Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Default Best Live Peformance

Criteria: More than a one song performance.
    Entire concert performance acceptable.
    That is all...

I was cruising videos on you tube and stumbled across something I had nearly forgotten about:1985's Live Aid. Specifically, Queen's performance. It was, in a word, amazing. They stole the show from the likes of The Who ad Led Zeppelin. Some people consider it THE BEST LIVE PERFORMANCE ever. It's hard to argue otherwise. The band hadn't played together in a while... in fighting, not feeling relevant, the usual band stuff... Bu according to the story, they were the only band that took the time to rehearse. They took it seriously. It shows.

And the crowd? Well, just watch the 72,000 that filled Wembley Stadium. They say the 100,000 at JFK Stadium in Philly did the same thing...

Pay special attention to the crowd during Radio Ga Ga (2:42)

Freddie Mercury was as queer as a three dollar bill, but he had the best voice in Rock and Roll. Ever...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

2. Thanks revelarts, jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

"I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

I have to say Queen did put on a powerful show.
    definitely worthy of being put in a tops category.

hard to think of Others that fit that high, but there are a lot of great performers and performances.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking of a few Concerts by James Brown, and some by Tina Turner.
    Janice Joplin comes to mind as well as the Doors for believe it or not. As far as gripping amazing performances.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I gotta agree about Queen and Mercury as well.

But my favorite vote? Dream Theater! Great rock band, all educated in music, and awesome live! (if anyone listens, you may appreciate to FF and find some slower songs, they're great!!) (25:00 mark for one of their best songs!

6. Thanks hjmick thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Hendrix machine gun from band of gypsies.

And of course his Woodstock medley.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    I have to say Queen did put on a powerful show.
    definitely worthy of being put in a tops category.

hard to think of Others that fit that high, but there are a lot of great performers and performances.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking of a few Concerts by James Brown, and some by Tina Turner.
    Janice Joplin comes to mind as well as the Doors for believe it or not. As far as gripping amazing performances.
    Light my fire including graveyard poem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Another, Iron Maiden - absolutely awesome live!! And if not jamming, lead singer Bruce Dickinson "drives" him and his bandmates between venues in this, as he's also a pilot!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Here is a list I stumbled upon while checking out the Queen video:

The one I found most intriguing was Metallica and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

Depends on what "best" means. I don't like Keith Urban, but he can put on a show. If there's an instrument he can't play. I want to know what it is. That dude is so musically talented you want to kill him.

Worst? Montgomery Gentry. Most of their music is Lynyrd Skynyrd covers.

My favorite's Reba. I'd declare war against the US for her. And I'd win. I've had a crush on her since I was a teenager.

And I've seen all of them live. Used to go to the San Antonio Stockshow and Rodeo every year.

Alan Jackson is totally cool. Got his autograph. Got a Brooks and Dunn tee-shirt. Almost hit me in the head. They'd fire them into the crowd from a potato gun or some crap. I was drunk as Hell. Sucks when 2 t shirts are heading for your face and you got to figure out which one is real.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

1976 BICENTENNIAL CONCERT , MEMPHIS TENNESSEE.
    Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZTOPS, Blue Oyster Cult, the opening act(I forget their name , was also great)...
    I took my new girlfriend and had a blast...
    Show started at 2pm if memory serves me well and went until 1 am next morn..
    Skynyrd made the show but ZZTOPS ripped big time..
    I was 24 years old , recently divorced, wilder than hell and with a stone cold fox that
    could have easily been in Playboy magazine..
    Hell, if not for her drug addiction I'd most likely have married that gal..

That concert beat any I've ever been to.
    And that gal had a face and body to die for..
    I HEARD ABOUT 8/9 YEARS LATER THAT SHE BECAME A STRIPPER IN SOME CLUB IN FLORIDA..
    THATS AFTER HER DRUG ADDICTION HAD HIT FULL BLOOM AND SHE NEEDED THE EXTRA MULLA TO FEED IT..

MY YOUNGER BROTHER TOLD ME THAT SHE WAS STILL ALIVE BACK IN 2006 BUT HER INCREDIBLE BEAUTY HAD ABANDONED HER.
    Life giveth and taketh away ..
    Damn she was a rare gem--destroyed by drugs........-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Depends on what "best" means. I don't like Keith Urban, but he can put on a show. If there's an instrument he can't play. I want to know what it is. That dude is so musically talented you want to kill him.

My favorite's Reba. I'd declare war against the US for her. And I'd win. I've had a crush on her since I was a teenager.

And I've seen all of them live. Used to go to the San Antonio Stockshow and Rodeo every year.

Alan Jackson is totally cool. Got his autograph. Got a Brooks and Dunn tee-shirt. Almost hit me in the head. They'd fire them into the crowd from a potato gun or some crap. I was drunk as Hell. Sucks when 2 t shirts are heading for your face and you got to figure out which one is real.

Robert Earl Keen puts on a good show.

Of course, so does Jimmy... well... he puts on a great show.

14. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

boot scootin' boogie?

no one should cover skynyrd. including the current "version" of skynyrd.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    boot scootin' boogie?

no one should cover skynyrd. including the current "version" of skynyrd.
    I don't look at it that way. I agree these wannabe's shouldn't try. But family? They do some songs better than the original. Simple Man and Coming Home they definitely do better.

Freebird? Eh. The technology is so much different now. Hell, I can play Freebird.

I just thought Montgomery Gentry sucked. Honest opinion. 3/4 of their show is covering other peoples' music. They played a bunch of Southern rock. I wasn't impressed.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I've gotten mellow in my old age. For purely instrumental talent live on stage I have to go with Jesse Cook. I've seen him 3 times with my daughter.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ