Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    This started a few days ago and seems to be getting worse. It's the heel area, but on the sole of my foot. Ever stretch the "arch" of your foot and get that stinging pain, that generally lasts a few seconds and then subsides? I'm getting that but all the way to the back of my foot. Doesn't matter if I'm sleeping, sitting or working out, if I happen to stretch that portion of my foot, it HURTS like hell!

Any ideas?
    I've gotten that a few times. With me it looks like it was fallen arches (I had it in both feet), aka flat feet.

First time I got a couple rolls of white cloth first-aid tape, and started laying down strips in the middle of my shoes from front to back. Put more and shorter strips in the middle, building up the part under the arches, until it arched smoothly and was maybe 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick in the middle. Felt odd at first, but eventually (1-1/2 week or so) the pain went away and didn't return.

Basically I built up fairly-solid arch supports.

I've gotten it a few times since then, including right now. This time I got some 1/16" thick aluminum at the hobby shop (metal supply stores have it too), cu out some approx. D-shaped pieces (one for each foot), smoothed and rounded the edges, then bent them slightly into an arch shape, maybe 3/8 inch at the highest point. Right foot is fine now, left foot still has a problem, not sure why. Some day I may break down and actually see a podiatrist.

When I first put these metal arches in my shoes, again it felt weird. I refer to it as "walking on mountaintops". Becomes less noticeable as your feet get used to them, also as your arches press back into their proper shape. Body weight during ordinary walking, does the pressing.

Try it, who knows, you may like it. Got anything better to do?
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I'm afraid to even look that horrible looking name up? Is it a technical term for "fat body crushing heel"? LOL
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

I'm afraid to even look that horrible looking name up? Is it a technical term for "fat body crushing heel"? LOL
    Your arch is most likely plantar fascitis. Your heel could be several things. Heel bruises are common. So are heel spurs. The latter require surgery. The former requires rest.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

I've had it since 1998, non-stop. Every day.

Prednisone cleared my plantar fasciitis up in a few days.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I bought a set of soles with "better" arches to see if that helps overall. In addition to that, trying to ice/heat it when I have downtime.

Ever lay on your back and lift your legs straight up in the air, as if to do the "bicycle" exercise? That's when it REALLY hurts, as if the blood flowing, or gravity, is aggravating it. It's also bad when I first get up. Funny thing is, it rarely hurts from walking, mostly stretching it at certain angles and certain pressures.

I'm going to give it another week of babying it and see if it gets any better, then maybe see a doctor and at least get an xray.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

This started a few days ago and seems to be getting worse. It's the heel area, but on the sole of my foot. Ever stretch the "arch" of your foot and get that stinging pain, that generally lasts a few seconds and then subsides? I'm getting that but all the way to the back of my foot. Doesn't matter if I'm sleeping, sitting or working out, if I happen to stretch that portion of my foot, it HURTS like hell!

Any ideas?
    My next idea would be possibly heel spurs. In layman's terms, calcium deposits on your bones that impinge your tendons/ligaments and cause pain. The only cure for those I know is surgery.

Back to the original comment of yours, if you're getting cramps in your aches, try taking extra potassium and cutting down on the

You could also try one of those Dr Scholl's displays that has a foot-thing you stand on and it tells you what kind of inserts you need. Even if you don't want the inserts, it could give you an idea, what's wrong.

The BEST bet is go to a podiatrist. Why not? Obama says he'll pay for it.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Jim I have had plantar fasciitis for a few years now, it gets so bad I cant walk period, I have to use crutches but MM is exactly right a shot of Prednisone is what the Doc did for me and it felt 100% better the next day with in a couple days back to normal

That's what I thought was going on a couple weeks ago when they admitted me into the hospital for a infection, welcome to my world Jim, LOL
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Jim I have had plantar fasciitis for a few years now, it gets so bad I cant walk period, I have to use crutches but MM is exactly right a shot of Prednisone is what the Doc did for me and it felt 100% better the next day with in a couple days back to normal

That's what I thought was going on a couple weeks ago when they admitted me into the hospital for a infection, welcome to my world Jim, LOL
    My ex had to have surgery on both her arches she had plantar fascitis so bad. Nothing to do with feet is fun.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I had a doctor inject my heel with some sorta shit. The shot hurt so f'ing bad; hurt like getting kicked in the nuts by a nut-kicking robot. Never again.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

I had a doctor inject my heel with some sorta shit. The shot hurt so f'ing bad; hurt like getting kicked in the nuts by a nut-kicking robot. Never again.
    Most likely hydrocortizone or hydrocortisol.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Most likely hydrocortizone or hydrocortisol.
    I tell ya, whatever it was, sticking that needle into my fascias swollen 5 times normal size = probably the single most-painful experience of my life, other than the end of Old Yeller.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I tell ya, whatever it was, sticking that needle into my fascias swollen 5 times normal size = probably the single most-painful experience of my life, other than the end of Old Yeller.
    I make it a point to not watch the end-- even knowing how it ends, it gets me every time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Guess you've never broken a bone, huh? I think the single most painful thing I have every experienced was pleurisy. Think about something that will only not send a searing pain through your ribs with each breath if you stop breathing. Takes like 6 months to heal. Maybe less if you don't continue to go out and play basketball, lift weights and run every day.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

..passing a gallstone hurt like hell...but hard to compare. Once I bit through my tongue - had to get stitches in my F'ig TONGUE. Yeah - that may be the worst...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

..passing a gallstone hurt like hell...but hard to compare. Once I bit through my tongue - had to get stitches in my F'ig TONGUE. Yeah - that may be the worst...
    It's all relevant to experience. I cracked my left shin from almost the knee to the ankle using it as a block in a martial arts sparring match on the ship. Had a purple leg for quite awhile. THAT hurt. However, because I could walk (spelled: h-o-b-b-l-e), they wouldn't cast it. A cast would have gotten me a free ride off the ship early. Had I known that, I might have pulled a punter's flop.