Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    Christ spent time with hookers and roman tax collectors. He didn't turn anyone away, so why should the church? Sinners outside the faith need God more, not less. Christ gave his life on the cross for everyone, not simply those who believed in him.
    Well said, and seems more in line with the idea of Christianity than what most christians put forth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    I can dig it! The Pope is threatening to drag the Catholic church into the 21st Century.

http://www.latimes.com/world/worldno...,2183109.story
    While i agree that the church has historically been wrong in the way they handled suck sin, by displaying suck disdain with an unwillingness to address suck issues as Homosexuality they pushed people away, instead the church should admit that those are for what ever reason a real desire for some, and the church should be prepared to welcome those, now im not suggesting that the church should accept there open behavior, but accept them and support them as none practicing Gays, deserving of the same love and respect as the rest of the sinners in the church. I don't think that people are born that way, but i do believe there is a host of situations that can cause a weakness for it, i know God could deliver a person from it, but it may be their cross to bare, as it has been a temptation for man sense Biblical times, evident by the Bibles need to warn against it. As for swing the doors open wide, it depends on what that means?
    Isaiah 5:20

King James Version (KJV)

20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

I have been ridiculed for saying that i believe the Great Church in Revelations that will have it wrong will be the Catholic church because they will change to suit the present society, i could be wrong some think it will be some new movement like Scientology ect. "Just my opinion not meant to offend"
    Christian Democrat has become an oxymoron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Larrymc View Post

I have been ridiculed for saying that i believe the Great Church in Revelations that will have it wrong will be the Catholic church because they will change to suit the present society, i could be wrong some think it will be some new movement like Scientology ect. "Just my opinion not meant to offend"
    What if it's not a great church, but a mosque?
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    One might logically conclude that mercy is needed precisely because one is dealing with sinners. Not that such behavior is 'a-ok" with the Church or with God.
    God's mercy is ever present and eternal, known as our Savior Jesus Christ. Not sure why the Pope felt the need to strike the rock when the bible tells all that needs to be told. Love the sinner but not the sin is a standard in Christianity but inclusiveness should never include turning a blind eye to the way of life of some of the groups he sent the message to IMHO. And if that's the true intent of the message he sent then the Catholic Church will be in for a world of hurt and punishment. None escape the justice affirmed in the principles given in the bible.-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    I would not be surprised as i said, i could be wrong.
    Christian Democrat has become an oxymoron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Everything currently points to it being a mosque. Islam was founded as a counter to Judaism and Christianity and its founder used Mohammad to deliver his message. Lucifer is not called the "Great Deceiver" FOR NOTHING..-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

One might logically conclude that mercy is needed precisely because one is dealing with sinners. Not that such behavior is 'a-ok" with the Church or with God.
    Now, now, your attempts to infuse logic into this discussion are useless. Why try to make sense of a subject when you can more easily just bash Muslims.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I know it's shocking, but the 'headlines' may be a tad misleading. If anyone is actually interested, here's the entire interview, 11k words:

http://www.americamagazine.org/pope-interview

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I wasn't disagreeing, Rev.

As for the church being "less judgmental", as Jim quoted above, it really depends what form that takes. If it means being welcoming but honest and clear about what the Bible teaches, in the hope that such people will turn away from sin, that's a good thing. If it means being wishy-washy about it, just so people will like the church more and feel more comfortable sinning, that's worse than doing nothing at all. Well, except for the church's coffers. They would improve.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I wasn't disagreeing, Rev.

As for the church being "less judgmental", as Jim quoted above, it really depends what form that takes. If it means being welcoming but honest and clear about that the Bible teaches in the hope that such people will turn away from sin, that's a good thing. If it means being wishy-washy about it, just so people will like the church more and feel more comfortable sinning, that's worse than doing nothing at all. Well, except for the church's coffers. They would improve.
    "The church" might confuse people. How about the RIGHT church? (Which of course is a KJV-Only Fundamental Baptist Church)
    Last edited by tailfins; 09-20-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

By the current Pope, from Kath's quoted article, and I would agree. But we must not lose our way in actually getting to part 2:

But the proclamation of the saving love of God comes before moral and religious imperatives. Today sometimes it seems that the opposite order is prevailing.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Now, now, your attempts to infuse logic into this discussion are useless. Why try to make sense of a subject when you can more easily just bash Muslims.
    There would be no order in the world if the TRUTH didn't hurt those that are deserving of it. Hiding and ignoring the truth is a recipe for disaster.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    I'm not a Catholic but I think what they do is extremely important. since many in the world think of of them as representing Jesus Christ or Christians in general. ANd if By Gods Grace a Pope was truly captured to do the will of God and not play religious politics could be an amazing wonder.

Yes mercy is Central to Faith in Jesus, however what is God having mercy for? For Sin.
    Yet many Homosexuals don't want to be told that what they do is Sin.

Jesus was merciful and kind to everyone but he didn't pull in punches either.
    to the woman caught in adultery He said "neither do i condemn (physically kill) you. Go and SIN NO MORE."
    He didn't say: You keep going in your adulterous relationship and I'll make you a Bishopish of a church don't worry about it dear your only human.

People love to be touchy feely about these things.
    Be kind... be merciful... don't hurt feeling... don't accuse... don't judge.

That's all great emotional talk. But Jesus Christ and the Asposltes were never about making people feel like their sins weren't real or serious. But that they could all be forgiven 100%, and as a gift.
    He never wants us to CONTINUE in them or CELEBRATE them. But to make every effort to live HOLY.

Is that a dirty word in the Churches now. HOLINESS?
    Peter said
    Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”....
    1 Peter 1:13-16

God does NOT tell Cristian to berate sinners, but to call fellow sinners to the Grace of God.
    He doesn't call us to excuse or ignore sin but to get washed from our sins by the blood of Jesus.
    He doesn't call us to be mean but to be clear, to speak the truth in love.

sin hasn't changed. There was huge amount of homosexuality in the Roman culture Christianity was 1st set in. But it was never condoned by the the Apostles, it was to be forgiven and put away , not to be assumed "normal".
    it's not some Modern Idea that the lifestyle is ok. like all sin, it's old as dirt.

Abortion, adultery, sex before marriage,
    God has mercy on all sin. but he doesn't want Christians wallowing in it acting like it's OK with God.

And if your not a christian, you don't have to agree with the Bible's view on ANY issues. But funny that some are pissed that many Christians believe in what Moses, Jesus and Apostles taught, in contrast to the same old perversions the Roman's (Caesar -Caligula) believed. just with a modern cultures stamp of approval.

sorry, Many Christians believe that we should change to conform to what the God says about all things, including Sin annnnd Mercy.
    But we don't conform the Bible to what "modern" cultures says. If you want to live like Modern culture says why are you trying to be Christian? I've never understood that.
    "Well I'm a Christian but i don't believe THIS PART of what JESUS or the Apostles says , I won't say OUT LOUD that JESUS was wrong, but it was some .. scribe or priest or... or.. something old backward cultural something that was inserted. Because God Agrees with ME and all my cool unbelieving Friends."

seems weird to me.

Believe me, if I thought the Bible was wrong about all the stuff people complain about i would NOT be a Christian.
    And their is no mercy without sin. I mean, impossible by Catholic doctrine as it is, would a person without sin need God's mercy? No, of course not. Homosexuality is still a sin, just as having any sex that is not in the missionary position for the sole purpose of having babies is considered a sin by the church. And there's no hierarchy of sins here, they both fall under Lust, one of the 7 cardinal sins.

It's sort of impossible to call people to the Grace of God when they're constantly being berated, and this is an issue I've seen in my friends, where they a lot of times forget I'm catholic because I'm not harping about stuff. One of my friends routinely slaps down Christians as a whole, and I finally got sick of turning the other cheek, "Really, I'm an asshole?"

"Well, no, I mean, you're not a real Christian."

I admit it- I gave in to wrath. There was a solid ten minute section of time that was just me going off on things like hypocrisy, broad strokes painting, and how the true fake Christians are the ones using Jesus to fuel hate. Like, people who sit there with those "GOD HATES FAGS" signs, or who kill abortion clinic doctors, they're not Christians, cause God doesn't hate anyone. He hates murder, He hates rape, but He doesn't hate murderers and rapists.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    And their is no mercy without sin. I mean, impossible by Catholic doctrine as it is, would a person without sin need God's mercy? No, of course not. Homosexuality is still a sin, just as having any sex that is not in the missionary position for the sole purpose of having babies is considered a sin by the church. And there's no hierarchy of sins here, they both fall under Lust, one of the 7 cardinal sins.

It's sort of impossible to call people to the Grace of God when they're constantly being berated, and this is an issue I've seen in my friends, where they a lot of times forget I'm catholic because I'm not harping about stuff. One of my friends routinely slaps down Christians as a whole, and I finally got sick of turning the other cheek, "Really, I'm an asshole?"

"Well, no, I mean, you're not a real Christian."

I admit it- I gave in to wrath. There was a solid ten minute section of time that was just me going off on things like hypocrisy, broad strokes painting, and how the true fake Christians are the ones using Jesus to fuel hate. Like, people who sit there with those "GOD HATES FAGS" signs, or who kill abortion clinic doctors, they're not Christians, cause God doesn't hate anyone. He hates murder, He hates rape, but He doesn't hate murderers and rapists.
    "..just as having any sex that is not in the missionary position for the sole purpose of having babies is considered a sin by the church..."
    Not any church i've been a member of. just saying. that line is not from the Bible.
    the Bible says what the married couple do in the bedroom is their own biz.
    The Pope might want to move back from the position you described. if that really the RC teaching nowadays.

As far as the Christians reputation for berating before the mercy goes. well I suppose some of that is deserved . you mention a few groups of nuts. but have you meet many/any Christian that do what your friend describes as "Christian". espescailly since he doesn't consider you one.
    None of the Churches I've attended have marched around with signs or attack people the way you describe. Have Christians fought in the courts to keep homosexual marriage illegal? Yes. Is that calling names? hypocritical? Is it Hate? or just trying to maintain a legal moral standard?

the homosexual groups say if we don't agree with their view of sex then we are hateful. If that's the case then I guess many Christian will just have to live with the label. Even though Many if Not MOST have never called a homosexual a name or killed an abortion doctor.

My point is that that there's an area where there is no compromise. and it's not built on hate. the murderer is not asking that we accept his murders as a "lifestyle" and make it legal and teach it in school as normal. The murderers need/have God's love available as much as anyone. And His hand is outstretched as ours should be as fellow sinners, but should we hire unrepentant murders as priest and pastors?

from the 1st post
    "Pope Francis has warned that the Roman Catholic Church could lose its way if it focuses too much on enforcing rules against contraception, abortion and homosexuality, instead of throwing open its doors and making the church more merciful.

In a candid interview with an Italian Jesuit magazine, Francis also reiterated conciliatory comments he made this summer about not judging gay people.

"A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality,” he told La Civilta Cattolica. “I replied with another question: 'Tell me, when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?'"

lets change the sin
    'Tell me, when God looks at a Murderer, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?'"

I agree. the answer is of course, God loves that person.
    my 1st questions still stand though. What does that mean in practice?
    Last edited by revelarts; 09-21-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16