Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    Watched the Ken Burns documentary last year. Pretty amazing stories. Big time solider heroes. Big time military strategy screw ups. I got to visit vietnam a few years ago. Crawled through the tunnels. Crazy stuff.
    The weren't military screw ups. They were decisions made by politicians ... namely LBJ listening to his talking head McNamara. Once Truman made war a political thing instead of letting military people run them, we started losing. When we got to run the sh*t, Nazi Germany went down. When politicians and the media started running crap, we supposedly lost and never even knew it.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    The weren't military screw ups. They were decisions made by politicians ... namely LBJ listening to his talking head McNamara. Once Truman made war a political thing instead of letting military people run them, we started losing. When we got to run the sh*t, Nazi Germany went down. When politicians and the media started running crap, we supposedly lost and never even knew it.
    Did the nazis use guerrilla tactics and build their infrastructure completely underground? We went for body count instead of controlling land. We'd spend weeks capturing a hill with hundreds of soldiers dead. Then leave and the viet cong would take it right back. That is not military stupidity?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Watched the Ken Burns documentary last year. Pretty amazing stories. Big time solider heroes. Big time military strategy screw ups. I got to visit vietnam a few years ago. Crawled through the tunnels. Crazy stuff.

You should read the book, Platoon. Even if you've seen the movie.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

5. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Did the nazis use guerrilla tactics and build their infrastructure completely underground? We went for body count instead of controlling land. We'd spend weeks capturing a hill with hundreds of soldiers dead. Then leave and the viet cong would take it right back. That is not military stupidity?
    McNamara came up with the whole "war of attrition" (i.e., "body count" stuff) as a way to measure progress...and yeah, it was just stupid. The idea of "controlling land" (took more than one objective only to give it back) is just as dumb. Take away the enemies WILL and MEANS TO FIGHT is a better way to go. Bombing Hanoi could have helped militarily but the politicians were too afraid of the Chinese and Russians. Compound that with the corruption in the South Vietnamese government (and yes, it was US politicians and defense contractors that provided the money) and it was a real mess. It is really a travesty that so many young men had to pay for it with life and limb.

As a side note, I think if we do a bit of research, we will find that some Nazi's did indeed use guerrilla tactics even long after the war was declared over. Also, the NVA's and Viet Cong didn't build their entire infrastructure underground ... I should know, I targeted enough of that stuff.

Further, the media and natal liberal movement did much to undermine any military progress that was made. I firmly believe that the Vietnam era is when "reporting the news" turned into "editorial journalism" which grew into the "political activism" the media practices as a matter of course these days.

And yes, I still hate Jane Fonda to this day....
    Last edited by CSM; 04-20-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    You should read the book, Platoon. Even if you've seen the movie.
    Yeah it's a good one! Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now too!

My fav nam book is Matterhorn.

8. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Not so nice swerve. Are the Iranians building a bomb using guerilla tactics? Nope. They're doing it right in front of our faces because Delusional Leader is allowing it. You want to argue the Vietnam War with someone, I suggest not me.

I'm well aware of the strategy and tactics used. No one was allowed to do a damned thing without Presidential approval and Johnson was a tomato farmer from just north of where I'm from who hired illegals to pick them.

And I'm a retired Gunnery Sergeant. I don't care about your political BS. You send me in, let me win. I didn't sign up to play all these stupid little games. No vet has. I'd have flipped China off and bombed right up to their border. Our militarily had the NVA defeated. Why do you think it took them 5 years to finally invade S Vietnam? We kicked their asses so bad at Tet 68 it completely destroyed the VC and wiped out half the NVA. Then along comes Walter. "Wah. We can't win". Pussy.

Then there were were all the wimps back here in the world crying like bitches about having to actually do anything. "Oh, I might have to risk my life for my country". Whiny fucks. We wouldn't have a damned country if people hadn't fought for it.

Then you bring these people home, dump them in WWII barracks and call them cared for by the VA? These people served YOU. And you throw them in the trash when they are no longer useful? I got two words for ya' bubba ....
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Thanks Kathianne, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default No surprise....

Truth is. Obama's Pentagon YES MEN-WOMEN have seen to getting rid of over 500 FLAG OFFICERS (experienced men, and women) from the Defense Department.

All by design of the COWARD, so-called Leaders who fear more for their pensions in uniform, than the safety of this nation. Obama has all but Destroyed most of our military might, and capabilities by keeping the WUSSIES who kiss-ass where Obama wants them...with the blessings of the MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD...sponsored by groups like ISIS, TALIBAN, HAMAS....just familiar names.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

12. Thanks Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I came home with a whole new attitude about war and politicians. when I heard the final body count I wanted to beat the living shit out of someone. 58,000 young men systematically murdered

14. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, jimnyc, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Truth is. Obama's Pentagon YES MEN-WOMEN have seen to getting rid of over 500 FLAG OFFICERS (experienced men, and women) from the Defense Department.

All by design of the COWARD, so-called Leaders who fear more for their pensions in uniform, than the safety of this nation. Obama has all but Destroyed most of our military might, and capabilities by keeping the WUSSIES who kiss-ass where Obama wants them...with the blessings of the MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD...sponsored by groups like ISIS, TALIBAN, HAMAS....just familiar names.
    Agree completely. Kiss-ass staff officers are useless and more politician than military and they just want that retirement check and a political afterlife. My "reward" for a successful tour on the drill field was HQMC. Should have just sent me to Hell instead. I'd rather be deployed. I never have seen more fraud, waste and abuse in my life as goes on inside the Ring Around the Congo.

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    I came home with a whole new attitude about war and politicians. when I heard the final body count I wanted to beat the living shit out of someone. 58,000 young men systematically murdered
    I feel the same now. Should see Brooke Army Medical Center on Ft Sam in San Antonio. It's appalling. All those boys shot to shit so O-bigmouth can give it away. What a fucking waste.

16. Thanks namvet, CSM, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Body count was McNamara. That's what he used to justify we were "winning". You can call it military stupidity if you want to, but we aren't the stupid ones. It's the politicians YOU put in office. We don't make policy. We carry it out. And you have just zero idea the creativity we have to come up with to make the dumbest civilian shit work.

We aren't the stupid ones. You leave this up to us? Your ass is going down and in a rapid fashion.

18. Thanks Kathianne, Black Diamond, CSM, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Body count was McNamara. That's what he used to justify we were "winning". You can call it military stupidity if you want to, but we aren't the stupid ones. It's the politicians YOU put in office. We don't make policy. We carry it out. And you have just zero idea the creativity we have to come up with to make the dumbest civilian shit work.

We aren't the stupid ones. You leave this up to us? Your ass is going down and in a rapid fashion.
    libtards even today call me a baby killer and claim i have PSTD ah PDST well shit you know

they still think im a reeeeeeal dangerous man

20. Thanks Gunny, Abbey Marie, CSM, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    libtards even today call me a baby killer and claim i have PSTD ah PDST well shit you know

they still think im a reeeeeeal dangerous man
    Oh brother. Do I EVER know THAT one. You've got PTSD. Ever occur to you I might just be an a-hole? I realize I have some issues but do you got wave a damned flag in my face about it? Why don't you feel free to remind my ass at every turn because I'm not doing WTF you want?

"You're too violent and you're waking me up." Well, fuck, let me put on my Mr Happy outfit and I'll just drop right to sleep. Fuck, I sleep with one of my eyes half open.

And if you don't see the military/drill instructor sarcasm in THAT, you ain't been in.

22. Thanks namvet, CSM, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

24. Thanks Gunny, aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

I find it amazing how inconvenient we become once broken. And fastroping from a 46 onto a moving carrier deck? Gee, wonder how his knees got broken?

Running in those Vietnam era boots with a pack, flak and rifle? Might as well let us run barefoot.

BTW ... I might not be a Vietnam era vet, but I got all y'all's damned hand me downs. Shitty everything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I find it amazing how inconvenient we become once broken. And fastroping from a 46 onto a moving carrier deck? Gee, wonder how his knees got broken?

Running in those Vietnam era boots with a pack, flak and rifle? Might as well let us run barefoot.

BTW ... I might not be a Vietnam era vet, but I got all y'all's damned hand me downs. Shitty everything.

The guide for this trip asked the Marines to rush this dune to get an idea of what the Marines who took Iwo Jima faced upon landing. Every step you take up, you slide down and into the dune. You have to work hard to get to the top. Imagine doing that with 100 lbs on your back while being shot at and artillery raining down on you.
    Photo courtesy of Col Warren Wiedhahn USMC(Ret)