Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Always a great problem how to increase board membership, and not invite in a free for all, chaotic mess.
    Very true, this site needs more liberals, opposition and not strong right-wing members(we have abundance of those now )...

If most everybody is a steak lover , then getting lobster on the menu is a hard sell.

Getting members to stop sniping at each other is always a delicate issue unless one wants to fly with the banning paddle...

I can only speak for me but I will be civil to my lone nemesis here and hope for the best...

The rest of my thoughts I sent in a pm to Kat. She is free to share those with the other admin here..

Just that I encourage my friends to pay heed and try to help with this as best as they can!
    For who among us does not want this board to thrive and prosper? - Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Getting members to stop sniping at each other is always a delicate issue unless one wants to fly with the banning paddle...

I can only speak for me but I will be civil to my lone nemesis here and hope for the best...
    No banning paddles.

There's no forcing of being civil, or expectations that the full civility will be there in every post of every thread. But I think if we all made a little bit of an effort to try we would see much better threads, resulting in much better responses.

At least until the next time one of you bastards dares disagree with me!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    No banning paddles.

There's no forcing of being civil, or expectations that the full civility will be there in every post of every thread. But I think if we all made a little bit of an effort to try we would see much better threads, resulting in much better responses.

At least until the next time one of you bastards dares disagree with me!
    My battery is about to die, quick input. I'm not for banning, I'm for folks that joined a messageboard to discuss/debate remembering why they first joined. It wasn't to be denigrated or to have their ass kissed.

It's good to have friends, it's good to acknowledge points one agrees with or that make one laugh or just think.

It's not so good when a 'group think' sets in, locking out any voices that aren't in lockstep. IMO one can either try to persuade the dissenter or one can destroy their argument, but it's bad form to destroy the poster rather than the post.

Drummond argued strongly for his position, yet didn't resort to calling me 'liberal.' When he moved in what I saw as 'unfair tactics, even logical fallacies,' I called out, but neither of us attacked each other, just ideas.

It's not hard, if one respects the other. Perhaps we can set this as a trend to continue?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    It wasn't to.... have their ass kissed.
    That's why people become message board mods or Homeowners Association Presidents. Personally, I prefer cash for my work. If flattery can GET you free labor, then you're on the sweet side of the deal.
    Last edited by tailfins; 04-18-2015 at 12:45 PM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    That's why people become message board mods or Homeowners Association Presidents. Personally, I prefer cash for my work. If flattery can GET you free labor, then you're on the sweet side of the deal.
    Interesting observation. Personally seems that HOA Presidents choose to run for position for either personal agenda or really wanting to make community a better place, much like politicians.

OTOH, has little to do with either the points raised regarding the original thread or reason for having this OT thread in announcement.

Seems though perhaps it served to get some personal hostility off for staff. Hope it helps you.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I want to thank Tyr on the board for comments and suggestions on how we may all go about improving this little community. Thank you, Tyr.

BTW, part of our discussion was on the poetry forum, if you haven't looked around there, please do. Feel free to add your own poetry or prose if the spirit moves you. Tyr would love some company!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    Becoming well known for being snarky some people seem to aspire to..
    I too, prefer cash but here we post freely and pay no dues.. The least we can do is try to improve conditions when asked to try to help out IMHO.
    There is flattery, false flattery and sincere appreciation/agreement. The last one is to be encouraged since it reflects highly upon the poster...-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I'm off to work, tethering my laptop to charge it up. See you all tonight.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Always a great problem how to increase board membership, and not invite in a free for all, chaotic mess.

Very true, this site needs more liberals, opposition and not strong right-wing members(we have abundance of those now.....
    jim, I was supposed to send you a PM about my views. This ^^^ is exactly what I meant to send, but I feared it would offend you. Silly of me, I know. I didn't want to criticize what you have made.

Me too, I don't like when people here call one another "stupid", "liar", and the like. Everyone here is intelligent; some just have different viewpoints. I did not feel the "Libertarian" thread got out of hand. I loved it.

Until we quit calling people like Gabby names, vicious names, I don't see the board growing. As much as we all dislike the liberal viewpoint, they do provoke discussing and debate. Right now we all mostly congratulate each other on saying some conservative this-or-that in a different way than what we have said.

I caution of allowing too many liberals. I was on a site for a couple of years where the liberals and homosexuals came in. It ruined the board. It wasn't that they would post stuff about queers news and concerns, it was that every new post was a new thread. Soon, when you clicked "What's new", it was all about queers and liberal stuff. Many good conservatives and liberatarians left.

Nearly everyone here treats me kindly, as I do you. I wish we would do that to Gabby and other liberals. Even FJ.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    jim, I was supposed to send you a PM about my views. This ^^^ is exactly what I meant to send, but I feared it would offend you. Silly of me, I know. I didn't want to criticize what you have made.

Me too, I don't like when people here call one another "stupid", "liar", and the like. Everyone here is intelligent; some just have different viewpoints. I did not feel the "Libertarian" thread got out of hand. I loved it.

Until we quit calling people like Gabby names, vicious names, I don't see the board growing. As much as we all dislike the liberal viewpoint, they do provoke discussing and debate. Right now we all mostly congratulate each other on saying some conservative this-or-that in a different way than what we have said.

I caution of allowing too many liberals. I was on a site for a couple of years where the liberals and homosexuals came in. It ruined the board. It wasn't that they would post stuff about queers news and concerns, it was that every new post was a new thread. Soon, when you clicked "What's new", it was all about queers and liberal stuff. Many good conservatives and liberatarians left.

Nearly everyone here treats me kindly, as I do you. I wish we would do that to Gabby and other liberals. Even FJ.

Anyway, just my two cents.
    If Gabby don't start nothin', there won't be nothin'.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Apologies to Kathianne. I drafted & added a fairly long-winded reply to her on the 'Libertarian' thread before realising the existence of this one.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Apologies to Kathianne. I drafted & added a fairly long-winded reply to her on the 'Libertarian' thread before realising the existence of this one.
    Looks like you put it in this thread to me?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Looks like you put it in this thread to me?
    Just spotted. I was sure it was added to the 'Libertarian' thread ??

My computer did fail to post it, initially. But as I'd copied all my intended text before trying to post it (a habit I've adopted for this forum), I then went through the posting action a second time. Apparently on THIS thread, not the other one ...

I'm baffled.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Just spotted. I was sure it was added to the 'Libertarian' thread ??

My computer did fail to post it, initially. But as I'd copied all my intended text before trying to post it (a habit I've adopted for this forum), I then went through the posting action a second time. Apparently on THIS thread, not the other one ...

I'm baffled.
    Maybe the post itself just knew where you meant to post it? Maybe it felt bad and walked over here and sat down? Posts are mysterious little buggers!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post

FJ is perfectly welcome to give such conduct to others, as well as to expect to receive it. This is no less than a fair and even-handed expectation.

As to the bolded part ... I simply cannot agree more !! I saw just such an example of ruination on a forum where Leftist trolls invaded it and smashed up all chance of civilised discussion. Insults, name-calling ... that was just a part of it. I learned from that experience that there are no depths a fully committed Leftie will not stoop to.

I have never seen the equivalent offered to anything like such an extent from those genuinely representing the Right.