Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    Pfft whatever, your posts and LUV's posts are clearly geared towards trying to make it look like MOST cops are bad.

It's cool I'll just bow out of the topic and yall can have at. No harm no foul.
    That's not what they are saying Conhog. That is what you are projecting though. It's always going to be case by case. There are times when the water is so muddied nobody will even know the truth for sure. That happens everyday when dealing with humans. Regarding Tazers, there are health issues especially with people with health conditions, heart, asthma, epilepsy, to name a few. Bringing the issues out helps the situation. I'm pro Law, I'm pro Law Enforcement. That does not mean I am blind or deaf. Where change needs to be effected, we effect change..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intense View Post
    That's not what they are saying Conhog. That is what you are projecting though. It's always going to be case by case. There are times when the water is so muddied nobody will even know the truth for sure. That happens everyday when dealing with humans. Regarding Tazers, there are health issues especially with people with health conditions, heart, asthma, epilepsy, to name a few. Bringing the issues out helps the situation. I'm pro Law, I'm pro Law Enforcement. That does not mean I am blind or deaf. Where change needs to be effected, we effect change..
    I completely agree with that sentiment, bad cops should be punished and bad policy should be changed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Profiling DOES work, but do you think patrol men are taught how to do it? Sheesh LUV.
    of course they are, maybe not officially....
    I DONT CLAIM TO KN0OW ANYTHING ABOUT HUMAN NATURE
    N
    OIR DO I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CRITICAL THINKING

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and for every bad cop story you post I could post a good cop story..
    cop stories are SUPPOSE to be good....

The simple fact of the matter is MOST people end an encounter with a cop with little more than a ticket. If that even.

That doesn't mean ALL cops are good honest people worthy of the badge, because they are not, but MOST are.

If you can't stop acting as if all or even a majority of cops are bad, I'm just going to bow out of this conversation.
    Nobody said anything about most, all or any percentage at all, the problem is the good ones cover up for the bad ones...
    N

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pfft whatever, your posts and LUV's posts are clearly geared towards trying to make it look like MOST cops are bad..
    ME ? I'm not even the one who posted any of those videos, pfffft
    and nobody said MOST, thats on you for reading into it, or putting words in other peoples mouths.
    Even if its only one in a million, when that one is caught, he should receive equal if not more punishment than a civilian doing the same thing, but they dont.

It's cool I'll just bow out of the topic and yall can have at. No harm no foul.
    You've said that twice now, guess you're still stradling the fence

another problem is too many people believe cops dont lie
    N

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvRPgrl View Post
    of course they are, maybe not officially....
    Yes...even officially in some cases I would bet. Law inforcement uses criminal profiling all the time to help investigate crimes...you can't tell me these techniques aren't taught to officers who have been extensively trained in all of the other police methods.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Yes...even officially in some cases I would bet. Law inforcement uses criminal profiling all the time to help investigate crimes...you can't tell me these techniques aren't taught to officers who have been extensively trained in all of the other police methods.
    You guys really think barney fife is taught to profile eh? Thelocal patrol u itw write ticketsand thats about it. Detectives profile somewhat but patrolman? No

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

You guys really think barney fife is taught to profile eh? Thelocal patrol u itw write ticketsand thats about it. Detectives profile somewhat but patrolman? No
    In all fairness shadow said criminal profiling; someone who exhibits criminal behavior would certainly be profiled as a criminal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    In all fairness shadow said criminal profiling; someone who exhibits criminal behavior would certainly be profiled as a criminal.
    That's not profiling though, that's just realizing someone is doing something criminal. That's like suggesting that calling someone you see driving down the road is profiling that person as a driver. No it isn't.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's not profiling though, that's just realizing someone is doing something criminal. That's like suggesting that calling someone you see driving down the road is profiling that person as a driver. No it isn't.
    Or, realizing the Someone you are noticing has a repeated criminal history. That's profiling and justifiable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intense View Post
    Or, realizing the Someone you are noticing has a repeated criminal history. That's profiling and justifiable.
    Again, that isn't profiling. That's simply using information gathered. Profiling would be if you used that knowledge of criminal history along with other information and suspected the subject was either guilty of or planning on committing other crimes.

That really isn't what patrolmen do, they simply stop crimes that they DO see happening, or have received a call about.

Profiling is a tool that police use, BUT it is also a tool that a cop has to be trained in extensively to minimize the chances of a bad profile, otherwise it's just useless.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Again, that isn't profiling. That's simply using information gathered. Profiling would be if you used that knowledge of criminal history along with other information and suspected the subject was either guilty of or planning on committing other crimes.

That really isn't what patrolmen do, they simply stop crimes that they DO see happening, or have received a call about.

Profiling is a tool that police use, BUT it is also a tool that a cop has to be trained in extensively to minimize the chances of a bad profile, otherwise it's just useless.
    Not by me Conhog. I live in the 110th Precinct, in NYC. It is very busy. The Cops do what they do. There really isn't anyone around to nit pick what they do either. There are all different kinds of jurisdictions, climates, atmospheres around the country, all playing by their own rules of engagement. They are not all the same. When you are stopped here, for a suspicion, stated or not, you have been profiled. It's done every day.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs110pct.pdf

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would think it depends on years of service. A rookie starts out with about 12 to 14 weeks of training,but police officers and detectives are required to take continuing education classes...and many end up with a degree in criminal justice. Infact some of the kids I went to college with did it in the reverse...got the degree first...then went to the Police Academy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

starting in the mid-1980s with the introduction of crack cocaine in America’s cities.7 Then, as that epidemic subsided, violent crime rates started a historic decline, dropping to rates lower than those seen in the 1960s, with another 12% decline from 2009 to 2010 reported last month by the FBI.8 Less well known is the story of property crime, which has been in steady decline since the early 1970s. Our rates of property crime today are half their level when the decline started. These are remarkable stories. Who among us – particularly those working in this field for the past 25 years – would have thought we could stand in our nation’s capital and say that crime rates are at their lowest levels in our professional lifetimes?
    I draw three lessons from this story. First, we need a much better understanding of why this happened. I can think of no stronger indictment of our field than this: we do not have a satisfactory, much less a sophisticated, understanding of the reasons that crime has increased and decreased so dramatically. Imagine we were meeting at a medical convention, noting that the incidence of one type of cancer had dropped in half since 1970, and another type of cancer devastated America’s inner cities, particularly its communities of color, for several years, then dropped precipitously. Would we not expect the medical research community to have a deep understanding of what happened, what treatments worked, what environmental factors influenced these results, and which strains of these cancers proved particularly resistant? Of course we would.
    So, the crime scientists among us need to get to work, with appropriate funding from foundations and the federal government, to help us understand our own history of crime trends. And, looking forward, we need to develop a much more sophisticated data infrastructure to allow us to track crime trends in real time.9 Think about this the next time you hear about a business report on television: If economists can tell us which sectors of the economy were growing or declining last month, certainly we can build a data infrastructure to help us understand crime trends last year.
    A second lesson: we need to rethink what we mean by “crime prevention.” Too often we narrowly define “crime prevention” only in terms of programmatic investments in young people to help them lead more productive, pro-social lives. But clearly, over the past forty years, this historic decline in crime rates has not come about because we invested massively in programs that helped our young people avoid criminal activity. Other policy choices have also made a difference. Let me give one example: according to a provocative new book by Frank Zimring on the crime decline in New York City, that city’s auto theft rate in 2008 is 6 percent –six percent–

of what it was in 1990.10 How were those crimes prevented? How much can be attributed to changes in safety practices and theft-prevention technologies developed by the auto industry, by new federal regulations requiring marking of auto parts to deter the operation of chop shops, and by more effective police investigations? My point is simple: a rigorous, scientific exploration of changes in crime rates will identify a broad set of practices that prevent crime, assign costs and benefits to those practices, and hopefully help us invest money and political capital in those crime prevention strategies that are proven to reduce harm. If we are passionate about reducing our crime rates even further by 2036, we will broaden our frame of reference and bring many more sectors of our society to the crime prevention table.
    There’s a third, uncomfortable lesson of the great American crime decline: we have no reason to be complacent. The rates of lethal violence in America are still higher than in Europe, by a factor of five. (Our rates of property crime are, we should note, lower than in Europe.) And, if we were ruthless about our science, we must confront the reality that violent crime is highly concentrated in a small number of communities of color in urban America, and in those communities is concentrated among a small number of young men. These men are at high risk of being both victims of violence, and agents of violence.

http://johnjay.jjay.cuny.edu/extra2/...jectSpeech.pdf

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Totally agree. My FIL was 30 years on the job. Whether or not officers take specific courses, they learn it in OJT. Just common sense.

Aside from that, anyone who has read a book by John Douglas or watched Investigation Discovery can start to "profile" people in their own little way. We all do it every day, though mostly subconsciously.
    Profiling: The recording and analysis of a person's psychological and behavioral characteristics, so as to assess or predict their capabilities in a certain sphere or to assist in identifying a particular subgroup of people
    https://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=prof...w=1902&bih=901

Shoot, Cesar Millan was doing it like crazy when I watched him on NatGeo Wild last night. He profiles canines but it's still assessing a person (or animal) by their habits and the behaviors they exhibit.
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.