Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    yeah umm runner here remember. I can pick up a 60 but as for humping it around on top of a 75 lb ruck? NO.
    Yeah, try being the biggest MFer in the squad. At least I didn't have to hump my own ammo.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Here's one .... how many of you have sent an ass-gnat out to set up a claymore only to find yourself reading "Front Toward Enemy"?
    I set my own claymores and pointed them at the enemy. Sometimes if the enemy saw you placing them he would sneak up and turn them around. A grenade under the claymore put a stop to that.

This thread isn't hijacked, there was nothing more to be said about C-4. She asked about it and we told her. Now we are talking among ourselves.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Here's a pretty good explanation, offers technical specs, the rest is easily understood.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/c-42.htm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    I set my own claymores and pointed them at the enemy. Sometimes if the enemy saw you placing them he would sneak up and turn them around. A grenade under the claymore put a stop to that.

This thread isn't hijacked, there was nothing more to be said about C-4. She asked about it and we told her. Now we are talking among ourselves.
    In boot we had a douche throw his live fire grenade out of the foxhole not quite over the protective wall, it bounced off and right back into the foxhole he was standing in. Fast reflexes by the DI laying outside the foxhole saved his ass.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Food was big deal for us. It was delivered by chopper in containers when we ate regular meals. They sent one out every three or four days. Along with a case of c-rats person. We stuffed the light stuff in our packs and chopped up the rest and buried the cans cause you had to carry your food for the next three or four days.
    Yeppers. Our chow came in helo's and loaded onto mules and later on Hummers. That would be a four wheeled vehicle not the animal. We'd be out and about for a time and eventually make it to base camp / FOB. I remember that field showers rocked. The field mess, aka HOT CHOW and ALL YOU CAN eat, was the bomb. The Chief cook loved us when we came in because we were asking for seconds etc. Everyone else beefed over the T-rats.

Regiment has water buffalos and they got chlorinated. The really shit hot Regiments actually had chillers for the WB's.

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    This thread has been hijacked to the point where it is in need of some C-4. The military kind.
    Not hijacked. Simply very thorough instruction.
    Last edited by darin; 01-08-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This thread has been hijacked to the point where it is in need of some C-4. The military kind.
    Sorry - this thread is great. You started it with a question and it ended up these gentlemen sharing their experiences with the rest of us. We'll never be where they've been, never see what they've seen and never go through what they did. You might consider looking at it for the privilege it is.
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Sorry - this thread is great. You started it with a question and it ended up these gentlemen sharing their experiences with the rest of us. We'll never be where they've been, never see what they've seen and never go through what they did. You might consider looking at it for the privilege it is.
    Actually, since I prefer to live in the present, I see it more as this:

Glory Days (Bruce Springsteen)

I had a friend was a big baseball player back in high school
    He could throw that speedball by you
    Make you look like a fool boy
    Saw him the other night at this roadside bar I was walking in, he was walking out
    We went back inside sat down had a few drinks but all he kept talking about was

Glory days well they'll pass you by
    Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
    Glory days, glory days

Well there's a girl that lives up the block back in school she could turn all the boy's heads
    Sometimes on a Friday I'll stop by and have a few drinks after she put her kids to bed
    Her and her husband Bobby well they split up I guess it's two years gone by now
    We just sit around talking about the old times, she says when she feels like crying she starts laughing thinking about

Glory days, glory days

My old man worked 20 years on the line and they let him go
    Now everywhere he goes out looking for work they just tell him that he's too old
    I was 9 nine years old and he was working at the Metuchen Ford plant assembly line
    Now he just sits on a stool down at the Legion hall but I can tell what's on his mind

Glory days yeah goin back
    Glory days aw he ain't never had
    Glory days, glory days

Now I think I'm going down to the well tonight and I'm going to drink till I get my fill
    And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it but I probably will
    Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture a little of the glory of
    Well time slips away and leaves you with nothing mister but boring stories of glory days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

Saw him the other night at this roadside bar I was walking in, he was walking out

Glory days, glory days

Well there's a girl that lives up the block back in school she could turn all the boy's heads
    Sometimes on a Friday I'll stop by and have a few drinks after she put her kids to bed
    We just sit around talking about the old times, she says when she feels like crying she starts laughing thinking about

Glory days, glory days

Now everywhere he goes out looking for work they just tell him that he's too old
    I was 9 nine years old and he was working at the Metuchen Ford plant assembly line
    Now he just sits on a stool down at the Legion hall but I can tell what's on his mind

Glory days, glory days

Now I think I'm going down to the well tonight and I'm going to drink till I get my fill
    And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it but I probably will
    Well time slips away and leaves you with nothing mister but boring stories of glory days
    Why try and ruin your record being wrong ALL the time? Living in the present doesn't require forgetting who you are, what you're made of and where you came from. Take YOU for example. Living in the fag capitol of the world. You don't care what's right or what's wrong. You just vote for the (D) as mindlessly as a 2 years old. Your every loser experience brought you to this point.

Congrats.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Glory days, glory days

Glory days, glory days

Glory days, glory days

Living in the moment is good but you still need to know what happened before "your" moment.

These men helped give you the freedoms you have. Their stories are real and important. It's very good to learn about what came before us. If that is meaningless to you, well, I feel kinda sorry for you.
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Glory days, glory days

Glory days, glory days

Glory days, glory days

And that's our problem why? Sorry you don't get the bond men and women get from sharing military stories but you do have the the option of not reading

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've never even seen an MRE, had plenty of C-rats though and some were pretty damn good, as I recall. Still have and use a P-38 from the day. LOL

Starch? I still have a few pair of OD green fatigues in the duffel that are still stiff as a board, even after yrs of heat in the attic!
    I let my daughter put one on just so she knew what "Breaking Starch" was all about.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    I've never even seen an MRE, had plenty of C-rats though and some were pretty damn good, as I recall. Still have and use a P-38 from the day. LOL

Starch? I still have a few pair of OD green fatigues in the duffel that are still stiff as a board, even after yrs of heat in the attic!
    I let my daughter put one on just so she knew what "Breaking Starch" was all about.
    Damn ... you ARE a "seasoned citizen".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Springsteen. Wow i haven't seen him since about 1980 or so if the half-heimers is in effect.
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Damn ... you ARE a "seasoned citizen".
    Yeah but, NOT as "seasoned" as Gaffer or CSM ! Rock on guys!
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

Ohh-fucking-rah.