Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    I have been referring to my Book of Mormon and how it came to pass. But after reading what you wrote, that does sound like the story i grew up knowing as to how he was told not to join other churches. I realized just now that my account is later on than your account. So yes, i do recall your story.

As a child, mom remarried a Mormon man. Prior to that, I was not attending any church. Dad died in Dec 1995 and that is the last time I was in the church for his service. My youngest sister remains very active in her ward. I was a pretty steady attender until I bought the first new car late in 1956. Mom and Dad at the time also was not going to church quite as much and since I could go as i pleased, I just got out of the habit. Over the years, they moved 5 hrs north into the CA redwoods and there they were very active. I was sealed in the Manti Temple to my parents when I was 17 when they got the temple marriage performed.

My family was among the founders of Salt Lake City and in that city we have a time capsule that is opened each half century. The last time it was opened, we were able to Xerox documents dating to the 1800s that had lots of rich church history in them.
    you have alot of passion for someone who hasn't been to church for a while. I would invite you to come back and attend your ward. They need you. and you need them.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Can't that same claim be made about all religions? Wasn't Islam simply made up? Difference is we don't declare Jihad nor cut off heads nor stone women who were raped.
    Didn't Samuel Smith make up the Book of Mormon?
    Please explain why there is more violence in the Book of Mormon that in the Quran or the Bible.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Please explain why there is more violence in the Book of Mormon that in the Quran or the Bible.
    No.

How exactly do you compare violence?

And why don't you read the Book of Mormon for yourself? Then you can determine how violent it really is.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    No.

How exactly do you compare violence?

And why don't you read the Book of Mormon for yourself? Then you can determine how violent it really is.

avatar. Forget Gabby, and Noir. Both of them are pure BIGOTS. Double-talking, hypocrites who only come here to prove how stupid they really are. Talking out of their ANAL cavities, thinking they make sense. But all they get is the stink, blowing back in their faces.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    avatar. Forget Gabby, and Noir. Both of them are pure BIGOTS. Double-talking, hypocrites who only come here to prove how stupid they really are. Talking out of their ANAL cavities, thinking they make sense. But all they get is the stink, blowing back in their faces.
    Christ said to reach out to everyone. and to love even your enemies. I dont really consider either an enemy. So I think i should at least talk to them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Christ said to reach out to everyone. and to love even your enemies. I dont really consider either an enemy. So I think i should at least talk to them.
    avatar. I agree. And like you. I was taught to love others by reaching out to them. In fact. I do not consider them my enemy. My enemies are working to destroy our nation, and working to destroy any future My Five Grandchildren rightfully should expect to have.

The Lords Prayer tells of Leading us from Evil, and I avoid it whenever I can. But there are no verses in the Bible that teach us to always agree with those who are among the less educated, or who hate without forgiveness. That's where I draw the line. And there are some of our Fellow Human beings...some Americans who "KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO."
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's why we should be striving to live a Christ-like life and always encouraging others to do the same. So that they will know what they do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)

That's not at all accurate. We believe that it's only through Christ that we can be redeemed.
    It's not my intention to misrepresent LDS teachings. But just so were clear.
    what you just said is the you believe that it's only through Christ that we can be redeemed.
    so does that mean it's not Christ PLUS all your good works and obedience to temple rituals to get the 3rd level of heaven LDS describes?

I've read that these Mormon verses mean it's really Jesus plus all the good works that you can do at your best effort.

Moroni 10:32 and 2 Nephi 25:23

And i mentioned several things about the LDS portrayal of God, were they essentially correct?
    God was a man like us at one point?
    There are many gods not just one true god and we can be one too?
    Last edited by revelarts; 10-23-2012 at 12:49 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am shocked you read all of the Book of Mormon. How else could you make such a claim?

11 Witnesses stated they saw the plates that Joseph Smith translated. I can't explain why any of anything took place. One would have to know why men do things that get written about.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    what you just said is the you believe that it's only through Christ that we can be redeemed.
    so does that mean it's not Christ PLUS all your good works and obedience to temple rituals to get the 3rd level of heaven LDS describes?

I've read that these Mormon verses mean it's really Jesus plus all the good works that you can do at your best effort.

And i mentioned several things about the LDS portrayal of God, were they essentially correct?
    Avatar is more current on doctrine than I am. That stipulated, this is what I recall.

Everybody that goes to any church does works. If a person brings up religion and discusses it, the person is doing works. I believe you make far too much out of the word works. We believe in Jesus and believe we will live eternally by his grace. We believe this is the plan of God the eternal father.

We do teach about three forms of heaven. We do believe that there was a day when God was a man. Do you accept that Jesus was a man? Christian churches believe Jesus lived as a man. That he is God. I don't get your problem.

What if you were told by a teacher that there was only one human? Would that make sense?

We believe that God the creator has such awesome power that he can create Gods.

Can you think of any Christian church that teaches that God lacks the power to accomplish that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post

We keep the commandments and covenants we make with God because He asks us to and we love Him. Not because we can earn our salvation. Salvation comes through Christ.

The Book of Mormon clearly testifies of our need for the Atonement of Christ. Mosaiah 13:28 states "were it not for the atonement, which God himself shall make for the sins and iniquities of his people, that they must unavoidably perish, notwithstanding the law of Moses"

Amulek testified: "For it is expedient that an atonement should be made; for according to the great plan of the Eternal God there must be an atonement made, or else all mankind must unavoidably perish; yea, all are hardened; yea, all are fallen and are lost, and must perish except it be through the atonement which it is expedient should be made." (Alma 34:9)

Jacob taught: "Wherefore, it must needs be an infinite atonement—save it should be an infinite atonement this corrup
    </page-break>tion could not put on incorruption. Wherefore, the first judgment which came upon man must needs have remained to an endless duration. And if so, this flesh must have laid down to rot and to crumble to its mother earth, to rise no more." (2 Nephi 9:7)

One of the missions of the Book of Mormon is to point people to Christ and to His atoning sacrifice. Because it is only through the atonement that mankind can be redeemed. It is through His atonement that we are all promised Immortality through the Resurrection. It is through the Atonement that we have the opportunity to Repent. It's through the Atonement we are justified. and it's through the Atonement that we are sanctified.

It is the atonement that empowers us and gives us the ability to follow Christ and keep our covenants.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

11 Witnesses stated they saw the plates that Joseph Smith translated. I can't explain why any of anything took place. One would have to know why men do things that get written about.
    None of the 11 'witnesses' actually saw the plates, they only had visions of seeing them. Smith, as far as records show, was the only human to ever see the physical plates with his eyes.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Samuel Smith

Maybe in your case it's a good thing that teaching about religion isn't allowed in your school! Next I want to hear about Oliver and Maxwell Wright's flight in Raliegh, NC. and President Alexander Lincoln's leadership during the civil war.
    Last edited by tailfins; 10-23-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    Samuel Smith

Maybe in your case it's a good thing that teaching about religion isn't allowed in your school! Next I want to hear about Oliver and Maxwell Wright's flight in Raliegh, NC. and President Alexander Lincoln's leadership during the civil war.

And Thomas Alfred Addlelson's INVENTION OF THE LIGHTBULB..
    I guess her being , "smarter than you are", has some very severe limitations which she so desperately needs to attend to.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post

And Thomas Alfred Addlelson's INVENTION OF THE LIGHTBULB..
    I guess her being , "smarter than you are", has some very severe limitations which she so desperately needs to attend to.

Oh, gee. Alexander Lincoln? What did he free? Cell phones for idiots?
    So, this is for them.