Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I just got off the phone with my buddy, Amir. He's a police officer in my town who I met at the coffee shop (no donuts there). He's a movie nut like me and a rock fan, so I'm always burning movies and albums for him. I'm taking him in about 10 minutes to pick up a new TV set in my truck.

Anyway, he was born in Iran and moved to the States when he was 10. You'd never know it as he doesn't look different and has no accent and is almost fully "Americanized". He not only acknowledged that Iran is a part of the Middle East, his exact words were "Of course it's a part of the Middle East". That comes from an Iranian.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Well, of course it's part of the Middle East!

Darn.

I think it's stretching it a little when people call Afghanistan or Pakistan "Middle East," but Iran? Duh.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I know Persia/Iran was distinctly not Arab, atleast until the mid- 7th century; with the attack of the Arabs, or as is preferred now, the dawn of islam.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    I know Persia/Iran was distinctly not Arab, atleast until the mid- 7th century; with the attack of the Arabs, or as is preferred now, the dawn of islam.
    Iran is not Arab, agreed. it's still part of the Middle East. Same regarding Turkey.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

The entire modern world considers Iran to be a part of the Middle East, including Iran themselves. Yes, they are part of Western Asia. No, they are not Arab. But neither of those change the fact that Iran is a part of the Middle East.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
    Well, of course it's part of the Middle East!

Darn.

I think it's stretching it a little when people call Afghanistan or Pakistan "Middle East," but Iran? Duh.
    Those countries are very close. Iran is smack dab in the middle of the "Middle East" - and Afghanistan and Pakistan are also part of what is referred to as the "greater middle east".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    The entire modern world considers Iran to be a part of the Middle East, including Iran themselves. Yes, they are part of Western Asia. No, they are not Arab. But neither of those change the fact that Iran is a part of the Middle East.
    Indeed. All of middle east is in Asia or Northern Africa. Some Arab, some not. Iran, not Arab.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Indeed. All of middle east is in Asia or Northern Africa. Some Arab, some not. Iran, not Arab.
    Yep, currently arguing with another buddy of mine from Morocco. He says his country is Northern Africa, which I agree with. I further told him, that Morocco, Egypt and Algeria are lumped in as part of the greater middle east, and he bugged out like it was some sort of insult.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yep, currently arguing with another buddy of mine from Morocco. He says his country is Northern Africa, which I agree with. I further told him, that Morocco, Egypt and Algeria are lumped in as part of the greater middle east, and he bugged out like it was some sort of insult.
    Huh! That's a surprise.

Must be some cultural distinctions they are making that we don't understand.

Remember when Europeans were always trying to call everyone in this entire hemisphere "Americans"?

We didn't like that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
    Huh! That's a surprise.

Must be some cultural distinctions they are making that we don't understand.

Remember when Europeans were always trying to call everyone in this entire hemisphere "Americans"?

We didn't like that.
    Yep, and factually, "The Americas" are much larger than just the US of A. I think with all the turmoil and violence in the ME over the years, that some now take it as an insult to be associated with the area. And I can 'almost' see bordering countries arguing, but claiming Iran isn't a part of the Middle East? That's laughable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

On the Arab Street

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[B]A) Shia'ism
    B) none

So far so good Jaffy Baby....now one step further, what Sect of "Shia"?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Get used to it jimneyc.

Seems like that kind of thing always happens whenever you confront someone with Honest, Truthful facts they cannot dispute.
    Eventually. That is when they begin to start using the name calling, and making accusations about other people who do not know who their father was.
    But then. That is the most appropriate description of the many Countries located in the M.E. that live, and thrive on Ignorance, Hatred, and Killing anyone who disagree's with them in any way.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !