Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

POINTS UNKNOWN, A Century of Exploration edited by David Roberts.
    608 pages, started late last night. Will finish tomorrow.
    Very interesting book. --Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I just got this book today

So far

• Putins mother and father lived in St Petersburg (Leningrad)
    • His grandfather cooked food for Lenin and Stalin as a chef
    • On the outbreak of the war his father was sent behind enemy lines where he survived by hiding under a pond with a tube
    • Putins mother was on the verge of starvation and relied on her brother who was also in the army to provide her food to survive
    • Putins father was sent back to the front and was hit by a grenade which put shrapnel in his legs, he was then carried to the hospital in St Petersburg where he gave his food from the hospital to his wife to keep her alive.
    • After the war they moved to a small communal living block where they shared their apartment with a jewish family. His father worked in a factory making tools and was a member of the communist party.
    • Putin was generally badly behaved at school but his potential was recognized by his teachers and quickly improved his behavior
    • Putin took German language classes and learnt quickly from his teacher
    • He then had an interest towards sport especially judo which was taught to other poorer children for free at a local gym
    • As he got older he developed an interest in becoming a spy by reading watching spy books/films
    • At the age of 16 he knocked on the door of the KGB office in St Petersburg and asked if he could join, the officer said to him that the KGB came to people they wanted to recruit and he had to of had either qualifications from the university or the armed forces to be eligible to join.
    • His parents heard that he was looking to go into law at the university and they tried to persuade him not to.
    • He was let into the university and began his education

Will update!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"
    -George Orwell

Hegelian Dialectic
    Problem-Reaction-Solution

3. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christie Brinkley View Post
    I read interviews and heard interviews of Springman several times. He brings to light some KEY information on the U.S. Connections with AQ terrorist (freedom fighters) before 9-11.

I've read similar books I've found that the details show that it's often worse than portrayed in shorter articles. Is that the case here?
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

5. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    I read interviews and heard interviews of Springman several times. He brings to light some KEY information on the U.S. Connections with AQ terrorist (freedom fighters) before 9-11.

I've read similar books I've found that the details show that it's often worse than portrayed in shorter articles. Is that the case here?
    It is just like all books like the Putin book I am reading now. I am shocked how frankly Henry Kissinger spoke to Putin in the mid 90's about eastern europe and the USSR.

Have the book in front of me-

This is Putin speaking while in a car after picking Kissinger up form the airport in St Petersburg "he was an inquisitive old fellow. He looks like he is nodding off to sleep, but in fact he sees and hears everything".
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"
    -George Orwell

Hegelian Dialectic

7. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

It is just like all books like the Putin book I am reading now. I am shocked how frankly Henry Kissinger spoke to Putin in the mid 90's about eastern europe and the USSR.

Have the book in front of me-

This is Putin speaking while in a car after picking Kissinger up form the airport in St Petersburg "he was an inquisitive old fellow. He looks like he is nodding off to sleep, but in fact he sees and hears everything".
    Unlike advisers to the asshole obama NOW, Kissinger was and is the real deal--a genius and
    instrumental in helping this nation for many decades!--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Unlike advisers to the asshole obama NOW, Kissinger was and is the real deal--a genius and
    instrumental in helping this nation for many decades!--Tyr
    Kissinger is , if a genius, a dark genius.
    war criminal, and international scumbag.
    He's helped his cronies but there are plenty of dead americans and american soldiers because of him.
    Last edited by revelarts; 10-17-2015 at 12:38 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

10. Thanks Christie Brinkley thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Kissinger was probably trying to get his slimy tail in the door after the USSR fell by making connections.
    -George Orwell

Hegelian Dialectic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

"Dead Wake," which is about the sinking of the American passenger ship Lusitania. More than a thousand folks lost their lives. Pretty cynical move by the Brits not to protect her, in hopes of drawing the U.S. into WWI.

13. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    "Dead Wake," which is about the sinking of the American passenger ship Lusitania. More than a thousand folks lost their lives. Pretty cynical move by the Brits not to protect her, in hopes of drawing the U.S. into WWI.

We were considering that for our book club. But settled on "The Martian", instead.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    We were considering that for our book club. But settled on "The Martian", instead.
    Top choice, 10/10.
    The movie ain't half bad either.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

16. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I just got this book today

So far

• Putins mother and father lived in St Petersburg (Leningrad)
    • His grandfather cooked food for Lenin and Stalin as a chef
    • On the outbreak of the war his father was sent behind enemy lines where he survived by hiding under a pond with a tube
    • Putins mother was on the verge of starvation and relied on her brother who was also in the army to provide her food to survive
    • Putins father was sent back to the front and was hit by a grenade which put shrapnel in his legs, he was then carried to the hospital in St Petersburg where he gave his food from the hospital to his wife to keep her alive.
    • After the war they moved to a small communal living block where they shared their apartment with a jewish family. His father worked in a factory making tools and was a member of the communist party.
    • Putin was generally badly behaved at school but his potential was recognized by his teachers and quickly improved his behavior
    • Putin took German language classes and learnt quickly from his teacher
    • He then had an interest towards sport especially judo which was taught to other poorer children for free at a local gym
    • As he got older he developed an interest in becoming a spy by reading watching spy books/films
    • At the age of 16 he knocked on the door of the KGB office in St Petersburg and asked if he could join, the officer said to him that the KGB came to people they wanted to recruit and he had to of had either qualifications from the university or the armed forces to be eligible to join.
    • His parents heard that he was looking to go into law at the university and they tried to persuade him not to.
    • He was let into the university and began his education

Will update!
    Finished the book 2 days ago, great read for anyone who wants to know more about Putin.

Funny story is when Putin's house burnt down while he was in a sauna, he had to climb down from a balcony to escape the flames with only his towel on... and you guessed it the towel blew off while all of his neighbors were watching him!

Good news is no one was hurt and they got compensation from the sauna company to build a new house.
    -George Orwell

Hegelian Dialectic

18. Likes revelarts liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I am going to be reading
    The Silencing: How the Left is Killing Free Speech by Kirsten Powers, an unabashed lefty. She is an intelligent lefty, that most of the time tells it how it is.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PixieStix; 10-26-2015 at 03:11 AM.
    We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people. ~Theodore Roosevelt~

20. Thanks Perianne, Christie Brinkley, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Loving this book:

From Publishers Weekly

King's historical account of the four years Michelangelo Buonarroti spent frescoing the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in Rome is splendid, thorough and detailed. But its larger appeal lies in the way King (Brunelleschi's Dome) brings out the story's human elements. Listeners learn of Michelangelo's bitter disappointment when a project he was eagerly looking forward to (the construction of the Pope's tomb) was cancelled and that he had little experience with the art of fresco and was reluctant to take on the Sistine Chapel. King explains the craft of frescoing with involving details: for example, fresco dries quickly, so the artist could work only in small sections, and if a mistake was found after the paint dried, the whole day's work had to be chipped away and redone. Listeners also learn of Michelangelo's financial woes and family problems and the political upheavals of the time.

-Abbey

22. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Tolkien's "Book of Unfinished Tales". Edited by his son Christopher following JRRT's death. It helps
    weave the links to some of the more popular works such as "The Hobbit", "Lord of The Rings" trilogy, and
    even "The Silmarillion" - which is the master work.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

24. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Boys in the Trees, Carly Simon's autobiography.

-Abbey