Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I am trying to substitute the bad stuff with fruits and veggies but there is no way an orange compares to a donute no matter how hard I try to convince myself.
    So have a donut. Just don't eat the whole box.

I tried that holistic, "only" healthy food crap more than twice in my life. It usually ends in binge on candy bars and donuts. You can't diet and train in absolutes. NO WAY an orange compares to a powdered Bavarian Creme. And when I can eat REAL Mexican food, I'm there.

The big picture is what matters here. Stick to your diet. But don't torture yourself. As long as you maintain your program(s), and eat sensibly for the most part, you'll be fine.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Honey is better for you than some things but still has lots of sugars in it. It's the one food that won't spoil, btw.

You're correct - eating right can be hard. I actually gave up ... I hate to even say it ... all sugar ... including chocolate at one point. Fortunately, I recovered.

Did the Glycemic Index diet for a while too. Lots and lots of food, mostly veggies and beans. It was ok but I was always eating and it is expensive to eat good foods. Not sure it made all that much impact on my health.
    The sugars in honey are good for you as they are natural. I've also been told a spoonful of honey a day from locally-made honey helps to quell one's allergies.

The glycemic index really just breaks down foods to protein, carbs and fats. The balance is individual based on metabolism. What they don't point out is that unused carbs turn to fat. Natural sugar is different than that which resides in your favorite fruit from the chocolate tree.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

I tried that holistic, "only" healthy food crap more than twice in my life. It usually ends in binge on candy bars and donuts. You can't diet and train in absolutes. NO WAY an orange compares to a powdered Bavarian Creme. And when I can eat REAL Mexican food, I'm there.

The big picture is what matters here. Stick to your diet. But don't torture yourself. As long as you maintain your program(s), and eat sensibly for the most part, you'll be fine.
    yeah, I'm with ya. Love me some REAL Mexican food too, though that is nearly impossible to get where I live. Thank goodness for my daughter-in-law; she makes some really good Mexican cuisine.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    yeah, I'm with ya. Love me some REAL Mexican food too, though that is nearly impossible to get where I live. Thank goodness for my daughter-in-law; she makes some really good Mexican cuisine.
    Last I had was about 1140 miles SOUTH of here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amen, gotta find that balance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    Amen, gotta find that balance.
    I blame Sylvester Stallone. Before First Blood came out, it was okay to have some muscle and a 2- pack. After that movie, everyone had to have a six-pack and that unachievable-by-most standard was set. Fact is, Stallone spent a couple weeks in the hospital following Rocky III because his bodyfat level was 3%. If you aren't genetically predispossessed to carry that low of a body fat percentage - which most of us aren't - you're just toruting yourself and possibly endangering your overall health trying to.

I rolled in at 7.9% bodyfat in 2000 (last time it was checked). I learned 20 years ago I wasn't willing to give up pizza and sodas for a "look". And I was a complete gym rat. Weights at 5 AM. Basketball or running during lunch. Martial arts at night. Still, no 6 pack. Bet NONE of those pretty boys can crank out 15 hanging leg raises or take a punch from a heavyweight (when I was a welterweight then lt heavyweight).

All that pretty LOOKS real nice. But does it work?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The sugars in honey are good for you as they are natural. I've also been told a spoonful of honey a day from locally-made honey helps to quell one's allergies.

The glycemic index really just breaks down foods to protein, carbs and fats. The balance is individual based on metabolism. What they don't point out is that unused carbs turn to fat. Natural sugar is different than that which resides in your favorite fruit from the chocolate tree.
    You can try the honey for allergies thing, honey. I know where they grow it.

And don't even be dissing the fruit of the chocolate tree. Abbey's on my side on that one.
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.