Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I couldn't care less about efficiency. I love my warm incandescent light, and have been stockpiling the bulbs for as long as I can. I absolutely hate that it is being phased out.
    I used to think like that but "warmth" is merely a color, and LEDs can be tuned to just about any color, including mimicking an incandescent.

For me the biggest benefit is a lot less heat. I have some ceiling fixtures that used to get dreadfully hot, actually turning some of the decorative parts brown like a slow burn. In the winter it's not such a big deal but in the summer the AC system has that much more heat to remove from the house. I've seen a dramatic decrease in my electric bill.

Second biggest benefir is that I'm not changing them out all the time. I have so many different sizes and wattage of bulbs that I had a large shelf in my kitchen dedicated to replacements. Now I just a few that I'm waiting for manufacturers to make LEDs for.

2. Thanks aboutime, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

My apologies. I didn't mean to sound like I preferred LED's over the Older bulbs. But we have noticed how one living-room lamp, with the new LED brand, has lasted nearly a full year. While other standard bulbs quickly burn-out, and need replacement.

To each his own. But the one drawback is...care in getting rid of the newer bulbs. Almost seems as if YOU MUST CALL HAZMAT to get rid of them.

Shhhhh! We won't tell if you won't. Nobody really knows what is happening anyway!
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

4. Thanks Perianne, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    My apologies. I didn't mean to sound like I preferred LED's over the Older bulbs. But we have noticed how one living-room lamp, with the new LED brand, has lasted nearly a full year. While other standard bulbs quickly burn-out, and need replacement.

To each his own. But the one drawback is...care in getting rid of the newer bulbs. Almost seems as if YOU MUST CALL HAZMAT to get rid of them.

Shhhhh! We won't tell if you won't. Nobody really knows what is happening anyway!
    You mean getting rid of the old CFLs? Lowes has a recycling box at the entrance in every store. Just toss'em in a plastic shopping bag and when you have a few and need hardware for something remember to bring them with you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    This thread reads as though you still have a choice in the matter ??

Here in the UK - its still possible to buy the older-tech bulbs ... IF you shop around, IF you're lucky enough to have a shop with a stock in your area (I know several London shops selling them, but none locally to me). But I believe I'm right in saying that none are being manufactured in my part of the world, so when stores exhaust their stocks, that'll be it...

Anyway, over here, there's an ongoing process in Britain and the EU to outlaw them. See ....

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN04958.pdf

I quite like the new ones. That said .. the last I heard, they were still unsuitable for dimmer switches ? Is that still true ?
    They are making dimmable LED lights now.

I am slowly replacing regular bulbs with LED ones. The ceiling fan in my living room caused regular bulbs to burn out every month or so. Now, with the LED ones, they have lasted a long time.

In the kitchen I have a bright light hanging from the ceiling. I used one of the coiled fluorescent there because the LED is not bright enough. But otherwise, I am happy with the LED ones. And they will last for a loooong time. Saves money two different ways!

7. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just to switch it up, a bit, I have been working in the entertainment lighting business for better than 20 years, now. The majority of fixtures used, now, are LED based, BUT, there are certain places, and times when a traditional lamp is the only way to go...such as will a LARGE 1200 to 2000W fixture, used in long throw situations, such as large arena tours and stadiums.

The majority are now LED, where the LED chip is capable of RGBAW color mixing from an individual LED node....and the intensity has become very useable.

Check out this demonstration of ALL LED fixtures presented at one of our last international sales meetings:

Gadget (fmr Marine)

Don't speak unless spoken to......slimeball!

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot....They don't know what they are doing?

9. Thanks Perianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget (fmr Marine) View Post
    Just to switch it up, a bit, I have been working in the entertainment lighting business for better than 20 years, now. The majority of fixtures used, now, are LED based, BUT, there are certain places, and times when a traditional lamp is the only way to go...such as will a LARGE 1200 to 2000W fixture, used in long throw situations, such as large arena tours and stadiums.

The majority are now LED, where the LED chip is capable of RGBAW color mixing from an individual LED node....and the intensity has become very useable.

Check out this demonstration of ALL LED fixtures presented at one of our last international sales meetings:

That was all LED? Impressive if so.

11. Thanks Gadget (fmr Marine) thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    That was all LED? Impressive if so.
    Yes, ALL LED. (as are the majority of fixtures you see on TV performance shows - I've sold several hundred LED fixtures to The Voice, over the last several years, as well as Zac Brown, Darius Rucker, and working on Santana, soon, hopefully)
    Gadget (fmr Marine)

Don't speak unless spoken to......slimeball!

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot....They don't know what they are doing?

13. Thanks Perianne thanked this post