Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    You are an OLD vet if:

You slept in a barracks bay with 40+ other guys. yep

Had a foot locker display set up and ready for inspection (including shaving brush and tooth powder) Ours was a single wall locker with junk on the bunk, but yep anyway

Qualified with a weapon made before 1960 M16A1, not sure of vintage. Kept a nail in the vent holes of my cover for dope changes.

Dyed brown boots black Nope. I did make several pairs of black boots brown, muddy brown.

Wore starched fatigues Cammies. Originally poplin then woodland, then poplin again.

Had KP duty Mess Duty sucks no matter where you are.

Know what a bunk adapter is for I am afeared to ask.

Sent your clothes to the post laundry regularly Yep

Had to get a pass to leave post (and get back on) Yep, Camp Johnson. Then I introduced them (Libo Cards) at Camp Fuji in 2000. Heh. Should have heard the bitchin and moaning.

Know what a 3/4 ton is or even drove one know, drove, fixed, and knew a SSgt that could bench press (the front end) one.

Drove a gas engine 2 1/2 ton with automatic transmission uhhhhhhh nope, got me there.

Lots more but can't remember them all. I bet Gaffer does though, he's REALLy an old vet!
    Good Stuff SgtMaj
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    I hate to tell you, but if you ate C rats while in the service, you're old.

But I DO remember the Chicken Loaf MRE (most disgusting thing ever called food)
    Really. I was on my second enlistment before they foisted that shit on us. And I DO mean shit.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    You are an OLD vet if:

You slept in a barracks bay with 40+ other guys.

Had a foot locker display set up and ready for inspection (including shaving brush and tooth powder)

Qualified with a weapon made before 1960

Dyed brown boots black

Wore starched fatigues

Had KP duty

Know what a bunk adapter is for

Sent your clothes to the post laundry regularly

Had to get a pass to leave post (and get back on)

Know what a 3/4 ton is or even drove one

Drove a gas engine 2 1/2 ton with automatic transmission

Lots more but can't remember them all. I bet Gaffer does though, he's REALLy an old vet!
    I can add to that.

Ever slept in a 13 man quonset hut.

Used your boot bands to draw the underside of your top horse blanket tight underneath your rack for inspection.

Used Pledge on your shower tiles to make them appear clean.

Ran in stupid, useless red and yellow sneakers the Corps labeled "running shoes".

Wore red shorts and white t-shirts to PT.

When you get issued 2 sets of sateens and 2 stes of slant-pocket jungle cammies in boot camp.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I can add to that.

Used your boot bands to draw the underside of your top horse blanket tight underneath your rack for inspection.

Ran in stupid, useless red and yellow sneakers the Corps labeled "running shoes".

When you get issued 2 sets of sateens and 2 stes of slant-pocket jungle cammies in boot camp.

Ours were yellow with blue piping and so short they barely covered our dicks. I never did figure out what yellow and blue had to do with the Army LOL

Oh, and running shoes were the one piece of gear we were allowed to wear whatever we want. Nothing issued. Thank God, or my feet would probably still be recovering.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Ours were yellow with blue piping and so short they barely covered our dicks. I never did figure out what yellow and blue had to do with the Army LOL

Oh, and running shoes were the one piece of gear we were allowed to wear whatever we want. Nothing issued. Thank God, or my feet would probably still be recovering.
    The traditional colors of the calvary perhaps?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The traditional colors of the calvary perhaps?
    Color me stupid, I probably knew that at one time............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Color me stupid, I probably knew that at one time............
    You assume you weren't already colored that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

How about music? I always found myself sitting in the little stall in Thailand listening to the Scorpions. Or when the birds (leaking hydraulic fluid of course) dropped into Kuwait City with Metallica blaring over the loudspeaker.

Just a haunting moment in time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How about music? I always found myself sitting in the little stall in Thailand listening to the Scorpions. Or when the birds (leaking hydraulic fluid of course) dropped into Kuwait City with Metallica blaring over the loudspeaker.

Speaking of music. ANyone else still get a tear when they hear Wind Beneath My Wings?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Speaking of music. ANyone else still get a tear when they hear Wind Beneath My Wings?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey, that was the song when I came back home to my wife and kid back in the day. I didn't say it was some great rock ballad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Hey, that was the song when I came back home to my wife and kid back in the day. I didn't say it was some great rock ballad.
    Cool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can add to that.

Fuji, 29 Palms, and Talega on the Quonset Huts. Korea (Muchuck) for the eight man plywood "sea huts".

I used gator clips to tighten up the rack. And pledge will make a linolium deck slippery as hell.

got the same PT colors you had, but I got one set of jungles (trousers had a zipper) and three sets of poplins at PI. One drill instructor seemed determined to wear a sateen cover to death on those rare times it wasn't a smokey.

Over the LOD had a boom box playing "Let the bodies hit the floor" and "Die motherfucker die".
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pegwinn View Post
    Fuji, 29 Palms, and Talega on the Quonset Huts. Korea (Muchuck) for the eight man plywood "sea huts".

I used gator clips to tighten up the rack. And pledge will make a linolium deck slippery as hell.

got the same PT colors you had, but I got one set of jungles (trousers had a zipper) and three sets of poplins at PI. One drill instructor seemed determined to wear a sateen cover to death on those rare times it wasn't a smokey.

Over the LOD had a boom box playing "Let the bodies hit the floor" and "Die motherfucker die".
    I spent 4 years of my career at 29 Stumps. What's REALLY funny is when my daughter tries to tell people she was born at Twentynine Palms, CA. They're like, "no, really ...." Then she has to whip out the virth certificate that says she was born at MCAGCC Twentynine Palms, CA.

Ever go on a CAX? 84-86 I was pat of TEECG. Got the white headband and everything. Just don't tell Capt Jones. He let me drive for him only once. Apparently my approach to Dime Dingo in a Jeep didn't jive with his innards.

I was also one of "the few the proud" that got a Jeep up to BearMat. Most people flew.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I'm thinking you jarheads saw different parts of the world than us Army guys did or at least a different view from your balcony. However, I have slept in a quonset hut (slightly bigger than you describe), driven a jeep (what a piece of crap but fun nevertheless) into some very strange places and drove by Twentynine Palms once!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson