Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Threads like this remind me about how right my father's advice was, so many years ago when he reminded me, my brothers, and sister about Never arguing about Politics, or Religion.

Look at how many unanswered, unanswerable questions surface with those two topics.

Wish I had listened to my Dad. But then. If all of us listened to that kind of advice.

The Internet would be useless.
    Worse still we'd all be morons, always argue, always debate, never be satisfied. Don't accept and don't avoid.

A question may not have an answer, that does not mean that a discussion with not yield other answers, or sharpen your wits.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Worse still we'd all be morons, always argue, always debate, never be satisfied. Don't accept and don't avoid.

A question may not have an answer, that does not mean that a discussion with not yield other answers, or sharpen your wits.

Seems like everyone has accomplished that Noir. Try it yourself, as my father told me. Then tell all of us WHEN you became the Perfect, Unquestionable person with all of the right answers to every discussion about politics, and religion.
    Truth is. There are NO right, or wrong answers...just ask yourself.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Then tell all of us WHEN you became the Perfect, Unquestionable person with all of the right answers to every discussion about politics, and religion.
    That is the exact opposite of what my post is about. How you got this from what i posted... i have no idea.

The only people that don't debate, discuss, and argue politics or philosophy, are the ones who've decided they are right/unquestionable etc, and so it's not worth wasting their time on an actual discussion. (That is not to say that those people exclusively avoid/ignore debates.)
    Last edited by Noir; 03-26-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post

some folks have an easier time doing that than others.
    religion and politics seem to run close to the nerves of identity and world view and i guess it's difficult to really wrestle with them at times. Seems most people would rather have peace than to correct or be corrected or even explore to deeply questions that might alter an ID or world view. or explore answers we may or may not like. It's uncomfortable and sometimes depressing or scary.

often, To me at least, thinking about both subjects and listening to the various outlooks is not only vital but fun, espesially when looked at in the abstract. the greatest puzzles of all. the wildest opinions, whats real, can we know?

But often it is personal, but not all comments about the subjects need to be taken as attacks, it seems to me.

As i said before I don't mind various opinions but if we both are looking at a double decker bus don't try to tell me it is a cat because they both move. That's when i get offended.
    the conversation is already broken when objective items can't even be agreed on.
    Last edited by revelarts; 03-26-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16