Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jafar00 View Post
    I don't agree with any person playing a Prophet of Jesus's standing. How could any man approach portraying his greatness?
    I agree that no one can, but for one to try, and to try and document what took place, I don't think is insulting. Of course no one will ever be as great as Jesus, but I don't think that's what they are shooting for. They are not trying to duplicate him, but rather tell a story, inform, educate.

I don't think anyone could duplicate any prophet either, to include Muhammed. And even though they never showed his face, there is more to the greatness than a likeness. And I didn't find Messenger insulting, and I thought they did right by Islam and Muslims. IMO it's the same thing, a story being told, events being recreated and retold. The only major difference was that out of respect for Islam, they refused to put a depiction of Muhammed on the screen.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I typically dislike Christ-themed movies featuring a white/caucasion actor and brittish accents. "Look at the WHITE Jesus saving all the Arab-looking folk!" Ruins the whole thing for me. The Passion of the Christ worked VERY well, however - no other Christ-centric movie can come close.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I typically dislike Christ-themed movies featuring a white/caucasion actor and brittish accents. "Look at the WHITE Jesus saving all the Arab-looking folk!" Ruins the whole thing for me. The Passion of the Christ worked VERY well, however - no other Christ-centric movie can come close.
    I don't think ANY Christ based movie will ever top Passion. That's why Gibson went with the Aramaic and Latin and accents. He wanted to ensure the realism. But we/I still may be able to learn more from this movie, and of course entertained at the same time. I'm not like everyone else, as in I lack in the full knowledge of our religion. I read the bible, but still lack the knowledge. I can learn more visually than I can from reading. I just needed my wife to watch Passion with me to help me learn and to ensure it was all bible related when I had questions.

4. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I don't think ANY Christ based movie will ever top Passion. That's why Gibson went with the Aramaic and Latin and accents. He wanted to ensure the realism. But we/I still may be able to learn more from this movie, and of course entertained at the same time. I'm not like everyone else, as in I lack in the full knowledge of our religion. I read the bible, but still lack the knowledge. I can learn more visually than I can from reading. I just needed my wife to watch Passion with me to help me learn and to ensure it was all bible related when I had questions.
    Do not worry about The Passion being all-bible-related. Doesn't matter to the story. The message of the story advances beyond what specific words are chosen, or speculation about what Christ said, thought, etc.

For example - in one scene Jesus builds a table - and his mom wonders why it's so high!

Did that interaction happen? There exists NO biblical reference - yet it doesn't matter towards the point of the story. Jesus likely loved his Mother and Father here on earth - and his siblings - like you or I would love those people.

Of VASTLY more importance than what is even written in the bible is the message the writers of the bible want us to know. I believe that message is this:

Love people. Loving people IS loving God. Loving people drives kind acts and thoughts and words. Loving people drives humanitarian causes. Loving people drives striving for FREEDOM from oppression. Loving people could mean even electing leaders that HELP people vs those we have now who HURT people.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

6. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)

Of VASTLY more importance than what is even written in the bible is the message the writers of the bible want us to know. I believe that message is this:

Love people. Loving people IS loving God. Loving people drives kind acts and thoughts and words. Loving people drives humanitarian causes. Loving people drives striving for FREEDOM from oppression. Loving people could mean even electing leaders that HELP people vs those we have now who HURT people.
    I couldn't agree more, very well said!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Do not worry about The Passion being all-bible-related. Doesn't matter to the story. The message of the story advances beyond what specific words are chosen, or speculation about what Christ said, thought, etc.

For example - in one scene Jesus builds a table - and his mom wonders why it's so high!

Did that interaction happen? There exists NO biblical reference - yet it doesn't matter towards the point of the story. Jesus likely loved his Mother and Father here on earth - and his siblings - like you or I would love those people.

And the hardest thing to do, as we appear to be built to be self-loving above all else. As I grow older, the thing I notice most by far about people's behavior these days is how incredibly, overwhelmingly, stunningly selfish we are.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

9. Thanks jimnyc, darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

I went last Friday night and seen the movie, I thought it was great, just my opinion but I liked it.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

11. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post