Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
But..But.. But.. Jim it's for the children!!! You know that old rally cry of the Libs.

don't get me wrong I am all for charity and helping to take care of less fortunate but... heres the rub MOST of those kids on free lunches and breakfasts ALREADY RECEIVE FOOD STAMPS AND ASSISTANCE. I have had this argument ad nauseam, it truely does make me sick and as long as we have the Con's ofthe world constantly making excuses for bad parents with the rallying cry of "its for the children" we will continue to have BAD PARENTS

You are talking ONE school district but when you add all the reduced/free lunches and breakfast around the country you are talking a NOT SO SMALL amount of money.....
I love that my points were skipped so everyone can continue taking a shot at CH, that the food budget for the school wouldn't change, that not every parent has the TIME in the morning to make lunch because they have jobs (Or are doing Labor Ready for extra money, meaning they're out the door before 3 am), and oh yeah, the school has to get the food anyhow, and ends up just throwing it out, thus completely and utterly wasting it as opposed to using it to help feed some kids.

Now let's have another talk, this time about food stamps. Food stamps takes into account that the kids will be receiving free or reduced cost lunches at school. It's part of the equation that goes into how much is being given to the families, so what you're proposing is now raising the food stamps allotment, likely by more than what would be done at school. Now, the school still has to order the same amount of food daily, cause you know, the kid still attends the school, but now the kid brings his lunch off the extra food stamp money, since EBT cards don't work in school cafeterias, so we've managed to do some shift over on where the food money comes from, but otherwise, we've just wasted a ton of food at school.

Seems to me the school lunches are more controlled, since it's the school that determines the lunch menu, and thus the kid is likely going to eat healthier than whatever's being sent from home, as I've seen the shopping lists of families on food stamps, and since there really isn't that much to go around, they end up buying whatever's cheap to get the biggest band for their buck, as opposed to health concerns.

Now, as to the actual topic of the thread, that being the whole point that we're using genetically engineered proteins in almost all of our food, along with making genetically engineered corn that exudes insecticides, does anyone have an opinion, or should a new thread be started for the tangent?