Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Yeah, "twin variable valve timing" means that the cam timing is variable. The Pentastar idles at 500 rpm in gear, near silently.

ChyCo uses a variant of my Jeep chassis in the 300/ Charger, as well as the Challenger. The Pentastar is available in each, tuned a bit differently to take advantage of the lighter vehicles.

Ford no longer makes a RWD car. Their large car is now based on a variant of a Volvo FWD chassis. My dad has owned a succession of Lincoln Town Car for years, and I've convinced him to look at the Chrysler 300 for his next. It would be the car that I'd have if I didn't need the cargo capacity of the Jeep.
    In late 61 to early 62, I was working on a variable cam timing system and had to go into the army ala the draft.

I plan to see how they do it today to see how close my system was to theirs.

The cam can't vary itself, but it can be slightly moved to a new position to in effect vary the timing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    In late 61 to early 62, I was working on a variable cam timing system and had to go into the army ala the draft.

I plan to see how they do it today to see how close my system was to theirs.

The cam can't vary itself, but it can be slightly moved to a new position to in effect vary the timing.
    The cam gear is connected to the shaft through a mechanism that changes the angle, and that angle is chosen by the computer. Ford uses hydraulic oil pressure. I'm not exactly sure how ChyCo does it.

BMW varies the valve lift as well. It's a lever system that acts on the lifters. Again, the position is chosen by the computer. This takes the place of the throttle butterfly valve. Personally I think it's overly complex, and on my wife's little sedan, I don't like the throttle response at all.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The cam gear is connected to the shaft through a mechanism that changes the angle, and that angle is chosen by the computer. Ford uses hydraulic oil pressure. I'm not exactly sure how ChyCo does it.

BMW varies the valve lift as well. It's a lever system that acts on the lifters. Again, the position is chosen by the computer. This takes the place of the throttle butterfly valve. Personally I think it's overly complex, and on my wife's little sedan, I don't like the throttle response at all.
    Today I read up on all systems as explained on the internet. i am sure at the factories research departments, there is more even more current, not explained for legal reasons, probably.

I am now well versed on the various systems.

My system conceived I believe in 1961 was different. It is very primitive compared to the current systems. It was a bit of fun looking this up. I recall well the desmodromic system and how MBZ was using it. I was so busy building race engines that my time to work on the cam system was limited. Getting out of the Army and getting married soon after took me away from the race business.
    Yes, I realize they also vary valve lift. Glad to hear more about throttle response. If it has a exhaust turbo system, perhaps that is why.

I used to own a Studebaker Golden Hawk with a super charger and I seem to recall that it too had a bit of sluggish response. Actually it had another problem that I tried to repair in Germany involving the carburetor system. A float was leaking and I did my best using what was available at the motor pool to fix it. I soldered it back together. Still had problems. I was about to leave Germany and sadly had to abandon the Hawk and I was later told it was crushed by the Germans who were told to pick it up.

I gave the keys to a guy I thought was trustworthy but he let the ball drop since he did not own it. He promised to sell it and take a commission then send me the balance. Never heard a word from him again. I knew the unit phone number so called them from the USA and learned it was destroyed. That had the huge Packard engine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Today I read up on all systems as explained on the internet. i am sure at the factories research departments, there is more even more current, not explained for legal reasons, probably.

I am now well versed on the various systems.
    You are now, as full of shit as you always were.

A few minutes of Internet research does not make even a narcissistic nutjob like you, 'well versed' in anything.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/well-versed

well-versed

[wel-vurst]

adjective highly experienced, practiced, or skilled; very knowledgeable; learned:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    You are now, as full of shit as you always were.

A few minutes of Internet research does not make even a narcissistic nutjob like you, 'well versed' in anything.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/well-versed

Marcus. Wait till Robert discovers how he can get a MASTER'S degree in almost anything he wants on the Internet...IF the price is right..almost Overnight!
    Last edited by aboutime; 04-24-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Marcus. Wait till Robert discovers how he can get a MASTER'S degree in almost anything he wants on the Internet...IF the price is right..almost Overnight!
    you can get anything over the Internet. I myself am an ordained minister in the Universal Church of Light. Doesn't mean I am well versed in all aspects of religion or ministry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

you can get anything over the Internet. I myself am an ordained minister in the Universal Church of Light. Doesn't mean I am well versed in all aspects of religion or ministry.

Marcus. Exactly. Though I refuse to brag about myself like many feel they must here.

I am very proud of my Primary, and First, Honest Degree.....which is Humanity...'98.6'.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

now, to get back on track with the thread topic...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes, I realize they also vary valve lift. Glad to hear more about throttle response. If it has a exhaust turbo system, perhaps that is why.
    No turbo on wife's BMW. Normally aspirated 3.0L inline 6 cylinder. More than enough displacement for what should be crisp throttle response in such a small car (3 series). It seems to have a sight hesitation, then spins up to 6000 rpm, sort of like a delayed on-off switch. She say's she's used to it. I think it's crap.

When we were buying that car for her I test drove an Audi which is nearly identical in size and weight. It had a 2.0L 4 cyl turbo. There was no lag whatsoever and nice crisp throttle response. It was a better car than the MW, but she didn't like the color of the dash lights.

Turbos have come a long way since the 60's. There is no lag with a well engineered set-up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

now, to get back on track with the thread topic...

Leave it to you to notice the shadows on the first picture. That would be, however, an architectural fail.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Glock, apparently the conversation you and i are having has made two posters upset. So much so, we are now the topic.

You and I understand what we are discussing yet for a rather odd reason, only one of us is being whined about. i now discover that some poster believes he is in charge of the topic and demands we do as he tells us.

As to my well versed remark, I have a long history of being versed in auto design. Since I had been designing a system to vary cams, I came to this topic with a background so it is nothing special that I am versed on cams.

But since it upsets two posters, should you want to discuss this further, maybe by PM.

thanks for your assistance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Glock, apparently the conversation you and i are having has made two posters upset. So much so, we are now the topic.

You and I understand what we are discussing yet for a rather odd reason, only one of us is being whined about. i now discover that some poster believes he is in charge of the topic and demands we do as he tells us.

As to my well versed remark, I have a long history of being versed in auto design. Since I had been designing a system to vary cams, I came to this topic with a background so it is nothing special that I am versed on cams.

But since it upsets two posters, should you want to discuss this further, maybe by PM.

upset, hardly. Just pointing out another of your narcissistic lies. So far, you're an self proclaimed expert on HOA's, law, CA in general, and now cam design.

Tell us, numbnuts...is there ANY subject you've ever discussed on this board, in which you are NOT a self described 'expert'?

Please.. show me the post where I claimed to be in charge, or demanded anything. A copy/paste would suffice, or a link to said demanding post.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I came to this thread to see what was up based on a reported post. But I see you are handling yourself and engaging the issue yourself. It's stupid to complain about others, and then discuss them in your next post. It would be wiser if you report a post, to ignore said individuals until staff can help fix the thread.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No turbo on wife's BMW. Normally aspirated 3.0L inline 6 cylinder. More than enough displacement for what should be crisp throttle response in such a small car (3 series). It seems to have a sight hesitation, then spins up to 6000 rpm, sort of like a delayed on-off switch. She say's she's used to it. I think it's crap.

When we were buying that car for her I test drove an Audi which is nearly identical in size and weight. It had a 2.0L 4 cyl turbo. There was no lag whatsoever and nice crisp throttle response. It was a better car than the MW, but she didn't like the color of the dash lights.

Turbos have come a long way since the 60's. There is no lag with a well engineered set-up.
    Have you had her car checked by a BMW technician? The Hawk did not have a turbo. It had a belt driven supercharger. Maybe a call to a BMW service guy could see if she should live with it or have it looked at.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I came to this thread to see what was up based on a reported post. But I see you are handling yourself and engaging the issue yourself. It's stupid to complain about others, and then discuss them in your next post. It would be wiser if you report a post, to ignore said individuals until staff can help fix the thread.
    (slapping my head)

Now, given it was reported, one might think their posts would have been addressed FIRST.

No names were used though in talking to Glockmail, I am sure he too noticed.

I seem to be the only one chided here. So, since I did notice AFTER, they got dealt with on a different thread, I plan to see if they get chided first. As you request.