Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

in Nam it was Russian Trawlers. back behind us like sharks rolling film of unreps to see what weapons are being transferred and warning the North of incoming air attacks

AGI Russian Trawler heading across the
    Bonnie Dick's Starboard Bow

you've heard of Russian roulette. that's what this fucker is doing. cutting in front of one of our carriers to force an emergency break away. in this case it was the Bonhomme Richard

Vietnam 1967 a "whale tale"

http://www.usshancockcv19.com/oralhi...ale_tale.shtml

<b style="color: rgb(0, 0, 128); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; text-align: -webkit-center; background-color: rgb(192, 192, 192);"><big>

</big></b>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    in Nam it was Russian Trawlers. back behind us like sharks rolling film of unreps to see what weapons are being transferred and warning the North of incoming air attacks

AGI Russian Trawler heading across the
    Bonnie Dick's Starboard Bow

you've heard of Russian roulette. that's what this fucker is doing. cutting in front of one of our carriers to force an emergency break away. in this case it was the Bonhomme Richard

Vietnam 1967 a "whale tale"

http://www.usshancockcv19.com/oralhi...ale_tale.shtml

<b style="color: rgb(0, 0, 128); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; text-align: -webkit-center; background-color: rgb(192, 192, 192);"><big>

</big></b>

namvet. Totally agree, and remember a few of those AGI's as well. Oddly enough. We also saw many of them shadowing most of our ships down around Cuba, when we were operating out of Gitmo during Refresher Training. Saw them in the Med, South Atlantic, Red Sea, and Indian Ocean too.
    Had several close calls where they intentionally crossed our bow by miles. Almost looking for trouble.
    The BEAR'S overflying our ships, and off our Coast Lines may be ODD for civilians. But most of us who served at sea sort of got used to their weekly visits...NOBODY WANTED TO TALK ABOUT.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

3. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, namvet, Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    namvet. Totally agree, and remember a few of those AGI's as well. Oddly enough. We also saw many of them shadowing most of our ships down around Cuba, when we were operating out of Gitmo during Refresher Training. Saw them in the Med, South Atlantic, Red Sea, and Indian Ocean too.
    Had several close calls where they intentionally crossed our bow by miles. Almost looking for trouble.
    The BEAR'S overflying our ships, and off our Coast Lines may be ODD for civilians. But most of us who served at sea sort of got used to their weekly visits...NOBODY WANTED TO TALK ABOUT.
    im surprised some of em didn't get plowed under. my unrep station was on the bridge manning the ship to ship phones. or CO to CO and I heard a lot of carrier CO's threaten to do just that. plow em under and let DC sort it out. most if not all CO's over there were ww2 vets and got a belly full of this crap

5. Thanks Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    im surprised some of em didn't get plowed under. my unrep station was on the bridge manning the ship to ship phones. or CO to CO and I heard a lot of carrier CO's threaten to do just that. plow em under and let DC sort it out. most if not all CO's over there were ww2 vets and got a belly full of this crap
    I spent a lot of time on the signal bridge when I wasn't on watch in radio. Had good friends up there since I was a former Signalman converted to Radioman. We'd use the BIG EYES with our resident Spook onboard, who came to take pictures, and report to D.C. via message.

Funny thing was. When we looked at those out on deck. They all looked like they wished they were somewhere else. Those ugly looking boats always looked like they needed paint....but all the Antenna's that were supposed to be FISHING GEAR? didn't fool anybody.
    I remember hearing the CO, and XO making jokes...and didn't know officers knew all the SWEAR WORDS like the rest of us.
    So, this is for them.

7. Thanks Max R., Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I spent a lot of time on the signal bridge when I wasn't on watch in radio. Had good friends up there since I was a former Signalman converted to Radioman. We'd use the BIG EYES with our resident Spook onboard, who came to take pictures, and report to D.C. via message.

Funny thing was. When we looked at those out on deck. They all looked like they wished they were somewhere else. Those ugly looking boats always looked like they needed paint....but all the Antenna's that were supposed to be FISHING GEAR? didn't fool anybody.
    I remember hearing the CO, and XO making jokes...and didn't know officers knew all the SWEAR WORDS like the rest of us.
    I was an RM to pal RM2/E-5 when I left

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Balu View Post
    Hey, you, Dick! In terms of US insignia I would have had "chickens" on my shoulder straps.
    And then, boy, I would never let anybody to speak to me in this manner. So you are the second in my ignore list.
    That what y'all Ivans wear on your shoulder straps? Oh, you wouldn't know. You'd have to earn them. One thing I hate worse than a Russian soldier is a lame-ass Russian shit-talker. At least I can respect the soldiers.

My being on an ignore list just makes you a wimp.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Thanks Max R. thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I would want to know who those "specialized sources" are that were referenced in the article. It's too easy to hide behind anonymity.
    Russian Wiki.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

12. Thanks Max R. thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Max R. View Post
    Agreed. In fact, despite the assertions and links, none corroborated the OP's statements except that a Navy ship was overflown by a Russian Su-24. Being overflown is a common occurrence. My carrier was overflown by two Soviet Ilyushin Il-38s. It's an illegal maneuver, but if harm is done, it's an act of war.
    LMAO. Did you ever have the Iranians tool out in their motor boats and shake their fists at you? We'd just stand their on the port side catwalk and flip them off.

14. Thanks Jeff, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    LMAO. Did you ever have the Iranians tool out in their motor boats and shake their fists at you? We'd just stand their on the port side catwalk and flip them off.
    Never made the Persian Gulf tour, just Okinawa/Korea/Japan with the Marine Corps and the Med with the Navy. Saw a lot of Soviet boats in the Med. Came within days of going across the "Line of Death" on a DD with three battlegroups in to back us up but that op was canceled when the Iranians began mining the shipping lanes in the Gulf.

This video was made from the prep for that Op.

16. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Max R. View Post
    Never made the Persian Gulf tour, just Okinawa/Korea/Japan with the Marine Corps and the Med with the Navy. Saw a lot of Soviet boats in the Med. Came within days of going across the "Line of Death" on a DD with three battlegroups in to back us up but that op was canceled when the Iranians began mining the shipping lanes in the Gulf.

This video was made from the prep for that Op.

Just think kitty litter box and you made the tour.

We always picked up a guided missile destroyer and a sub when we entered the Strait. Not to mention we had 4 20 mm, microwave, radar activated chain guns that once activated, could shoot anything but turn on the ship itself at close to a thousand rounds per minute.

Just like the overflight, they'd come shake their fists because they knew we wouldn't fire. Or hoped we wouldn't. We damned sure won't with this weak-ass President.

18. Thanks aboutime, Max R., Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Just think kitty litter box and you made the tour.

We always picked up a guided missile destroyer and a sub when we entered the Strait. Not to mention we had 4 20 mm, microwave, radar activated chain guns that once activated, could shoot anything but turn on the ship itself at close to a thousand rounds per minute.

Just like the overflight, they'd come shake their fists because they knew we wouldn't fire. Or hoped we wouldn't. We damned sure won't with this weak-ass President.

Gunny. Those chain guns were called CWIS (SeeWiz) Close In Weapon System. Every navy ship has them. NOISY suckers, but WELCOME and HANDY to have. The IRANIANS still haven't figured how to EVADE them without losing everything!
    The Iranian propaganda film that shows all of their Fast Boats lined up during an attack...would never show a U.S. NAVY ship defending itself using the CWIS, BECAUSE....all those fast boats would become INVISIBLE, and nothing but Scraps of junk.
    Last edited by aboutime; 06-03-2015 at 02:25 PM.
    So, this is for them.

20. Thanks Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Gunny. Those chain guns were called CWIS (SeeWiz) Close In Weapon System. Every navy ship has them. NOISY suckers, but WELCOME and HANDY to have. The IRANIANS still haven't figured how to EVADE them without losing everything!
    The Iranian propaganda film that shows all of their Fast Boats lined up during an attack...would never show a U.S. NAVY ship defending itself using the CWIS, BECAUSE....all those fast boats would become INVISIBLE, and nothing but Scraps of junk.
    Tell you waht Balu (named after a bear from the Jungle Book) ....

Go ahead and f*ck with one of our squids. Make it special and screw with a green-side Doc. You won't even know what the f*ck hit you. A US aircraft carrier has more firepower than a WWII squadron. Hell, a Bell Supercobra has more firepower than a B-17.

You're just lucky the Captain showed some superior self control and didn't put your lame-ass bird in the drink.

22. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

can you hear us now ???

24. Thanks Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, LongTermGuy, Max R. thanked this post