Not sure if this was posted already or not, but here's another take from a Planned Parenthood in Virginia:

“Patients who have a surgical abortion generally come in for two appointments. At the first visit we do a health assessment, perform all the necessary lab work, and do an ultrasound. This visit generally takes about an hour. At the second visit, the procedure takes place. This visit takes about an hour as well. For out of town patients for whom it would be difficult to make two trips to our office, we’re able to schedule both the initial appointment and the procedure on the same day.

Medical abortions generally require three visits. At the first visit, we do a health assessment, perform all the necessary lab work, and do an ultrasound. This visit takes about an hour. At the second visit, the physician gives the first pill and directions for taking two more pills at home. The third visit is required during which you will have an exam and another ultrasound.”
And from the article:

From a health perspective, these ultrasounds are critical. They detect the exact age of the fetus, which often dictates which type of abortion procedure the woman can receive. They can also spot potential complications that could impact the procedure, like ectopic pregnancies. In clinics that don’t have access to ultrasound technology, sometimes pelvic exams can be used as a substitute. But those are arguably just as invasive as the transvaginal ultrasounds pro-choice activists are decrying.
I'm wondering, if these procedures were not done, and something like the bold should happen, or a patient is injured as a result of something that could have been detected with an ultrasound - would they want any type of recourse, whether monetarily or against a physicians right to practice. I would almost go as far as to say it's up to the doctor. Should something go wrong, they can be held liable for malpractice. At any rate, there are other articles out there just like this one but from other states. It seems the more I find the more I believe that PP's policy is like this all over.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/20...e/#more-784472