Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    I do as well. And ill take what He gives me. But when He offers more I am certainly not going to turn it down.
    from everything I've ever read, what we get has nothing to do with what we have "earned"......thank goodness.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    from everything I've ever read, what we get has nothing to do with what we have "earned"......thank goodness.....
    From what I've read, no one has claimed otherwise.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

From what I've read, no one has claimed otherwise.
    ????....

Why not strive for greater blessings?
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

????....
    You think we earn blessings because God asks us to do something to recieve them?
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You think we earn blessings because God asks us to do something to recieve them?
    I think he's saying not to expect blessings from God. If you're only doing something for the reward... That's pretty selfish. But if He gives you something, don't squander it.
    "If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

no, I think you've said that we can get extra blessings by doing something......
    ...full immersion.....

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by avatar4321
    Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    I think he's saying not to expect blessings from God. If you're only doing something for the reward... That's pretty selfish. But if He gives you something, don't squander it.
    I was going to reply to this but the darned phone rang and guess who called me to ask me to do something for blessings?

Just teasin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no, I think you've said that we can get extra blessings by doing something......
    And we can. We recieve blessings from God by doing what He asks. What you seem to think though is that we somehow earn those blessings. We don't. They are still gifts.

If a father promises to give his daugther a car if she graduates with honor, has it become anything less of a gift? She hasn't earned it. It's a gift that is predicated on her actions.

If God tells you that you will be healthy if you eat these certain foods, and you do so, is your health any less a gift from Him?

It's only through the Atonement that repentence is possible. It's only through the Atonement forgiveness is possible. It is only through the Atonement that we can recieve any gift from God.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What you seem to think though is that we somehow earn those blessings.
    just the opposite....I'm the one saying we don't earn any of them.....you're the one who has said, and just did it again, that we receive blessings for doing what he asks.....how on earth is that NOT "earning" them.....if the daughter, having been promised a car if she graduated with honor, and she put in the effort to get those grades but dad didn't give her the car, isn't her reaction going to be "that isn't fair....I EARNED that car!".......and she would be right....there is no person on earth who can say they receive a spot in heaven, or a nicer spot in heaven by doing what God asks.....

what do you say to a person who eats those same foods and gets cancer?.....oh, sorry, guess you don't get the blessing......good health isn't a gift and bad health isn't a curse......it's just life.....
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 03-20-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

God is a guy standing on a street corner handing out flyers......some people won't make eye contact so they won't have to take one.......some take it and drop it on the ground right in front of him.....some take it but throw it away without looking at it......some read it and change their lives forever......that's how atonement works......
    ...full immersion.....