View Poll Results: Did the Biblical Flood Really Occur?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the whole Earth was covered for 40 days and 40 nights.

8 47.06%
  • No.

3 17.65%
  • No, but a more localized flood did occur and the story was passed down through oral tradition.

6 35.29%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Poll: Did the Biblical Flood really occur?

I think that it did occur (naturally since this story is represented in some form in many of the cultures in and around central Asia and the Middle East) but I think it was much more local than the Bible describes. Also, there isn't any evidence in the global geological record of a worldwide flood. There's a theory that this actually occured in the area around the Black Sea and was due to a glacial dam that broke and released a massive amount of water into the surrounding areas. This also explains the brackish water table under the salt water on the Black Sea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Cannot answer - because NO answer lines up biblically.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default .............

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    That's because the bible is wrong!

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did it not rain for 40 days and 40 nights in the Bible version?
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    Did it not rain for 40 days and 40 nights in the Bible version?
    Indeed - but the flood lasted much longer...that is to say, it took a long time for the water to go down.

And it's not accurate to say there isn't any evidence of a world-wide flood. It'd be MORE accurate for you to say, "I don't believe any of the evidence suggesting a world-wide flood."
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Indeed - but the flood lasted much longer...that is to say, it took a long time for the water to go down.

And it's not accurate to say there isn't any evidence of a world-wide flood. It'd be MORE accurate for you to say, "I don't believe any of the evidence suggesting a world-wide flood."
    If you're referring to the Grand Canyon drain hypothesis, you've gone off the deep end.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ...............

If you're referring to the Grand Canyon drain hypothesis, you've gone off the deep end.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

No, I'm saying two things:

First - You REALLY COULDN'T GIVE TWO RATS' ASSESS about seeing evidence supporting a world-wide flood as having happened.

Secondly - This thread is Merely a thinly-veiled attempt for ad hominem and baiting of believers of this board.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nevadamedic View Post
    You ever do anything but pat others on the back for your thinly veiled liberal beliefs and start needless threads?

Also the clock is still ticking until string pulling time........a public apology will stop the clock.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First - You REALLY COULDN'T GIVE TWO RATS' ASSESS about seeing evidence supporting a world-wide flood as having happened.

Secondly - This thread is Merely a thinly-veiled attempt for ad hominem and baiting of believers of this board.
    No it isn't, I just wanted to see where everyone here stood. And again I notice a lack of evidence to support your position. Where is all this evidence dmp? Is it secret evidence?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

No it isn't, I just wanted to see where everyone here stood. And again I notice a lack of evidence to support your position. Where is all this evidence dmp? Is it secret evidence?
    Will you stop the Ad hominem and have an adult-level discussion?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Last edited by Hagbard Celine; 06-27-2007 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would be even more accurate to say that there isn't much, if any, credible evidence of a global flood. On the contrary, the existence of all of the other races, languages, alphabets, architecture, and religions is very strong evidence against the notion of a global flood and an ark.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    It would be even more accurate to say that there isn't much, if any, credible evidence of a global flood. On the contrary, the existence of all of the other races, languages, alphabets, architecture, and religions is very strong evidence against the notion of a global flood and an ark.
    I think it's MOST accurate to say there is a good-amount of CREDIBLE evidence of a global flood.

(shrug) - the difference is, when you see evidence with which you disagree, you call it 'not credible'.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I don't happen to think this attack on the OP writer's motives is fair. We've been talking about similar issues in other threads and this is simply a continuation. I'll give Hag the benefit of doubt that his stated reason lines up with his true motives.

I hate it when people assume my motives are something that they are not, and I'll defend anyone who's been civil even if I disagree with them most of the time.

BTW I voted "localized", as this is supported by the geological record, ancedotal evidence, and can be explained by reading the biblical text in its intended context.