Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
What adjustments is the question. Have him still do homework first, but know what it is ahead of time, and set aside time afterwards to go over it with him? Certainly makes sense. This should leave only evenings free, and we can map out a plan about game time, reading, showering and the other stuff.

He does do better on tests than his homework and organization skills show. But the overall average still brings him down. He passes by doing this, but doesn't "learn" as much as he should. And I want to instill good habits and organization in him and make him learn that "just getting by" is the wrong way to go about things.
this was me in high school. I truly regret what I could have learned. Yes, for the most part I've 'caught up' on my own, but how much further I could have been?

To the top, seems to me that when he gets home, be it 3:30 or 6:30, he needs decompressing. All kids do. 15 minutes if 3:30; Dinner and 15 if 6:30. Then homework until finished, for most kids that should be within eyes of parents, meaning kitchen or dining room table.

Supplies should be close at hand: poster boards in various colors, markers, pens, pencils, colored pencils, glue stick, calculator, dictionary, thesaurus, graph paper; etc. Parents should know the website of children's homework, whether or not the texts are online, most are.