Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    And yet YOU ignore and leave the question unanswered again.

Why would the Vatican need to encourage the laity to take up the Liturgy if they already had a tradition of doing it?
    My son has been in the Boy Scouts of America program for almost 7 years now... first in Cub Scouts, now Boy Scouts. I encourage him to keep it up, and put in the effort to achieve his goals.

Why would a father need to encourage his son to keep up his efforts in scouting if he already had a tradition of doing it?

Because that's what parents do.
    Last edited by Marcus Aurelius; 06-06-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

And of course it appears I am not alone in stating the prayers are traditional
    The Liturgy of the Hours, along with the Eucharist, has formed part of the Church's public worship from the earliest times. Christians of both Eastern and Western traditions (including the Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican, and Lutheran churches) celebrate the Liturgy of the Hours under various names.

Traditional Roman Breviary

By the end of the 5th century, the Liturgy of the Hours was composed of seven offices. Of these seven, Compline seems to have been the last to appear, because the 4th century Apostolic Constitutions VIII iv 34 do not mention it in the exhortation "Offer up your prayers in the morning, at the third hour, the sixth, the ninth, the evening, and at cock-crowing".[6] An eighth office, Prime, was added by Benedict of Nursia in the 6th century. These eight are known by the following names:

Matins (during the night, at midnight with some); also called Vigils or Nocturns or, in monastic usage, the Night Office
    Lauds or Dawn Prayer (at Dawn, or 3 a.m.)
    Prime or Early Morning Prayer (First Hour = approximately 6 a.m.)
    Terce or Mid-Morning Prayer (Third Hour = approximately 9 a.m.)
    Sext or Midday Prayer (Sixth Hour = approximately 12 noon)
    None or Mid-Afternoon Prayer (Ninth Hour = approximately 3 p.m.)
    Vespers or Evening Prayer ("at the lighting of the lamps", generally at 6 p.m.)
    Compline or Night Prayer (before retiring, generally at 9 p.m.)

This arrangement of the Liturgy of the Hours is attributed to Saint Benedict. However, it is found in Saint John Cassian's Institutes and Conferences,[7] which describe the monastic practices of the Desert Fathers of Egypt.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgy...Roman_Breviary
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

The 3 prayers exist - proven
    It is part of Catholic law - proven
    It is part of TRADITION - proven

One can also state it as "game, set and match".
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Implying that I am a liar, that something in MY religion is not law/tradition, and not having the 'nads to admit you were wrong when faced with FACT that it is canonical law - tells me that you want to bash my opinion about equality and Catholics perhaps wanting to pray at specific times too. You are STILL trying to fight that it's law for the laity and still implying others don't want to or don't follow this law/tradition.
    Implying that you're wrong isn't implying that you're lying. However, repeating a false accusation against me is reason to slide right on past implying and state unequivocally you're a liar.
    I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Missileman:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    My son has been in the Boy Scouts of America program for almost 7 years now... first in Cub Scouts, now Boy Scouts. I encourage him to keep it up, and put in the effort to achieve his goals.

Why would a father need to encourage his son to keep up his efforts in scouting if he already had a tradition of doing it?

Because that's what parents do.
    So you're answer to my question is: Suggesting to your kid that he should join the cub scouts when he gets home from his cub scout meeting. ROFL
    I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A tradtion of the laity - NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    Missileman:
    Doesn't even bother me at this point if he listens or not. I've proven everything last thing I have stated. All that apparently is remaining is whether or not an atheist agrees to whether or not it is part of Catholic tradition. I know it as fact, I don't need an atheist to believe it for it to remain fact.

All that I would like to find out at this point, from that school, is whether or not they will be giving the same ability to pray to the Catholics who choose to follow traditional Breviary. If it's allowed for all religions, I think it's an awesome step. If it's not allowed for all - then it shouldn't be allowed for any.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The topic of this thread was football last time I checked, what happened?
    Homophobe (n) - a perjorative term invented by homosexual advocates in an attempt to pretend that people with a natural dislike of homosexual relations, are somehow "afraid" of something.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I've stated this about 300x since 2003 - it's also traditional that when people get angry from being proven wrong, they start to rush their posts and make spelling mistakes. It's the first sign that I've kicked someone's ass with facts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    The topic of this thread was football last time I checked, what happened?
    You scared people into religion by posting that Cleveland Brownie crap!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You scared people into religion by posting that Cleveland Brownie crap!

It takes a lot of faith to be a Browns fan lately. I went to the Browns/Bengals game last year in Cleveland, it was the first Browns win since the middle of the previous season. You'da thought they won the Superbowl.

OK, as you were.
    Homophobe (n) - a perjorative term invented by homosexual advocates in an attempt to pretend that people with a natural dislike of homosexual relations, are somehow "afraid" of something.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Liturgy of the Hours, along with the Eucharist, has formed part of the Church's public worship from the earliest times.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tradition
    tra·di·tion

[truh-dish-uhn] Show IPA

noun 1. the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, information, etc., from generation to generation, especially by word of mouth or by practice: a story that has come down to us by popular tradition.

2. something that is handed down: the traditions of the Eskimos.

3. a long-established or inherited way of thinking or acting: The rebellious students wanted to break with tradition.

4. a continuing pattern of culture beliefs or practices.

5. a customary or characteristic method or manner: The winner took a victory lap in the usual track tradition.

The words 'from the earliest times, certainly fulfill the definition of the word 'tradition'.

So, BY DEFINITION...
    The Liturgy of the Hours, along with the Eucharist, has formed part of the Church's public worship from the earliest times.
    is a tradition of the Church's public worship (public... laity).

You're wrong, MM. Live with it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've stated this about 300x since 2003 - it's also traditional that when people get angry from being proven wrong, they start to rush their posts and make spelling mistakes. It's the first sign that I've kicked someone's ass with facts.
    It's more traditional that when someone's faced with an irrefutable argument, they start pointing out spelling mistakes so they don't have to deal with it. Also traditionally, they quickly follow that up with expressions of victory.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's more traditional that when someone's faced with an irrefutable argument, they start pointing out spelling mistakes so they don't have to deal with it. Also traditionally, they quickly follow that up with expressions of victory.
    the only thing irrefutable about your argument is that it's full of shit, just like you.

Face it, MM... you've been PWNED since about a third of the way into this thread