Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybone View Post
    you mean three things that are required to drive?

i can understand some of the points, like why they don't do it closer to the bars, but that would have to be every weekend or even night in some places. that would be a little too far i think, but not a random checkpoint.
    Random an discrimination are key regarding 'checkpoints'.

Random: They can't set one up outside a club and be effective at curbing DUIs.The only result of that would be the closing of a business. Folk ain't going there if they know what's waiting just outside.

Discrimination: There can't be any charge of discrimination at a checkpoint because EVERYONE that comes along is asked for the same information. It doesn't matter where you came from, what color or sex you are everyone is equal.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Random an discrimination are key regarding 'checkpoints'.

Random: They can't set one up outside a club and be effective at curbing DUIs.The only result of that would be the closing of a business. Folk ain't going there if they know what's waiting just outside.

Discrimination: There can't be any charge of discrimination at a checkpoint because EVERYONE that comes along is asked for the same information. It doesn't matter where you came from, what color or sex you are everyone is equal.
    i know that. and that is what i meant (understand not agree), these things are random, they aren't set up to pick on a certain group of ppl. it's these ppl that are going on about nazi's and such.
    Last edited by Monkeybone; 06-03-2007 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chum43 View Post
    I Just believe in all instances of government and law enforcement that if you aren't doing anything wrong you should be left alone.

and no the dui check specifically isn't really harrassment, but it is an uncalled for inconvenience when you have to prove you belong on the road when you haven't done anything wrong by showing documents... it's more the principal of the thing, you have to show papers to prove you belong somewhere when you haven't done anything wrong and you aren't suspicious in any way and no one has any specific reason to believe you don't belong there, that is intrusive and shouldn't be happening on any level.
    Inconvenience? Maybe. Papers to prove you belong somewhere? No. It's paper to prove you are legally on the road, nothing more.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not saying they ignore them, I'm simply saying they do the same thing they do when they are out patrolling the streets, only asking for verification and searching vehicles when they witness someone either doing something suspicious or breaking the law... asking for license, registration, and insurance at a dui checkpoint is more than just not ignoring people breaking the law... again it's not about catching the few people who have suspended licenses, it's about the fact that they had to harrass many people who did nothing wrong in order to get those few.
    I don't believe that vehicles are being searched without probable cause. The cops can tell whether you are in comliance with seatbelt laws just by looking at you when you roll up. The only additional thing being done is a license check. I'd hardly call it harrassment to be asked to look at your license. And I'd much prefer non-insured drivers get identified at a checkpoint than after they've hit me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    I don't believe that vehicles are being searched without probable cause. The cops can tell whether you are in comliance with seatbelt laws just by looking at you when you roll up. The only additional thing being done is a license check. I'd hardly call it harrassment to be asked to look at your license. And I'd much prefer non-insured drivers get identified at a checkpoint than after they've hit me.
    like i said it's just the principal of it... unjustified checking of documentation... I don't need to constantly prove myself as a law abiding citizen, given this is just a once in a while thing checkpoints here and there, but it could get worse if no one has a problem with it, I personally have a problem with it thats all.
    See You In Hell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

like i said it's just the principal of it... unjustified checking of documentation... I don't need to constantly prove myself as a law abiding citizen, given this is just a once in a while thing checkpoints here and there, but it could get worse if no one has a problem with it, I personally have a problem with it thats all.
    It's not unjustified at all. I'm glad the police are extra vigilant on holidays with checks/blocks etc. when more people are on the road and maybe some shouldn't be.

You don't need to 'constantly prove myself as a law abiding citizen' either, this is not an everyday thing. Regardless, they won't ask for anything other than the standard info you should have at anytime. So it really comes down to "crap 10 more minutes" to get where I'm going. BFD!

Do they have these stops/checks in Nevada? You seem paranoid to me.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Constantly ? How many times did you have to prove who you were last month? Get used to it tho----if we want enforcement and cops can't profile then we all get checked.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I am in total agreement with Mr. P. I wouldn't mind having more checkpoints. If my having to be delayed 10 or 15 minutes will remove criminals with warrants out for them from the streets, I am all for it. If you have beer cans or liquor bottles in your car, or if your breath smells of alcohol, you deserve to be tested and/or search. If you are not carrying a license, insurance and vehicle registration, you deserve to be carted off to jail.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I like it when both sides agree with me...I get all fuzzy.

Seriously, Gabby..I'm glad you feel that way.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    Constantly ? How many times did you have to prove who you were last month? Get used to it tho----if we want enforcement and cops can't profile then we all get checked.
    if you read my post you'll notice I said it's just a once in a while thing here and there are actually quite infrequent... my point is that the attitude that most americans have on the issue is a breeding ground for there to be more of them, hell most of you WANT more of them... it's not that I think I have to constantly prove my myself, it's the fear that we're headed there, and I believe we are, if this isn't the start right now, it is definitely a starting point, and if people accept it and allow it to increase we have problems, and yes i'll admit i'm a little paranoid, when you constantly hear about all the corruption in government you stop trusting it to "just do the right thing" when given the option of the doing the wrong thing, and no it's not the bush administration, it's the whole damn world in the whole of modern times... governments are corrupt when given the option, THATS a fact, i'm just advocating minimizing those options, thats all... i've said from the beginning occasional dui checks are fine by me, it's the increasing requirements(although very small as of yet) of such a check that have me paranoid.
    See You In Hell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    If you have beer cans or liquor bottles in your car, or if your breath smells of alcohol, you deserve to be tested and/or search. If you are not carrying a license, insurance and vehicle registration, you deserve to be carted off to jail.
    who doesn't agree with that? everyone agrees with that, that isn't the issue, the issue is how often and to what extent is it ok for them to stop innocent people doing nothing wrong to make sure they aren't one of those people who should be carted off to jail?... my answer would be as little as possible while still keeping the roads safe, I just don't see how much more safe the roads really are if they do anything more than check for drunks at a dui checkpoint.
    See You In Hell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ............

I like it when both sides agree with me...I get all fuzzy.

Seriously, Gabby..I'm glad you feel that way.
    Warm and Fuzzy?

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

Inconvenience? Maybe. Papers to prove you belong somewhere? No. It's paper to prove you are legally on the road, nothing more.
    If it's a license, registration and insurance check, then DUI Checkpoint is a misnomer, no?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke