Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    No, there is already a term for gays in the military.

AIR FORCE

BAZINGA!
    I ought to neg rep you for that.

Back when I was in the NG's were one level above boy scouts. Be careful where you go.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Today's 'weekend warriors' are a far cry from the slugs spoken-of even 15 years ago.

Today's National Guard is the reserve fighting force for the Nation's Wars. When I joined the guard after active duty, I expected out-of-shape losers. I was mistaken. My platoon Sergeant was a former Marine Gunny and one of the most squared-away guys I've met. We trained hard - yes, for two days a week a month. But when I wore the uniform I was 'sergeant' - just as much as while on Active duty.

Regarding 'REMF' - when I worked on the line I used to say the same shit about, say, our S1 (Personnel) guys. I used to laugh about how they'd just 'sit around' in the TOC (Tactical Operations Center). Here's the thing - yeah, when I was a Team leader life sucked. Our work was dirty and hot and all that. But, when I goofed up, my mistake would impact myself or my team - and i'd get chewed out by a Staff Sergeant or Sergeant First Class; maybe a Lieutenant. As I rose through the ranks, and changed jobs I ended up working in a 3-star command Personnel Center. When I worked at a much higher echelon, my mistakes could impact thousands of Soldiers; I'd get chewed out by a Sergeant Major, Major, or even Colonel.

It's just a different level of ass-chewin'. Different kind of stress.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

True, and there are a lot of folks who simply aren't eligible to do more than a desk job to begin with, but like you said , someone has to do them and there are those that do a good job at what they do.
    Not in my Marine Corps. If you cannot shoot, then you are like a hooker that won't fuck. Not worth the money paid to you.

And, in the Corps you don't have to be a grunt by MOS to become proficient at a whole shit load of breaking things skills. All you have to do is get in the front of the line every time there is a school seat or a deployment. Once the chain of command figures out that you actually mean all that oohrah stuff.... skys the limit.

Having said all that, there is 10% of every demographic that doesn't deserve to be where they are. I did know a couple of guys with laminated light duty chits. But, in my (thank God) experience it was a rarity. Just lucky I guess.
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pegwinn View Post
    Not in my Marine Corps. If you cannot shoot, then you are like a hooker that won't fuck. Not worth the money paid to you.

And, in the Corps you don't have to be a grunt by MOS to become proficient at a whole shit load of breaking things skills. All you have to do is get in the front of the line every time there is a school seat or a deployment. Once the chain of command figures out that you actually mean all that oohrah stuff.... skys the limit.

Having said all that, there is 10% of every demographic that doesn't deserve to be where they are. I did know a couple of guys with laminated light duty chits. But, in my (thank God) experience it was a rarity. Just lucky I guess.

Yes, the Marines are better than the other branches about every Marine a rifleman. But even Marines have specialties.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Yes, the Marines are better than the other branches about every Marine a rifleman. But even Marines have specialties.

My co-worker is a retired Gunny - she was a supply clerk/instructor. She was not - nor are most who don't do it for a living - a 'grunt' or 'infantryman'. An Army 11B (infantry) with a couple years on the job would be a good instructor for ANY service member separated from Basic Training by more than a few years. Now, her job was VERY important. Critical, actually. Like her Army Counterpart - whomever that was - ensuring our Missiles, 25mm ammo, M203 rounds, etc, was where it needed to be so we could use it.

There's one team, working for one fight.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    My co-worker is a retired Gunny - she was a supply clerk/instructor. She was not - nor are most who don't do it for a living - a 'grunt' or 'infantryman'. An Army 11B (infantry) with a couple years on the job would be a good instructor for ANY service member separated from Basic Training by more than a few years. Now, her job was VERY important. Critical, actually. Like her Army Counterpart - whomever that was - ensuring our Missiles, 25mm ammo, M203 rounds, etc, was where it needed to be so we could use it.

There's one team, working for one fight.
    I wasn't trying to imply that all Marines are grunts. Of course they aren't. I merely meant that ALL Marines DO receive more rifle training than all members of the other services do.

And I agree with you, front line or in the rear, everyone serves a purpose towards the common goal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just think it's odd that a guy who routinely defends his female friend, and gets mad if he even think someone is calling his woman a prostitute would turn around and call a woman a slut AND asks a guy why he's intervening. That's all.
    People can call me that all they want. I know who and what I am. And I consider the source of the comment.

Besides, I've never once gotten paid for sex.
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.