Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

he isn't saying that they can't teach their kids, but that they should have a say on certain issues taught in school.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Samantha;55936]
    Apparently you and your wife are homeschooling your kids so you can control everything they learn. And you don't let them play with other kids in the nieghborhood, so you can control what they learn. You obviously don't let them watch TV or use the internet either, so you can control what they learn. They don't have cell phones, you wouldn't be able to control what they hear on them. And you never let the rest of your family or friends talk to them or even talk when they are in the room, to control what they learn.

Right?

No not right. Our kids go to school just like everyone else. But I still dont want any teacher teaching my children about sex. That is the parents job. If you are wise you will do it at a point in time that will diffuse what their buds tell them later. You will also leave the door open so that they will ask you questions when they have them. Its really not rocket science. I cant undrestand why any parent would want sex ed taught in school.
    There is no wrong way to do the right thing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doniston View Post
    Unfortunately many parents wouldn't touch the subject with a ten---- (no, make that thirty) foot pole. But good for you if YOU would.
    I have and I will again. It is a pretty important part of being a parent IMO.
    There is no wrong way to do the right thing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by remie View Post
    I have and I will again. It is a pretty important part of being a parent IMO.
    (repeat more strongly)GOOD
    Who else is as much a Bush-basher as I???
    An Italian Confusious Say: "He who throwist mud, losith ground"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    What a huge pile of hyperbole crap! Who is stopping parents from teaching their kids?
    Well, Celine? Samantha seems to be objecting to your implication that if state-run schools don't teach kids these moral issues, no one will. She's also calling it names - something you'll have to get used to from her.

Feel free to reply any time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
    What a classic reply. I stipulate that parents should have some say in how their own kids learn such thing, where others seem to think parents should have none. And your eyes bug out and you shrill that if government schools don't teach the kids, no one will teach them.

I couldn't have illustrated the blinders-on modern-liberal mindset better than you just did. I bow to a master!

With you it's like it has to be black or white, one extreme or another. Us "libs" protest "abstinence-only" programs so you think that must mean that we're calling for the negation of all morals. Well, you're wrong. I think teaching kids that abstinence is the best birth control is great, but I also think that a basic--yes government--education in the fundamentals of sex and sexual reproduction is a necessity. And hey, guess what, I think parentals SHOULD have a say in what their kids learn in sex ed. Wow. I know the world is spinning for you right now, but try to focus...the groundwork for the last point I made--you know, the radical one about how I think parentals should have a say--is already in place. Ever heard of a schoolboard meeting? Parentals can petition and speak in front of the board in these meetings--even become members of the board--in order to influence sex ed curriculum. Now take a deep breath, I know it's a lot to take in.

I'm a staunch believer that only "abstinence-only" programs do not work. The reasons--leading back to common sense--are quite simple. There are currently billions of dollars being spent on these programs all over the country yet teen pregnancy rates are as high as ever--as high as Snoop Dog no less! I think some teens are going to have sex regardless of what they are told in abstinence-only programs. They're going through adolescence. Their bodies are coursing with sex hormones--if you're human you'll probably remember how horny you were all the time during highschool--this is how your kids feel too believe it or not. Sometimes will-power isn't enough to overpower their bodies' raging desire to mate. Wouldn't an education in the subject give them the foundation necessary to make a proper decision? And don't even get me started on making certain types of birth control available for those who need it.

You remember being a teen. If they're going to have sex, more often than not, they plan "the big day" well in advance. They're scared, excited and, especially if it's their first time, they're ignorant about it. If they're going to do it anyway, wouldn't you want them to have protection? Most of the time the teen-preggers-girls are the lower class ones in the school. Isn't it in the best interest of the country that these chicks (and the dudes they mate with) aren't reproducing? Hey I've got an idea to solve this conundrum...Condoms! It's like these great ideas just come to me. I have a gift.

I have kept in mind all along that your relationship with your kid may very well be the tops. Your kid might share everything, even sex questions, with you and you may be planning to or have already given them a beautiful, all-encompassing speech covering all the finer points of the birds and the bees. But the fact of the matter is that not all, in fact I'd guess that most other parentals don't have the kind of relationship you have with your kid. Don't you think that it's in the best interest of society as a whole to give kids some sort of fundamental sexual education AS WELL AS preaching "abstinence-only" dogma to them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    There are currently billions of dollars being spent on these programs all over the country yet teen pregnancy rates are as high as ever--as high as Snoop Dog no less! ?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sex is a beautiful thing and should be practiced as much as humans want so long as they do it responsibly.

It should be taught as a choice, and kids should not be swayed to practice chastity or not to. No religious imprecations should be taught in a public schools sex ed class. Those are to be taught privately by the child’s parents if they practice a particular religion that does not agree with sex before marriage.

Kids should only be taught this:

These are the risks you take when having sex before marriage or partnership:
    -STD's (Possible death can play into this category)
    -Getting pregnant
    The best way to avoid these problems is to not have sex, or to wait until you have a relationship that is honest. (Marriage, partnership, boyfriend-girlfriend ect..)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    Why is it common sense to do anything other than promote chastity? The only way to prevent the consequences of sex is to remain chaste until marriage.

I really don't want an answer because it's none of my business, but I have to ask anyway. Were you a virgin when you got married?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lily View Post
    I really don't want an answer because it's none of my business, but I have to ask anyway. Were you a virgin when you got married?
    Im not married and I am a virgin. and you are right, its none of your business.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    Im not married and I am a virgin. and you are right, its none of your business.

.........as I said it was none of my business........but at least you practice what you preach.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lily View Post
    .........as I said it was none of my business........but at least you practice what you preach.
    Course I do. No point doing otherwise.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Common sense is not largely favored on this board. Especially the ones who prefer to have women ignorant and pregnant.
    It's not like the male posters were virgins when they married. Unless they couldn't get any.