Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    Show me one gay couple that's managed to HAVE kids. Not adopt, not sperm donate, HAVE.
    you do realize that there are straight couple out there who for various reasons can't procreate with each other but some how still manage to HAVE kids right?

Being a parent isn't about getting a woman pregnant or becoming pregnant, any fucking tool can accomplish that.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    I say no one should.
    First of all, marriage is not about religion. It is a civil ceremony. There are a lot of people who don't believe in religion. Or, if they do, it is not the religion that follows the teachings of the Christian Bible.
    I know a lot of you advocate that the government should stay out of people's lives. Why is this different.

I know homosexuality offends a lot of you. It doesn't offend me. But what if I decided that I am offended by an American marrying someone from Russia, or from South America? Can I move for a law or constitutional amendment stating that American citizens can not marry those from other countries?

Why is it the business of the government who should get married? The U.S. is supposed to be a free country. The government should not regulate morality.
    We do have laws concerning age limits and behavior with animals. I am talking two willing people, whether they be same sex or different sex.

Please tell me why the government should interfere.
    Read your first comment. You state no one should. But this also has to mean that when the Government has no business in any of it, they can't decide some age is correct, some person may not enter polygamy and other things I have said can happen.

End your logic lesson with your concluding remark.

All done for you on this forum at no charge at all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

OK, let's move the subject to a different plane -- give me a good, legal reason why gays or lesbians should not be allowed to get married.

Procreation is not a valid reason. There are a great many couples (including my husband and I) who are unable to have children. We adopted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    Read your first comment. You state no one should. But this also has to mean that when the Government has no business in any of it, they can't decide some age is correct, some person may not enter polygamy and other things I have said can happen.

End your logic lesson with your concluding remark.

All done for you on this forum at no charge at all.
    Robert, read very carefully

The LAW says that a contract can't be made with children. A marriage from whomever would be considered a CONTRACT as far as the government is concerned. Ipso facto , any contract with a child would be null and void.

Also, "married" or not a person who has sex with a minor has committed statutory rape and can be arrested.

There's LOGIC for you.

And you can paypal me a dollar, I don't work for free.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK, let's move the subject to a different plane -- give me a good, legal reason why gays or lesbians should not be allowed to get married.

Procreation is not a valid reason. There are a great many couples (including my husband and I) who are unable to have children. We adopted.
    Gabby, seems like most who are participating in the thread agree with you, let gets marry who cares.

You're going to have to wait for the fake conservatives to find this thread to have someone to argue that point with.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    He can take it out of the weekly amount he pays his female servant.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's the part that trips self labeled "conservatives" up. They don't believe in freedom. They believe in THEIR freedom.

homosexuality is disgusting. I support the right of free Americans to be disgusting as long as they are not harming other people.
    I happen to believe that government should butt out of marriage if we mean the Federal Government. Since states have powers that the Feds lack, it depends on the constitution of each state.

I have no idea why the state constitutions are virtually never brought up.

She is carping over what some states have decided to do. But as to the Feds, I also say butt the hell out.

As you said, it also means no tax benefits by the Feds. No federal laws of any type about marriage. The Feds do not pass out rights to a certain religion yet some claim marriage is religion too but seem to want the Feds involved in a rite they claim is religion.

I am so puzzled by Gabby. She first says keep govertnment out but reverses herself by saying they need to sanction it. She has to pick one view or some other.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    I happen to believe that government should butt out of marriage if we mean the Federal Government. Since states have powers that the Feds lack, it depends on the constitution of each state.

I have no idea why the state constitutions are virtually never brought up.

She is carping over what some states have decided to do. But as to the Feds, I also say butt the hell out.

As you said, it also means no tax benefits by the Feds. No federal laws of any type about marriage. The Feds do not pass out rights to a certain religion yet some claim marriage is religion too but seem to want the Feds involved in a rite they claim is religion.

I am so puzzled by Gabby. She first says keep govertnment out but reverses herself by saying they need to sanction it. She has to pick one view or some other.
    let me be clear. When I say government out, I mean ALL government out. it's not a governmental matter at all. Not federal, not state, and not local.

OUT OF MARRIAGE and if that means my one exception to my rule about the word marriage never being used in a government document meaning a federal law directing that no jurisdiction may pass laws concerning marriage , so be it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
    Well. Go back to the basics.

Why marry at all? Africans don't marry; indeed, they mostly do prostitution, if you read about those systems, and the women take care of any resulting children, assuming they or the children survive. Primitives in various areas don't marry in our sense --- Australians, New Guineans, etc.

In Roman times marriage was wholly a state issue, and was about heirs and property and money and so on. Augustus famously nagged aristocratic young men of Rome to marry and beget -- they weren't at the time. Rome was extremely tolerant of religion, at least till one religion used that tolerance to take over entirely and force the other religions out, and religion was not a basis for marriage at all.

Marriage wasn't a Christian sacrament till sometime in the Dark Ages. It was quickly challenged by early heresies (no marriage, no begetting or sex in some cases, or orgies, depending on the heresy).

Because of strong Christian roots this American government could until the 1960s rely on marriage for distributing social security and all sorts of legal issues of inheritance and so on. Now, obviously, that is dying out. In our lifetime! Big thing to happen, really.

The government could stop ALL entitlements based on marriage: it's the only sensible response to the DOMA problem, in which some states call homosexual unions "marriage" but the government doesn't give one of the pair spousal benefits.

Marriage stabilizes any state: without it, men gather in male packs in coffee houses or the street corners and get into trouble and do no work, like in Afghanistan and Africa and so on. With marriage, men are productive and repopulate the state. It's a way to harness male energies. Without marriage, women raise all the children by themselves, as in Africa, and everyone is poorer. There's no inheriting, there's nothing to inherit.

So the state wants marriage for general prosperity, but I think that ship has probably sailed.
    You know, when I studied law in college, we were taught who created our laws and why. I knew long ago that this country has a blend of laws about women, children and marriage and said privilidges.

In tax courses i also took in college along with the tons of tax lectures for credit I took to try to understand tax matters, we also learned more about the law as to why some benefits were put into law.

Your post should be read by every poster and studied in depth.

Marriage has nothing to do with religion as to federal law. I can't say that about each state since I have never studied each and every state constitution trying to ferret this out.

I tend to doubt I will ever read each state constituiton. Most of them have no impact on me.

Thus marriage has no impact on me other than perhaps the reasons you cited are good reasons.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Robert, read very carefully

The LAW says that a contract can't be made with children. A marriage from whomever would be considered a CONTRACT as far as the government is concerned. Ipso facto , any contract with a child would be null and void.

Also, "married" or not a person who has sex with a minor has committed statutory rape and can be arrested.

There's LOGIC for you.

Best to put numbered points to talk to me. That way I can deal with items you and I don't agree on better.

The law says for instance.
    We completely agree. The fact it is considered a contract is the basis of a lot of government interference yet you stated in another post that you want all government out of marriage. While you are correct in your explanation, does it conflict with your concept that one keeps government out of all marriages?

We also agree on statutory rape. I was trying to explain to Gabby her idea of keeping government out of marriage contracts has flaws.

My fees for logic are higher than yours and since we agree on both your points, maybe you owe me something, I owe you nothing for validating my own points.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Better yet, give me one valid legal reason for heterosexuals to get married. I think doug Stanhope said it best, "this shit's so good baby, we gotta get government involved!" From a legal perspective, marriage is a boilerplate contract. Have and to hold, better or worse, time-honored vows before God etc, not legally binding.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

his post was dead on point to yours

It was not on point to me. And why don't you explain to the board just how it was dead on point to my post?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
    Well. Go back to the basics.

Why marry at all? Africans don't marry; indeed, they mostly do prostitution, if you read about those systems, and the women take care of any resulting children, assuming they or the children survive. Primitives in various areas don't marry in our sense --- Australians, New Guineans, etc.
    Australians would be surprised to learn that they are primitive people

In Roman times marriage was wholly a state issue, and was about heirs and property and money and so on. Augustus famously nagged aristocratic young men of Rome to marry and beget -- they weren't at the time. Rome was extremely tolerant of religion, at least till one religion used that tolerance to take over entirely and force the other religions out, and religion was not a basis for marriage at all.
    Rome was tolerant of other religeons until they became a Christian Empire? Is that really where you want to go with that?

Marriage wasn't a Christian sacrament till sometime in the Dark Ages. It was quickly challenged by early heresies (no marriage, no begetting or sex in some cases, or orgies, depending on the heresy).
    No one said it was a Christian concept, just a religious one. a common one among nearly every religion.

Because of strong Christian roots this American government could until the 1960s rely on marriage for distributing social security and all sorts of legal issues of inheritance and so on. Now, obviously, that is dying out. In our lifetime! Big thing to happen, really.
    Not only can you not prove that marriage provides any sort of social security, you can't even provide a constitutional basis for declaring that the government has dominion over social security.

As for inheritance issues and such, that is what contracts are for.

The government could stop ALL entitlements based on marriage: it's the only sensible response to the DOMA problem, in which some states call homosexual unions "marriage" but the government doesn't give one of the pair spousal benefits.
    Again, eliminate marriage from the equation, sign a contract. You got married in a church? Big whoopie, that means nothing to the State. sign a contract or you get no benefits.

Marriage stabilizes any state: without it, men gather in male packs in coffee houses or the street corners and get into trouble and do no work, like in Afghanistan and Africa and so on.
    I think a fairly convincing argument could be made that as a rule Middle Easterners are much more family centric than Americans.

With marriage, men are productive and repopulate the state
    so single men can't have kids?

. It's a way to harness male energies. Without marriage, women raise all the children by themselves, as in Africa, and everyone is poorer.
    Once again, the people in Africa actually tend to group together as villages to raise children, they don't do the "single mother" thing.

Also, since roughly half of the marriages in this country end in divorce your point is moot.

There's no inheriting, there's nothing to inherit.
    Sure there is, it's called a contract.

So the state wants marriage for general prosperity, but I think that ship has probably sailed.
    Fine, but you still haven't actually proven that a state sanctioned marriage has ANYTHING to do with prosperity.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He can take it out of the weekly amount he pays his female servant.
    The HE you speak of has no female servant.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's a better question, why do gays WANT marriage so badly?
    they're tied down to one partner by a piece of paper, no religion involved, just a contract that say's they can only be with that one person.
    Kinda sucks if you think about it.

Or are all gays just needy and thriving for attention, and this is the best way to do it?