Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Wow, never spent a dime to record my hunting. I did take some pics with my home camera and had a small photo album that I 've looked for and can not find. I damn sure hope the ex-wife didn't take it when she made a "grab stuff run" on my house before I changed my locks 9 years ago. Still have all the stuff in the antic above the garage to look thru and if its not there she tossed it or made off with it like she did with some really old coins and paper money I had collected over the decades. I guess I should be glad she didn't steal some of my pistols that day. Although I had a really heavy gold chain that had been given to me by a former girlfriend that disappeared back then too. It was given to me back in 1979 when gold was really low price. I can only imagine its worth now if I still had it. Pappy told me some of these dang women jest can't be trusted.--Tyr Anyways, hope you can post some of your videos my friend . I'd really enjoy seeing them..
    Well, Tyr, old buddy, you friends would have probably appreciated your recording hunts cuz mine certainly have. Just so you know, I'm very tight with my money and would usually record over an original hunt after making a copy or two (one for me and one for my friends). I lost a bit of quality doing that but the VHS that I already had was cheaper than the small tapes and stuff that the more modern cameras used. Taping hunts was big back then but now just about everyone does it. Had I stuck to it, I could have been a pioneer as the GREAT Dan Fitzgerald was in the early 80's. I still prefer his old tapes to the new "junk" that's on the outdoor channel. Anyway, the expense is the least of it all. The time and preparation in doing it right is 95% of it. when I first started, my buddy and I were taking turns on the camera but it seemed that I always ended up behind the camera some how and he never had the patience to actually let the deer come in for a good video so I dropped him and started doing it all by my lonesome. That's quite a job with the equipment I used and "created". Sure would have been nice to have one of those small (yet high quality) deals that are now impact and water resistant. I even cut out an old coke bottle to protect my camera from drizzle and such (back in the day). HA!!!

PS; please see my post on the previous page....
    Last edited by red state; 09-09-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    NEVER MESS WITH AN
    IRISH/SCOTT/ITALIAN CHEROKEE!

"A wise man is at the right hand but a fool is at the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
    "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God" Psalms 53:1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Glad you guys had a great time!!! Always good to get away for a while.. I'm long overdue.. Just too many sticks in the fire now Hoss. --Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re-set both my PRO-LINE and DARTON bow today and shot up to 50 yards. I shot well up to 40 yards but at 50, I started getting wild. Of course, I had already shot WAY too much at 20, 30 and a bit at 40 which tired me out and made my fingers extremely soar. My shoulders and all seem fine now but I'll probably feel EVERYTHING in the morning. HA!

Well, I shot well enough to head out this evening...not doing anything else really. It is a bit too hot but we've been seeing them at ALL times of the day so I could very well sit by a group of white oaks to cool off and possibly get a shot off in an hour or so.....gotta get moving though cuz it's after four now. I just finished lunch so I'll have to digest a bit before heading out.

Hope you shot today and are pleased with your groupings.

~Red
    NEVER MESS WITH AN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red state View Post
    Re-set both my PRO-LINE and DARTON bow today and shot up to 50 yards. I shot well up to 40 yards but at 50, I started getting wild. Of course, I had already shot WAY too much at 20, 30 and a bit at 40 which tired me out and made my fingers extremely soar. My shoulders and all seem fine now but I'll probably feel EVERYTHING in the morning. HA!

Well, I shot well enough to head out this evening...not doing anything else really. It is a bit too hot but we've been seeing them at ALL times of the day so I could very well sit by a group of white oaks to cool off and possibly get a shot off in an hour or so.....gotta get moving though cuz it's after four now. I just finished lunch so I'll have to digest a bit before heading out.

Hope you shot today and are pleased with your groupings.

~Red
    No, did not shoot today. My brother driving over tomorrow to do some shooting out by my sister's home in the country. He wants to do some stump shooting but I currently have only one arrow with a judo point. Old one at that, likely to get broken the first few rounds. We always compete a dollar a shot. On a good day I usually win about 30 to 40 bucks before he gives up on the betting. He now notices I always start off shooting badly until he suggests we start competing a dollar a shot. Then magically I pull it together and out perform him! And no I don't feel bad doing him like that ,he is loaded. Dropping 40 bucks to me for him is like spending a nickel. Takes a bigger toll on his ego than anything else. My other brother Ricky has refused to shoot with me like that for over 20 years now. Calls me a sandbagger. He phoned that he may join us Sunday. Which usually means that he will not show up. I will sight in my bows tonight, by stringing each one and pulling them twice each.-- --Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 09-28-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

ahhh, no comment on my little joke.
    I will sight in my bows tonight, by stringing each one and pulling them twice each.-- --Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

No, did not shoot today. My brother driving over tomorrow to do some shooting out by my sister's home in the country. He wants to do some stump shooting but I currently have only one arrow with a judo point. Old one at that, likely to get broken the first few rounds. We always compete a dollar a shot. On a good day I usually win about 30 to 40 bucks before he gives up on the betting. He now notices I always start off shooting badly until he suggests we start competing a dollar a shot. Then magically I pull it together and out perform him! And no I don't feel bad doing him like that ,he is loaded. Dropping 40 bucks to me for him is like spending a nickel. Takes a bigger toll on his ego than anything else. My other brother Ricky has refused to shoot with me like that for over 20 years now. Calls me a sandbagger. He phoned that he may join us Sunday. Which usually means that he will not show up. I will sight in my bows tonight, by stringing each one and pulling them twice each.-- --Tyr
    It's a NO GO....Just looked up the season schedule and saw that it is not open yet (usually when the 1st lands on a Monday or something, it opens in Sept) but not any more....

Sorry to hear that you didn't shoot but it seems that you'll get in some good practice with your brother. That is funny about you sighting in your bow. I can do the same by simply running it through in my head and pulling it back but to make sure that my time (and the deer) isn't wasted, I use sites and stuff. I can hunt both with and without sites (but you know all of this). I just had to get it out cuz I detect a little ANTI-COMPOUND bow sarcasm there. HA!!! I don't care how good a guy is....he can never be as consistent by shooting instinctive as he could had he implemented modern day sites, peeps, rests, stabilizers etc.

I may have to move to Kentucky...
    Kentucky

• Archery: Saturday, September 7th, 2013, through Monday, January 20th, 2014, except quota hunt days and the day immediately before each quota hunt
    • Quota hunts: October 26th-27th and November 23rd-24th
    • Crossbow: October 1st-20th and November 9th-December 31st, except quota hunt days and the day immediately before each quota hunt

__________________________________________________ _____________________________They got it going on!

Our area:

Arkansas

Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Hunting Guidebook 2012-13
    Wildlife • Deer
    Mark Your Calendars For Next Year:
    2013 Deer Season Opening Dates
    Archery. Saturday, Sept. 28, 2013
    Muzzleloader. Saturday, Oct. 19, 2013
    Modern Gun. Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013

Mississippi

• Archery Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2013, through Nov. 22
    • Quota hunts: Archery weapons include: Longbows, recurves, compound bows, and crossbows. There is nominimumormaximumdraw weight. There is nominimumarrow length. Fixed or mechanical broadheads may be used.
    • AntleredBuck Deer:The bag limit on antlered buck deeris one (1) buck per day, notto exceed three (3) perlicense year.
      Legal bucksmustmeetthe antler criteriawithin the appropriate deermanagement zone.
      For youth huntersfifteen (15) years of age and younger, hunting on private land and authorized state and federal lands, all three (3) ofthe three (3) buck bag limit may be any
      antlered deer.
      Antlerless Deer:The bag limit on antlerless deeris one (1) per day, not to exceed five
      (5) perlicense year.
      Spotted Fawns are not to be killed or molested at any time.

http://mdwfp.com/media/7311/Hunting_seasons.pdf

Tennessee

• Archery/Crossbow: Saturday, September 28th 2013, through Sunday, January 5th, 2014, except quota hunt days and the day immediately before each quota hunt
    • Quota hunts: October 19th-20th, November 15th-16th, and November 29th-30th

Hope you win a lot of money tomorrow. Perhaps I can take some of your brother's money someday (out of his hand and yours). HA!!!
    NEVER MESS WITH AN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

ahhh, no comment on my little joke.
    Well, I have the single pin (adjustable) so I'm going to go back out to the archery range and shift my pin (in both bows) to the "out of the way spot" and shoot instinctive. I'll get back to you on how I do. All the kids are going to a friends house to watch the football game and then David and his friend are going out to run their dogs.

Anyway, I did comment on your joke and did pick up on it but was busy writing a long reply with dates from our Southern hunting schedules. Looks as though some States have it going on and Mississippi (YET AGAIN) is put back in the corner.

Maybe we can play "HORSE" one day (as in the basketball game) but use only our bows. Heck, I'll even use one of my home-made bows. Oh...I have also made some really nice pipes and walking canes. If I can ever get my kiln going, I'm gonna get back into pottery. I have been an award winning potter/sculpter earlier in life and hope to get my own shop with Native American/Mountain man items. My wife and I have dreamed of living in the mountains and doing what others seem to enjoy. Bow making and other things that can be used and were a part of our heritage is something that I'd very much enjoy doing so.....once we find some property (at a steal) we may very well do that. We have been looking and it seems that we have missed our window of opportunity for a real deal. Everything was stagnant but it's now on the rebound. I do expect another fall back and as a former investor.....I'm just waiting to make a deal that is in my favor. You won't believe what I bought my hunting land for....so I'll not share that personal info cuz it is unbelievable. Look, TYR, I am NOT a gambling man so if ever I agree to a gentleman's wager.....you can bet your bottom dollar (or last dollar) that I'm in it for the SURE thing. Just giving you fair warning in a long, drawn out way. HA!!!
    NEVER MESS WITH AN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

It's a NO GO....Just looked up the season schedule and saw that it is not open yet (usually when the 1st lands on a Monday or something, it opens in Sept) but not any more....

Sorry to hear that you didn't shoot but it seems that you'll get in some good practice with your brother. That is funny about you sighting in your bow. I can do the same by simply running it through in my head and pulling it back but to make sure that my time (and the deer) isn't wasted, I use sites and stuff. I can hunt both with and without sites (but you know all of this). I just had to get it out cuz I detect a little ANTI-COMPOUND bow sarcasm there. HA!!! I don't care how good a guy is....he can never be as consistent by shooting instinctive as he could had he implemented modern day sites, peeps, rests, stabilizers etc.

I may have to move to Kentucky...
    Kentucky

• Archery: Saturday, September 7th, 2013, through Monday, January 20th, 2014, except quota hunt days and the day immediately before each quota hunt
    • Quota hunts: October 26th-27th and November 23rd-24th
    • Crossbow: October 1st-20th and November 9th-December 31st, except quota hunt days and the day immediately before each quota hunt

__________________________________________________ _____________________________They got it going on!

Our area:

Arkansas

Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Hunting Guidebook 2012-13
    Wildlife • Deer
    Mark Your Calendars For Next Year:
    2013 Deer Season Opening Dates
    Archery. Saturday, Sept. 28, 2013
    Muzzleloader. Saturday, Oct. 19, 2013
    Modern Gun. Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013

Mississippi

• Archery Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2013, through Nov. 22
    • Quota hunts: Archery weapons include: Longbows, recurves, compound bows, and crossbows. There is nominimumormaximumdraw weight. There is nominimumarrow length. Fixed or mechanical broadheads may be used.
    • AntleredBuck Deer:The bag limit on antlered buck deeris one (1) buck per day, notto exceed three (3) perlicense year.
      Legal bucksmustmeetthe antler criteriawithin the appropriate deermanagement zone.
      For youth huntersfifteen (15) years of age and younger, hunting on private land and authorized state and federal lands, all three (3) ofthe three (3) buck bag limit may be any
      antlered deer.
      Antlerless Deer:The bag limit on antlerless deeris one (1) per day, not to exceed five
      (5) perlicense year.
      Spotted Fawns are not to be killed or molested at any time.

http://mdwfp.com/media/7311/Hunting_seasons.pdf

Tennessee

• Archery/Crossbow: Saturday, September 28th 2013, through Sunday, January 5th, 2014, except quota hunt days and the day immediately before each quota hunt
    • Quota hunts: October 19th-20th, November 15th-16th, and November 29th-30th

Hope you win a lot of money tomorrow. Perhaps I can take some of your brother's money someday (out of his hand and yours). HA!!!
    Byron Ferguson would disagree and so would Howard Hill were he alive today my friend. Try shooting aspirins out of the air with a compound and sights. And yes it was some good nature ribbing about the compound and sights. If my brother brings up competing then he'll lose, I never bring it up myself. I let him hang himself so to speak. Just toss out the line and when the fish bites reel it in. By the way, he NEVER offers competing against me with guns! I broke him of that decades ago. Last time we did that in the early 80's he lost 600 bucks to me and learned his lesson. Occasionally, to mess with him I'll say lets do some pistol competition shooting. He usually just curses me a time or two. As he knows its just a small bit of payback for much of the crap he has pulled on me over these many years. -Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 09-28-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Byron Ferguson would disagree and so would Howard Hill were he alive today my friend. Try shooting aspirins out of the air with a compound and sights. And yes it was some good nature ribbing about the compound and sights. If my brother brings up competing then he'll lose, I never bring it up myself. I let him hang himself so to speak. Just toss out the line and when the fish bites reel it in. By the way, he NEVER offers competing against me with guns! I broke him of that decades ago. Last time we did that in the early 80's he lost 600 bucks to me and learned his lesson. Occasionally, to mess with him I'll say lets do some pistol competition shooting. He usually just curses me a time or two. As he knows its just a small bit of payback for much of the crap he has pulled on me over these many years. -Tyr

Now, TYR, if you want a debate....you may have one HERE and NOW (as I am not able to go hunting and the wife caught me before I could head out to the archery range again). YES, I agree that one can not "quick draw" as Fergoson does aspirin....but he can't do it everytime either and it is pretty much a set up as he is short range and relies on repetition. Besides, he has many 'takes' before getting much of it right. I shoot all kinds of ways and will not say one is better than the other but to do my TIME and the animal justice.....I prefer to shoot sites. If I was a starving pilgrim, I'd shoot instinctive as I am so very capable of doing.....bow fishing (fore example) but to close this little debate, you can not tell me that a rifle (without a scope) is better than a rifle with the BEST OF THE BEST scopes (I shoot Leupold) and the same principle is with archery. At short distances, it really doesn't matter but as CONSISTENCY goes....you can't beat an archer with sites (at 100yds). In fact, you can't beat an archer in HOLDING STEADY at 100 yds if you have an older compound with 50-65% let-off as compared to these new contraptions that have up to 90% let-off. Again, I'm not saying one way is better than the other but you MUST admit that sites allow one to be more precise time and Time and TIME again at longer distances in hitting smaller targets. It is just fact.....HA!!!!

OK....since I told my wife that we're not going out (AGAIN) she wants me to fire up the grill............CAN'T WIN FOR LOSING SOMETIMES!!!!
    NEVER MESS WITH AN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

OK...while firing up the grill, I got away from the Mrs's and shot instinctively. I shot SUPER low but quickly adjusted. I then (almost) proved myself wrong on consistency but when going back to sites, busted the plum-sized target that dangled from a string time after time after time. Had the target been a deer's vitals, I would have killed it each time (instinctively) at distances up to 17 yards. Still, one should be able to see the importance of both sites and using instinct. When bowfishing, I do not use sites because (in most cases) the gator-gar require quick-draw & release tactics and too much (such as the varying depths of the water come into play that sites would only hamper and delay a HIT).

There are so many shooting styles and bows out there that one could truly argue different points all day long or all night around the campfire. I prefer bows with little LET-OFF cuz I shoot quickly in most cases and the addition let-off feels so strange that it messes my form/style up too much. That doesn't mean that I don't or can't appreciate the importance of having the newer/high tech bows with extreme let-off.

Another argument that is really silly has to do with primitive archery nuts who accuse one as inferior simply because of their using the SHAFT SHOOTING style instead of true instinctive styles. This is similar to the case that traditional archers use to downplay the skill or preference that modern archers have in using sites. I'm for ALL archery (even cross bows) because they are all primitive weapons (regardless of how "techy" they have evolved over the years). Why....I'm know of folks who look down on recurver traditional archers who prefer the laminated (once-upon-a-time techy RECURVE limbs). I'd go as far as to say if you haven't built your own bow and use it.....don't use any other bow because you're just as guilty as "PURCHASING" a ceraint amount of technology, skill or tools.
    NEVER MESS WITH AN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

TYR, I know you are doing all of that in good nature (as I am) but I also see it as a good topic for the Bow Season thread. I should have simply made it a Guns, Bows and good ole boy thread instead. Everything GOOD about the great outdoors is open for discussion but my main passion happens to be bow hunting.

Since you mentioned GUNS and reeling in the fish.....how do you fair in LONG distance shooting? I assume that you are MUCH better with pistols and at close range because pistols are not my strong suit BUT, I could probably be your huckaberry if I were to bring my rifle out of retirement. We load our own military powder (when we could get it) and did quit a lot of shooting back in the day. In fact, remind me and I'd love to invite you and Justin to our Men's (father & son) day of shooting come May. We pitch washers, horse shoes, shoot shotguns, rifles, pistols......everything but bows but I'd bring mine if you wanted to show folks your bows. I imagine they'd be as much the talk of the party as some of my friends $10,000.oo PLUS shotguns. I can't imagine spending over $2,000 for a rifle but THAT for a shotgun!!!!! Get outta here!
    NEVER MESS WITH AN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Oh....and just so you know....I reset both of my bows cuz I bought new arrows (the same as my son's size since we have identical bows) and with those and my new broadheads, I now have two bows that are TOTALLY interchangeable without having to worry about this or that when it comes to matching them up. I take one bow *(my DARTON) for evening hunts (cuz it has fiber optic/battery operated/light-sites) and my other one for day time cuz it is lighter and easier to adjust the yardages while stalking. Both have their own SLING and both are fully decked out. I still have my old browning bow and others that have 50% or less LET-OFF which makes them more like a recurve but they are too slow for my deer. HA!!! They also have too much ARCH in their archery. HA!!! I haven't changed my set-up in YEARS (till today). I agree, however, once upon a time, all I did was pull my bow back a few times and "pretend" to shoot as this kept my eye trained on the target. I still shot but it was really just for fun and not practice. Whatever I put my eye on.....was dead! Of course, that was when I was a lefty. With my eyes and my old bad left hand, I had to switch to right handed bows. I still shoot fingers and I still shoot long shaft arrows off of an old pronged rest. The arrows I discarded from last year are still good but I'll likely never use them again. This is the first year I'll be using 3" plastic vanes. For YEARS I have used 5" loose plastic or turkey feathers (all white) so that I could see the arrow fly at dusk and so that I could see the type of blood from the pass-thru. This year, my colors are bright yellow and one white with NO cresented shafts in white (as I've always done). Times, they are a changin'.
    NEVER MESS WITH AN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Just got back from 2 hours of good shooting. No bets were made and I was feeling generous so didn't bring it up. I did my usual shooting with the exception that near the end my arm was tired and my accuracy fell off. I made the mistake of only taking my heavy Tom Cole longbow! My Lofton is almost 20 pounds lighter. Damn sure wish I had taken it instead. My shoulder tomorrow morning gonna' tell me about it too. Still have company here so your other posts will be addressed later amigo. -Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

TYR, I know you are doing all of that in good nature (as I am) but I also see it as a good topic for the Bow Season thread. I should have simply made it a Guns, Bows and good ole boy thread instead. Everything GOOD about the great outdoors is open for discussion but my main passion happens to be bow hunting.

Since you mentioned GUNS and reeling in the fish.....how do you fair in LONG distance shooting? I assume that you are MUCH better with pistols and at close range because pistols are not my strong suit BUT, I could probably be your huckaberry if I were to bring my rifle out of retirement. We load our own military powder (when we could get it) and did quit a lot of shooting back in the day. In fact, remind me and I'd love to invite you and Justin to our Men's (father & son) day of shooting come May. We pitch washers, horse shoes, shoot shotguns, rifles, pistols......everything but bows but I'd bring mine if you wanted to show folks your bows. I imagine they'd be as much the talk of the party as some of my friends $10,000.oo PLUS shotguns. I can't imagine spending over $2,000 for a rifle but THAT for a shotgun!!!!! Get outta here!
    I used to wheel and deal in guns , made a nice profit on every gun I bought then resold. Only once back then did I ever pay over a thousand bucks and it was for a pair of matching Colt revolvers that had the best engraving on pistols that I've ever seen. Paid the guy 1100 bucks, sold 'em two years later for 1600. I never shot them because the guy I bought 'em from had never shot them and the guy I sold 'em too swore he never would. Price kept going up for mint condition unfired weapons. Hell, they are likely worth 4 or 5 grand now if not more. Long distance shooting I am pretty good at although never really practiced much for shots longer than 300 yards but that was without scopes. Most of my practice with rifle , pistol and shotgun was at normal ranges , typical of hunting. As a kid I could go into the woods with adults that all had nice 12 gauge shotguns while I had an old single shot 22 caliber rifle. We all come out of the woods back to the truck and just about every time I had the greatest number of squirrels. Hell, these days if you talk about squirrel hunting with a single shot 22 caliber rifle the young guys look at you like you just came from Mars! Most never even shot a 22 caliber rifle having been bought shotguns as their first guns. I'd never do that to a kid. First real gun should always be a 22 caliber rifle so as to hone their accuracy in shooting. -Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Sorry for the late reply....just got back from your neck of the woods....had a great burger at Firebirds and then the flourless brownie at BoneFish. Up really too late for going hunting in the morning.....but we'll see. I shot really well at 40 yards today but was pulling to the left with the practice tip. I most ALWAYS shoot a broadhead and almost NEVER a practice tip but It was muddy today and I shoot at a small floating (sometimes rocking) target that is dangled from a sting (which the arrow always penetrates my pond levee whether I'm dead on or not. Just didn't want to get my broadheads all muddy and it was good to see that my practice tip shoots a hair to the left while my broadheads tend to shoot just a bit to the right. I know....I know, I have some adjusting to do but it is so irrelevant as to the "kill zone" that I'll leave it be (for now).

I agree entirely.....I also squirrel hunted with a 22 and refused to do anything but HEAD shots. My dog would tree them (had a very nice, high priced dog that I trained) and I often times didn't even need a gun cuz of how fast that blame dog was. It took quite a lot of breaking to get that dog to settle down. My grandpa had one of the best but he had to get rid of him because he could never break him of going from dead squirrel to the next squirrel in the next hollow. He simply wore my pa out. HA!!! We have a few good dogs now but nothing like the ones we had back when. My dad had some of the BEST beagles in the country (if not the world) and folks as far as Florida to the South East and NJ to the North East. If I'm not mistaken, Idaho was also in the mix to buy dad's bloodline or mix their bloodline to ours. At one time, dad had well over 50 beagles! We never got into squirrel hunting dogs but dad had MANY trophies (over 100) that his dogs won. Dad always had a green thumb, an eye for hunting dogs and a steady trigger finger for long distance shots. The furthest I've ever taken a deer was at 420+ yards and that is a long distance for the SOUTH and for two bucks fighting over ONE doe's attention. I took the bigger buck and he was certainly busy trying to run the other buck off. In the process, he was keeping me extremely busy in getting everything just right before squeezing off a round...or two....or three. HA!!! Yeah, I missed the first two shots but nailed him clean on the third. I even have that long distance bullet. It almost went completely through him and when I rolled him over to see the exit wound.....saw only a tumor-looking protrusion. When I touched it with my knife, the bullet popped put. I mounted the mushroomed lead with the buck's antlers.....as well as some dice. HA!!!

As for the pistols....I wouldn't want to shoot them or the high priced shotguns that some of my friends shoot BUT they shoot those $10,000.oo guns all the time. One friend (from Texas originally) shoots two. One is a composite OLYMPIC looking gun with high-teck everything (including those custom cheek rests that are micro tunable and the other is a gorgeous hunting looking gun with gold trigger and beautiful engravings. My Browning is beautiful but it is only a $700 to $1,000 dollar 12 gauge that I turkey hunt with. It has two loping bucks on one side and two tom turkeys engraved on the other side. the shells come out the bottom (as all shells should). I simply can't see paying 10grand for a gun of any type but I'm sure there are those who think we are KraZy for spending the money we spend on "regular" guns. My rifle is an expensive firearm with a scope that costs as much as some guns do. That glass can be as expensive as diamonds in some cases but a good glass is a good thing to have. HA!!! I've never liked ANY firearm without a scope. Even my turkey gun has a scope. It comes off when skeet shooting and such but for hunting....I always want the best that allows for little mistakes. I believe I and the game I hunt deserve a good clean kill.

Well, time to hit the hay....may even go out in my short pants and flip flops int he morning....supposed to be in the mid to upper 80's and that is too hot to be walking around in camo. HA!!!
    NEVER MESS WITH AN