Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
Ooops, I'd meant I can understand why you are suspicious, in that the techniques used are suspect, not that you are. My apologizes Gunny.

So far as criminal justice being right-- Our justice system does make mistakes, as any creation of man is prone to error; therefore, it isn't 'right' in any absolute sense of the word. As to the purpose, I've always thought of justice, itself, being a purpose; realizing, of course, that is broad, thereby creating a need for prudent guidelines, like logical tests.

Where i think the problem develops, or at least gains traction, is the judge is the sole arbiter for admission of evidence; but one does have a right to jury, and I wish more people were aware of their rights and responsibilities when on a jury. As you said, sometimes laws themselves are outright wrong, or misapplied by officials, and the jury has the right to nullify a law they see has a unjust--but no court of law admonishes the jury of this ability, and forbids its suggestion by officers in the court.
Jury nullification is legal but should be used VERY sparingly.