Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    If people like you want to hate gays, that's your right. However, at least have the balls to admit it and stop hiding behind semantics.
    It's the flip side of the same coin. There are pejorative terms for homosexuals and "homophobe" is a pejorative term against people who have religious objections to homosexual behavior.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    It's the flip side of the same coin. There are pejorative terms for homosexuals and "homophobe" is a pejorative term against people who have religious objections to homosexual behavior.

Marcus will never understand that.

By the way, 'homo' isn't a pejorative term, it's simply short for 'homosexual'.
    Homophobe (n) - a perjorative term invented by homosexual advocates in an attempt to pretend that people with a natural dislike of homosexual relations, are somehow "afraid" of something.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

If we were sitting together in a corporate HR department, I would tell you neither is acceptable. One risks running afoul of sexual orientation protections, the other runs afoul of religious protections. The term "homophobe" could be considered contributory to a hostile environment for certain religious beliefs.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

'homo' is commonly used as a derogatory term for homosexuals, as you well know. You're back to semantics instead of honesty I see.

Oh, btw... assuming people who don't hate gays like you are gay themselves... is yet another sign of homophobia.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

'homo' is commonly used as a derogatory term for homosexuals, as you well know.
    Homo is short for homosexual. Stop whining.

You're back to semantics instead of honesty I see.
    More whining.

Oh, btw... assuming people who don't hate gays like you are gay themselves... is yet another sign of homophobia.

I don't hate gays, I don't agree with their faggy lifestyle, but I don't hate them. Why must you always create falsehoods? I guess the truth doesn't suit your whiney agenda.
    Homophobe (n) - a perjorative term invented by homosexual advocates in an attempt to pretend that people with a natural dislike of homosexual relations, are somehow "afraid" of something.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

'homo' is commonly used as a derogatory term for homosexuals, as you well know. You're back to semantics instead of honesty I see.

"Homo" is made derogatory by its usage. But it is a shortened version of a word that truthfully and accurately describes gays. They are homosexuals. Whereas homophobia as a term makes no sense. It would be more accurate to describe such people "homodisgusted", or some such thing.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    "Homo" is made derogatory by its usage. But as it is a shortened version of a word that truthfully and accurately describes gays. They are homosexuals. Whereas homophobia as a term makes no sense. It would be more accurate to describe such people "homodisgusted", or some such thing.
    Correct. The vast majority of those who use the term, use it in a negative/derogatory manner.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

That word is nothing BUT....another Politically Correct, or Incorrect definition created as an alternative for those who must always have, and make excuses for anything, and everything Only They are permitted to determine as Acceptable.

The alternative is...BULL SH*T! Plain, and Simple.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Correct. The vast majority of those who use the term, use it in a negative/derogatory manner.

And why have you ignored the rest of the post, which is the gist of it?

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Some are saying that the word means 'contempt' or 'hatred' of homosexuals. But the root of the word is 'phobia'. Are there other phobia words which don't really mean to fear something, but rather to have contempt for it or hatred? I do believe that some people have a strong dislike or contempt for homosexual behavior, but they should just say it like that, instead of inventing a word that simply doesn't fit, and only serves to try and make that person out to be something they are not.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Some are saying that the word means 'contempt' or 'hatred' of homosexuals. But the root of the word is 'phobia'. Are there other phobia words which don't really mean to fear something, but rather to have contempt for it or hatred? I do believe that some people have a strong dislike or contempt for homosexual behavior, but they should just say it like that, instead of inventing a word that simply doesn't fit, and only serves to try and make that person out to be something they are not.
    For example, I have a very strong dislike for the NY Giants, does that mean I have giantaphobia? I have a VERY strong dislike for those that abuse women, and find them VERY contemptuous, does that mean I have abuserphobia? In other words, I'll own up to my statements and feelings, but at least label me correctly instead of trying to vilify by changing.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    For example, I have a very strong dislike for the NY Giants, does that mean I have giantaphobia? I have a VERY strong dislike for those that abuse women, and find them VERY contemptuous, does that mean I have abuserphobia? In other words, I'll own up to my statements and feelings, but at least label me correctly instead of trying to vilify by changing.
    That would actually be Giantsphobia.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    That would actually be Giantsphobia.

In the case of the GIANTS...that would be LOSER-PHOBIA!
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). It can be expressed as antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, or hatred, and may be based on irrational fear.
    Regardless of the basis for most other 'phobias', the common usage that has evolved for the word 'homophobic' or homophobia', does NOT require fear to be involved.

Recognized types of homophobia include institutionalized homophobia, e.g. religious homophobia and state-sponsored homophobia,[7] and internalized homophobia, experienced by people who have same-sex attractions, regardless of how they identify.
    How about it, BB? Me think you doth protest too much. J. Edgar Hoover was gay, yet he led witch hunts against gays among others.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

Regardless of the basis for most other 'phobias', the common usage that has evolved for the word 'homophobic' or homophobia', does NOT require fear to be involved.
    Here's the thing, you can post definitions from 99 different sources, but they still wouldn't be correct. A phobia is a specific term, and no other phobia am I aware of that doesn't contain 'fear', and no others I can think of mean hate or contempt instead. I believe you with the definitions, and that's how it's explained - but it's still an incorrect term meant to vilify those against homosexuality instead of merely explaining their feelings. How about just "This man detests homosexuality, or this man disagrees with homosexuality". The few extra words/characters won't kill people. But they prefer the incorrect word as it vilifies or makes them look like they have some sort of condition, and also allows people to lump everyone who disagrees with homosexuality, regardless of their reasons, into one incorrect group.