Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    On the weekend I found free parking in Staten Island about 5 blocks from the ferry terminal.
    Is it in Staten Island or on Staten Island?

I was at the ferry terminal one time and that was in February of 1964. I had used the subway system for the first time in October of 1962 and they were filthy. In 1964, they appeared very clean and well kept. I hear that they are back to filthy?

My then living brother was an employee of Wall St and he toured me around Manhattan. We did manage to take the ferry but simply came back to Manhattan. He also took me to see the then site of the 64 world fair and my god it was bone numbing cold. And I had just got to NY City from Germany. It must have been the wind and the water making me colder.

My brother got ill at Staten Island and died soon after at a teaching hospital his pals took him to. That was in the mid 1980s.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

When I was at Cal, they had designated parking places for those with disabilities. Enforcing such was low on the list of priorities, so they enlisted volunteers to work a few hours per week. The volunteers did not issue tickets. They merely noted the make, model and license plate of violated and entered them into a data base, along with where it was parked.
    Campus security did do occasional parking sweeps. A vehicle parked illegally was ticketed. If it had been previously entered in the data base, it was booted or towed.

I have always wondered who would be stupid enough to seek parking in Manhattan, since the subway system covers everywhere.
    When I went to NYC for vacation, we stayed in Secaucus and took the PATH train into Manhattan. We paid $110 per night for lodging, $12 for parking at the PATH station and perhaps $15 for the train and subway.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBiker View Post
    I never understood why people so desperately want parking spaces near the entrance to place like Walmart, then spend an hour or more walking around the store. Like 30 more steps are going to kill them.
    I purposely park farther away to get the exercise.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I just park near the cart return.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Well , freak that. I do too. For it exposes only one side of my car for the ffing door banging by the fat fools that simply do not know how to park. I been doing that for at least twenty some odd years now.--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    I tend to park far enough away from the entrance that I get a bit of decent exercise. Add that to the steps inside the store and it is my intention to use it like one might use a treadmill.
    Getting needed exercise is the reasoning I sometimes use when the wife is sleepy.
    O' not for me mind you. I tell her she looks to have gained about ten pounds in the last two weeks and we need to do the monkey dance to help remove some of that fat!! It works or at least she pretends that it does.. -
    Pretend or not it makes me one happy camper!! ----Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

That's an assualt SUV. We should ban them.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I always park in the back of parking lots, furthest away from door. Can use the exercise and much less likely for someone to hit my car.
    I do precisely the same thing for precisely the same reasons.

OTOH, I've had wimmins in my life who bitched like mongrels whenever I did that. You're a rarity Kathy, most women don't want to walk, or even stand. You should see how they dive for empty seats in the subway....

Parking near the door is viewed as some sort of rare prize.
    Mama Jeffro: Jeeeeh-froooo! What's going on down there? What's that smell?
    Jeffro: Nothing ma! Me and Lorenzo are practicing our Turkish oil wrestling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The perp resigned from the school board: Serves her right!

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/st...storyid=270817

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    The perp resigned from the school board: Serves her right!

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/st...storyid=270817

Road rage doesn't necessarily stop at the road's edge. All of us have seen one form, or another. Or, we've acted on it in some way.

Our roads are dangerous enough with LOUSY, UNTRAINED drivers. And the odds of becoming a victim of road rage are high.

Just ask YOURSELF...next time somebody behind, ahead, or alongside of you does something Stupid.

HOW HARD was it NOT to shoot them a reminder of THEIR AGE, or IQ???
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Speaking of which, ever seen those morons that can't put their carts away? Like it's so freakin difficult. I've found that sometimes I can't park cause the spots taken by a wayward cart.

I spent a good 10 minutes gathering up all the carts in a walmart parking spot once. One guy just left his, while I was walking past, sat right in his car. I said "What, so everyone else should cater to your cart?" He told me that workers should be more respectful while on the job. I yelled right back at him and said "No, I don't work here, i'm just sick to death of idiots like you. You think i want a scratch in my truck???"
    He just "uh"ed and "um"ed until he left.

One other thing, I've also walked right up and grabbed a cart from an old lady, not a little old one who looks 90, but a fit healthy one that looked like she was in her mid 50's.
    She was already in her car. So i grabbed it, walked right behind her so she couldn't get out, and stared at her till i got to the cart return, which was ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF HER VAN!!!!!
    Last edited by cadet; 01-03-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    Speaking of which, ever seen those morons that can't put their carts away? Like it's so freakin difficult. I've found that sometimes I can't park cause the spots taken by a wayward cart.

I spent a good 10 minutes gathering up all the carts in a walmart parking spot once. One guy just left his, while I was walking past, sat right in his car. I said "What, so everyone else should cater to your cart?" He told me that workers should be more respectful while on the job. I yelled right back at him and said "No, I don't work here, i'm just sick to death of idiots like you. You think i want a scratch in my truck???"
    He just "uh"ed and "um"ed until he left.

One other thing, I've also walked right up and grabbed a cart from an old lady, not a little old one who looks 90, but a fit healthy one that looked like she was in her mid 50's.
    She was already in her car. So i grabbed it, walked right behind her so she couldn't get out, and stared at her till i got to the cart return, which was ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF HER VAN!!!!!
    I agree about the carts. I don't know if you have Aldi's by you. It's owned by the same company as Trader Joe's, but is very downscale. Bring your own bags or buy their paper ones for 3 cents, plastic for 10 cents. They have a chain/lock on each cart, to get one, have to put in a quarter. When finished shopping, return the cart to the corral, get your quarter back. Only once have I picked up a 'free cart' in the parking lot and got that quarter for rolling it into the store. I think all stores with carts would do well to adopt this.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I agree about the carts. I don't know if you have Aldi's by you. It's owned by the same company as Trader Joe's, but is very downscale. Bring your own bags or buy their paper ones for 3 cents, plastic for 10 cents. They have a chain/lock on each cart, to get one, have to put in a quarter. When finished shopping, return the cart to the corral, get your quarter back. Only once have I picked up a 'free cart' in the parking lot and got that quarter for rolling it into the store. I think all stores with carts would do well to adopt this.
    I know that's a big thing in Europe, but with euro's. I don't know how i'd feel about that, I don't usually keep change on me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    I know that's a big thing in Europe, but with euro's. I don't know how i'd feel about that, I don't usually keep change on me.
    One adapts. Carts just lying around parking lot became a sore point for me in 1997. I was working in insurance. The sky had been looking threatening for about 1/2 hour, suddenly turned green and the wind kicked up. Then got quiet for a minute, maybe. Then saw the funnel cloud coming down. Passed on the street our office faced.

We got under our desks, window blew out.

About 300 ft away, a big grocery, Dominicks. A cart from their parking lot smashed down in front of our office. Across the other cross street, another big grocery, Jewel/Osco. Their carts had been carried onto the street in front of our office, one landing on a car. Luckily the driver wasn't hurt, but the car sustained lots of damage. Each of those carts weighs close to 75 lbs. They were missiles in the tornado.

As normal, once the tornado had passed, the sun came out. The phones started to ring. Claims of carts through car roofs, windshields, through business storefronts, etc.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill