Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default why church?.....

haven't played with this question for a while, but it was what sparked the thesis for my Theology Masters years ago....
    so lets say you believe in a deity......I will speak of Christianity for ease of discussion, though you could follow the same issue whether it was mosque or temple instead of church....

what happens in a church.....
    people sing.....anyone with a shower could sing.....
    they pray......anyone with knees can pray....or do it sitting or standing for that matter....
    they read scripture.....which we can do on the internet.....
    they get an education about God, either from a sermon or study......can get that from the internet too.....

community.....but even this mismatched assortment of folks who visit DP is a community.....

but how does one person, in isolation, serve others.......at the barest minimum you need someone who needs to be served......and though I can talk to you folks any time I want, I can't go out and put a roof on someone's house with you.....I can't go work at a soup kitchen with you.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    haven't played with this question for a while, but it was what sparked the thesis for my Theology Masters years ago....
    so lets say you believe in a deity......I will speak of Christianity for ease of discussion, though you could follow the same issue whether it was mosque or temple instead of church....

they pray......anyone with knees can pray....or do it sitting or standing for that matter....
    they get an education about God, either from a sermon or study......can get that from the internet too.....

community.....but even this mismatched assortment of folks who visit DP is a community.....

but how does one person, in isolation, serve others.......at the barest minimum you need someone who needs to be served......and though I can talk to you folks any time I want, I can't go out and put a roof on someone's house with you.....I can't go work at a soup kitchen with you.....
    Gather in fellowship to give aid, comfort and spiritual strength to fellow Christians. To hear a Spiritual leader discuss what is required of Christians and present a gathering place for ALL to hear the word of God and know of God's gift of Salvation to mankind by allowing the sacrifice of his own Son, Jesus as payment/atonement for ALL our sins past, present and future.
    And to keep the Sabbath day...-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

You don't need to attend formal religious services in a specific place to receive the message of God.
    Anywhere you choose to commune with God is good enough for Him. Since God is omnipotent, He is with us at all times, wherever we are.
    Can't speak for others, but I attend church for the fellowship with others who also believe. Reading and sharing His word is very uplifting to me. Our ministers deliver very inspiring messages, and our choir and band get everyone moving with the Holy Spirit.
    It works for me.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    You don't need to attend formal religious services in a specific place to receive the message of God.
    Anywhere you choose to commune with God is good enough for Him. Since God is omnipotent, He is with us at all times, wherever we are.
    Can't speak for others, but I attend church for the fellowship with others who also believe. Reading and sharing His word is very uplifting to me. Our ministers deliver very inspiring messages, and our choir and band get everyone moving with the Holy Spirit.
    It works for me.
    I would like to see a video of the people up doing a flash dance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Hebrews 10:25
    25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Matthew 18:20
    For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

being exhorted wasn't on my bucket list.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you assume that a body must be present to serve.

you can cook food at home that could be served at a soup kitchen. A check would also go a long way in serving people at a soup kitchen.

not everyone is suited to roofing.... so participating is not serving anyone but themselves.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. (James 1:27)
    I think your position for service is good.

I also think Church is supposed to serve as a visible body of Christ where God can direct His work. A community that can, when functioning properly, stand as an example to all the world. To be a city on the hill.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Syrenn View Post
    you assume that a body must be present to serve.

you can cook food at home that could be served at a soup kitchen. A check would also go a long way in serving people at a soup kitchen.

not everyone is suited to roofing.... so participating is not serving anyone but themselves.
    It's to become aware of service opportunities and actually do them in a functioning Church than it is on our own.

When we are united Christ's power is with us stronger.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    It's to become aware of service opportunities and actually do them in a functioning Church than it is on our own.

When we are united Christ's power is with us stronger.
    most people feel more powerful when in a group.

which is why churches like to have large groups and consolidation of power.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Church was never meant to be a place where you go on Sunday to worship and that's your Jesus for the week. It was made for brothers and sisters in Christ to get new projects ready to do things to help others or lead others to Christ.
    Locking yourself in walls does nothing, we're supposed to be going out and spreading the word. Churches are in a desperate need of reform these days. People need to start putting it into their daily life, and realizing what they learned on Sunday's, are applicable to daily life.
    You can do so much more by yourself these days without a church holding you back.

But, it's nice to at least have a bible study group or some small group of the same religion to hang out with and discuss life. Hold each other accountable, praise with each other, and help lift each other up to help do stuff.
    "If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    Church was never meant to be a place where you go on Sunday to worship and that's your Jesus for the week.
    I can agree....while at Seminary I had to write a proposal for planting a new church.....I drafted a plan for a church that was open six days a week and closed on Sunday......
    ...full immersion.....