Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Hmmm. Really? Good thing I'm a Marine and not a soldier then. I've done more than a few things that were classified and was debriefed when I retired that I would be prosecuted for divulging any classified info. It goes with a clearance and AT would know that since he was a RM.

I've got a better question than all this speculation and witch-hunting y'all got going on @born2decades2late ..... just some clarification (and I don't need any dog-piling help from AT, Tyr nor Red States) Instead of flapping your gums, learn how to do it right.

You have talked about shooting at distances only snipers shoot at in one thread. In another, you claim to have X number of knife kills. What was your primary weapon?

I'll start with the obvious. The former is done at extreme distance and the latter is done close up. One precludes the other. A sniper caught close up doesn't come home to talk about it. Two-man sniper teams are taught to evade and escape, not engage because they are ALWAYS out-numbered and 9 times out of 10 die quick.

Second, what wars did you participate in? The last war there were any engagements that required hand to hand combat was the Vietnam War. The years you listed don't sync with that. You're younger than I am and I was in 6th grade when Vietnam ended.

Any "kills" with a knife since that time would be murder, not combat kills. Not sure I'd be bragging on an open forum about that.

Third, based on the years of service you posted, your primary infantry weapon would have been an M-16A2. Break one down. Plenty of bandwidth here for ya.

Here's your opportunity to square away some inconsistencies just so we can all get it clear in our minds.
    I'll wait.
    Last edited by Gunny; 09-30-2014 at 04:33 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I said .... if he wouldn't answer I would.
    He has been listed as replying to this thread as per "who's online" for a little while now....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    He has been listed as replying to this thread as per "who's online" for a little while now....
    Notice that's not a short reply?

I got a PM. If he's replying, he can't see my post, can he? Or you can delete it and I' can do it again later.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Notice that's not a short reply?

I got a PM. If he's replying, he can't see my post, can he? Or you can delete it and I' can do it again later.
    Ok, soft deleted, will reinstate your post after his reply is here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Fixed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Fixed.
    I guess we did same thing at same time!

7. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

I guess we did same thing at same time!
    That's fine. I can wait.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm. Really? Good thing I'm a Marine and not a soldier then. I've done more than a few things that were classified and was debriefed when I retired that I would be prosecuted for divulging any classified info. It goes with a clearance and AT would know that since he was a RM.

I've got a better question than all this speculation and witch-hunting y'all got going on @born2decades2late ..... just some clarification (and I don't need any dog-piling help from AT, Tyr nor Red States) Instead of flapping your gums, learn how to do it right.

You have talked about shooting at distances only snipers shoot at in one thread. In another, you claim to have X number of knife kills. What was your primary weapon?

I'll start with the obvious. The former is done at extreme distance and the latter is done close up. One precludes the other. A sniper caught close up doesn't come home to talk about it. Two-man sniper teams are taught to evade and escape, not engage because they are ALWAYS out-numbered and 9 times out of 10 die quick.

Second, what wars did you participate in? The last war there were any engagements that required hand to hand combat was the Vietnam War. The years you listed don't sync with that. You're younger than I am and I was in 6th grade when Vietnam ended.

Any "kills" with a knife since that time would be murder, not combat kills. Not sure I'd be bragging on an open forum about that.

Third, based on the years of service you posted, your primary infantry weapon would have been an M-16A2. Break one down. Plenty of bandwidth here for ya.

Here's your opportunity to square away some inconsistencies just so we can all get it clear in our minds.
    Just seen this post , actually didn't see it - had it pointed out to me. Please bear with me. I'm just learning this new thing (to me) called message boards if I miss a question or two.

Okay first, every Ranger needs to learn to do every job on the team well enough to take over if the man actually doing the job went down. That means being adept at long range work, short range work, radios, medical, whatever. I never in my career actually had to shoot anyone from a long distance, but I had to be up to snuff with the weapons necessary to do so in case it was necessary.

My primary assignment was as the point man, if I'd ever have needed to be on the sniper rifle it meant something went seriously wrong.

Still had to be qualified on it , just in case.

As for what wars I've participated in, the answer technically is none. I was born in 1971. However if you are asking me where I've engaged in hand to hand combat with the enemy the answer is Columbia, and Afghanistan are the places I can tell you about.

As for kills with a knife being murder rather than a combat kill, well that is a bit tricky, but I don't think that is true. I could be wrong, but.............

Oh, and I wasn't bragging. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I only meant to convey my experiences .

As for my primary weapon. A Ranger's primary weapon is his mind. However I've a feeling you meant firearms. You speak of the M16A2 and yes of course I utilized that weapon, but I actually began my career learning to shoot with the M16A1 in Basic Training (for DMP) A few key differences were of course the M16A1 was fully automatic (actually still is, as many of them are still in service outside the US military) whereas the M16A2 was only capable of either semi auto fire or a 3 round burst. Also, the damn M16a1 had no brass deflector, which truly sucked for a left handed shooter. Many other differences of course, but I've a basketball game to attend tonight and didn't want anyone to think I was avoiding these questions.

Then of course came the M16A3 which was a modified version of the M16A2 for special forces, which DID fire full auto, but I never used that weapon. Jumped straight from the M16A2 to the M4. Which is of course nothing more than the newest M16 but in a modular design that allows the user to customize it as the job dictates. Once again 3 round bursts or semi auto fire, though there are M4A1s out there which are capable of fully auto fire, I never personally fired one. We relied on bigger, better weapons when full auto was called for.

I'm sorry if I presented any inconsistency, please remember I've never posted on a message board before. So yes, I'm proud of my service, but never meant to brag about anything.

Anyway, off to watch a 9 year old play basketball so you guys have a great evening.

10. Thanks Gaffer, NightTrain, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wow sorry it took me longer to answer than you guys would like, I am trying to be a parent AND answer your questions. Sheesh

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Born2DecadesLate View Post
    Just seen this post , actually didn't see it - had it pointed out to me. Please bear with me. I'm just learning this new thing (to me) called message boards if I miss a question or two.

Okay first, every Ranger needs to learn to do every job on the team well enough to take over if the man actually doing the job went down. That means being adept at long range work, short range work, radios, medical, whatever. I never in my career actually had to shoot anyone from a long distance, but I had to be up to snuff with the weapons necessary to do so in case it was necessary.

My primary assignment was as the point man, if I'd ever have needed to be on the sniper rifle it meant something went seriously wrong.

Still had to be qualified on it , just in case.

As for what wars I've participated in, the answer technically is none. I was born in 1971. However if you are asking me where I've engaged in hand to hand combat with the enemy the answer is Columbia, and Afghanistan are the places I can tell you about.

As for kills with a knife being murder rather than a combat kill, well that is a bit tricky, but I don't think that is true. I could be wrong, but.............

Oh, and I wasn't bragging. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I only meant to convey my experiences .

As for my primary weapon. A Ranger's primary weapon is his mind. However I've a feeling you meant firearms. You speak of the M16A2 and yes of course I utilized that weapon, but I actually began my career learning to shoot with the M16A1 in Basic Training (for DMP) A few key differences were of course the M16A1 was fully automatic (actually still is, as many of them are still in service outside the US military) whereas the M16A2 was only capable of either semi auto fire or a 3 round burst. Also, the damn M16a1 had no brass deflector, which truly sucked for a left handed shooter. Many other differences of course, but I've a basketball game to attend tonight and didn't want anyone to think I was avoiding these questions.

Then of course came the M16A3 which was a modified version of the M16A2 for special forces, which DID fire full auto, but I never used that weapon. Jumped straight from the M16A2 to the M4. Which is of course nothing more than the newest M16 but in a modular design that allows the user to customize it as the job dictates. Once again 3 round bursts or semi auto fire, though there are M4A1s out there which are capable of fully auto fire, I never personally fired one. We relied on bigger, better weapons when full auto was called for.

I'm sorry if I presented any inconsistency, please remember I've never posted on a message board before. So yes, I'm proud of my service, but never meant to brag about anything.

Anyway, off to watch a 9 year old play basketball so you guys have a great evening.
    I'll give you the benefit of doubt until you prove otherwise. You're kind of on probation with me because I don't know but a few psycho's that talking about killing. Unless it's about the nightmares and addictions it's caused. I'm up to snuff on THAT one.

Nothing you posted is factually incorrect.

Anyone else got anything that isn't of a personal attack in nature?

13. Thanks NightTrain, Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I'll give you the benefit of doubt until you prove otherwise. You're kind of on probation with me because I don't know but a few psycho's that talking about killing. Unless it's about the nightmares and addictions it's caused. I'm up to snuff on THAT one.

Nothing you posted is factually incorrect.

Anyone else got anything that isn't of a personal attack in nature?
    That's what I say, ask questions that he says he can answer. No need for an inquisition, but if veterans choose to question him, we might as well get it out of the way now then.

15. Thanks Gunny, NightTrain, Jeff thanked this post