Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    LOL I still remember the 70s style yellow short shorts with blue piping I wore for PT in boot LOL .
    I'll just say that you must have been stylin! My old stuff wasn't that pretty!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

wow. Old dudes.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I'll just say that you must have been stylin! My old stuff wasn't that pretty!
    Funniest part was we had this one private, he would wear his boxers under those shorts and well the boxers were longer than the shorts, so .........

we had another Private who wore NOTHING under his, so you definitely didn't want to be his situp buddy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    wow. Old dudes.
    Like you are all brand new and stuff! LOL!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Funniest part was we had this one private, he would wear his boxers under those shorts and well the boxers were longer than the shorts, so .........

we had another Private who wore NOTHING under his, so you definitely didn't want to be his situp buddy.
    Yeah, I didn't get those guys who liked to go "commando". They didn't do so well in the jungle and a lot of them had crotch-rot so bad you could smell em a mile away. Not good!
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Yeah, I didn't get those guys who liked to go "commando". They didn't do so well in the jungle and a lot of them had crotch-rot so bad you could smell em a mile away. Not good!
    I slugged it out in the jungle and we learned early on it was best to go commando as it did cut down on the crotch rot and rashes. Also twice a week they would bring out a pile of clean uniforms, push them off the chopper and we would go through them to find something that would fit. Underwear was not part of that delivery. And carrying changes of underwear in your pack was not practical, it just took up space and added weight. Wading streams or moving in a heavy rain meant everything got soaked.

As for PT. Try running the two miles in combat boots and regular fatigue pants. And try running 5 miles in full combat gear (daily). The only PT outfits we had were to take off our fatigue shirts. Taking off the shirt put you in full PT gear.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't wait til Gunny gets in this thread and calls all us Army guys pussies and tells us stories of how in Boot he had to run PT naked and shoeless 12 mile runs full combat pack , carrying an M60 , in 6" of snow UPHILL , BOTH ways.

just kidding Gunny

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I can't wait til Gunny gets in this thread and calls all us Army guys pussies and tells us stories of how in Boot he had to run PT naked and shoeless 12 mile runs full combat pack , carrying an M60 , in 6" of snow UPHILL , BOTH ways.

just kidding Gunny
    Your close but a little off. Naked and bare foot would reduce weight. Can't have that. The full combat pack is correct. Only the biggest guys in the platoon would have the M60's. The rest would carry M14's. The snow would only be there if it's available. UPHILL both ways is correct.

Our senior drill sergeant in basic was a Marine. First thing he told us was " You are not getting Marine boot training here. But I'm going to get as close to it as I can." I think the only thing that was missing was the hands on discipline.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    My luck and we would be sued! Maybe "Fat Bastards Anonymous"?

Do you think a fitness forum would be worth creating? I think it would be good at first and then slowly get ignored and die out - just like my diet attempts!
    How bout "Fatty Forum"...or something with a sexual overtures, like "Chub Club."

Kind of aside, but not really. I had my annual mall trip today, shopping for the wife, and a kiosk girl tried selling me on some sort of wickless candle air freshener, I said i'd buy if they had a bacon scent...Seriously though, how great would it be if you kitchen smelled like bacon? Mmmmm, bacon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Your close but a little off. Naked and bare foot would reduce weight. Can't have that. The full combat pack is correct. Only the biggest guys in the platoon would have the M60's. The rest would carry M14's. The snow would only be there if it's available. UPHILL both ways is correct.

Our senior drill sergeant in basic was a Marine. First thing he told us was " You are not getting Marine boot training here. But I'm going to get as close to it as I can." I think the only thing that was missing was the hands on discipline.
    Our senior drill sergeant was Satan himself. Fucker looked like Barney Rubble, but he was Satan. There is NOTHING worse than a ten mile march in six inches of sand in July in New Jersey while wearing full cammos, carrying a full combat load and an M16 right after going through the gas chamber . UGH, the gas chamber .......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gunny DID carry the M60 A1 7.62 mm. He could break it down and put it back together. Just sayin'.
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Backwards. They had to run backwards, naked and shoeless, uphill both ways.
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

My dad told me "never trust a fat guy with tattoos."
    So I married a fat guy without any.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Not the man in mirror I was talking to. However, you are correct. I turned 52 yesterday. And I don't have any new toys. I can't run. My knees are shot. I can however clean and press more than I weigh.
    Don't worry about it.

The only time you have to worry is if the twinkle in your eye is only the reflection of the sun on your bifocals

or if your joints are more accurate then the local weather forcast

Other then that - have fun

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I slugged it out in the jungle and we learned early on it was best to go commando as it did cut down on the crotch rot and rashes. Also twice a week they would bring out a pile of clean uniforms, push them off the chopper and we would go through them to find something that would fit. Underwear was not part of that delivery. And carrying changes of underwear in your pack was not practical, it just took up space and added weight. Wading streams or moving in a heavy rain meant everything got soaked.

As for PT. Try running the two miles in combat boots and regular fatigue pants. And try running 5 miles in full combat gear (daily). The only PT outfits we had were to take off our fatigue shirts. Taking off the shirt put you in full PT gear.
    Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I was talking about the guys who went commando during training where you get a shower everyday, etc. I too did the PT thing in combat boots; heck I used to smoke while running (plt sgt bringing up the rear...heh). As I remember, when PT/first started becoming really important, there was no PT uniform except as you describe and the test consisted of things like run/dodge/jump and grenade throw (???). It was just stupid. On a side not, I always hated wading streams etc because of the leeches. There were leeches without crossing streams for cryin out loud. I hate leeches!
    Thomas Jefferson