If you're gonna ignore option 3, I'd go with option 1-- second place is the first loser!
But seriously, I was having this conversation with the wife last night...in bed...
Kidding, no we were talking about phelps taking second in the 200 fly and she was saying he was off his game and a disappointment, and I have to disagree-- his performance in Beijing (7/8 gold) was/is unprecedented and shouldn't be used as the standard we judge athletes, even him. There is more to competition than merely Being first, it's the experience that counts. So far as that goes, im sure the experience of winning the gold means more to de clos (sp), the south african swimmer who won, than it would have phelps--he wanted it more, and earned the gold-- phelps didn't give it to him. Besides, Not having done what it takes to get there, let alone place or win, I don't think it's something that one can really sit back and judge from gallery. I do feel bad for that gymnast that placed fourth overall in qualifications, but third on the us team, and can't compete in the individual all-around due to the 2/team rules. But hey, she got a gold medal in the Olympics-- Not exactly pitiful...if it was silver, that'd be different.