Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Sen. Lindsey Graham: Cruz Would 'Fill the Bill' in Replacing Scalia

Sen. Lindsey Graham: Cruz Would 'Fill the Bill' in Replacing Scalia

If President-elect Donald Trump wants to fill the vacancy in the Supreme Court with a justice like the late Antonin Scalia, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz would "fill the bill," Sen. Lindsey Graham said Thursday, making the suggestion even though the two fiery senators have had major disagreements over the years.

"Because you disagree with somebody doesn't mean you take your disagreements to the point that you can't recognize reality," the South Carolina Republican told CNN Thursday. "Nobody can tell me Ted Cruz is not a constitutionally gifted, talented lawyer, because he is."

Graham admitted he's been "at times" one of Cruz' worst critics, but insisted Thursday that "We do have areas of agreement."

Earlier this year, after he'd dropped his own bid for the GOP nomination, Graham stunned reporters by commenting his party had gone "bats--t crazy," and saying that Cruz was so disliked, "if you kill Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate, and the trial is at the Senate, no one will convict you."

Rest here - http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/lind.../17/id/759452/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

If President-elect Donald Trump wants to fill the vacancy in the Supreme Court with a justice like the late Antonin Scalia, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz would "fill the bill," Sen. Lindsey Graham said Thursday...
    Please tell me that this is not serious.

I doubt Cruz wants to be on the Supreme Court. He still has higher political aspirations. Namely opposing Trump in four years.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I think Cruz wants to do more before considering a SCOTUS position. He's young.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Exactly my thinking. Cruz still wants to be president. I believe he is going to run again in 2020.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Agreed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I don't know... a SCOTUS Justice is a pretty respectable position and he knows that he can do a world of good there for the country.

He'd be a wonderful replacement and I'm sure just the thought of him joining will make Ginsburg lose what's left of her mind. It would be a TwoFer.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

7. Thanks Black Diamond, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I don't know... a SCOTUS Justice is a pretty respectable position and he knows that he can do a world of good there for the country.

He'd be a wonderful replacement and I'm sure just the thought of him joining will make Ginsburg lose what's left of her mind. It would be a TwoFer.
    True for much of it, but it's a lifetime appointment and I think he has too many other things he wants to scratch off before thinking of something like this. I may be wrong, but think he already said quite awhile ago that it wasn't something he was interested in. I don't think he really thought he'd be under any consideration in this administration. It may be he's not, but if there's no 'gotcha' down the line, Trump comes out looking like a good leader, leaving the past behind.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

9. Thanks NightTrain, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Cruz can't sit still the rest of his life.

11. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Cruz can't sit still the rest of his life.
    Well, there's a lot of lifelong Senators still around and that's an achievement in and of itself.

If Trump manages to get term limits passed, which I think there's about a zero percent chance of doing since the affected would have to vote for it, then that might sweeten the deal for Cruz.

13. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Please tell me that this is not serious.

I doubt Cruz wants to be on the Supreme Court. He still has higher political aspirations. Namely opposing Trump in four years.
    And yet he would qualify if he wanted the position, and there wouldn't be jack shit the dems can do about it. Quite frankly, I'm anticipating him nominating one of the 20 he showed during the primaries, which are all great looking conservatives IMO, and that person WILL pass and then put the court back in the favor of the right. And with any luck, another won't be too awfully far behind.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

15. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

If President-elect Donald Trump wants to fill the vacancy in the Supreme Court with a justice like the late Antonin Scalia, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz would "fill the bill," Sen. Lindsey Graham said Thursday, making the suggestion even though the two fiery senators have had major disagreements over the years.

"Because you disagree with somebody doesn't mean you take your disagreements to the point that you can't recognize reality," the South Carolina Republican told CNN Thursday. "Nobody can tell me Ted Cruz is not a constitutionally gifted, talented lawyer, because he is."

Graham admitted he's been "at times" one of Cruz' worst critics, but insisted Thursday that "We do have areas of agreement."

Earlier this year, after he'd dropped his own bid for the GOP nomination, Graham stunned reporters by commenting his party had gone "bats--t crazy," and saying that Cruz was so disliked, "if you kill Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate, and the trial is at the Senate, no one will convict you."

Rest here - http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/lind.../17/id/759452/
    Those "Contract with America" RINO losers need to go.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

17. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Cruz appears to like the idea of appointment to SCOTUS :

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) is not ruling out the possibility of filling the Supreme Court’s open seat.

Asked Friday at a National Lawyers Convention event whether he’d accept a high court nomination, Cruz responded: “What I will say is that history is long and can take unexpected paths.”

“I think it is absolutely vital that that seat and every other seat that comes vacant on the court be filled principle constitutionalists who will be faithful to the law and will check their own policy preferences at the door,” he added.
    http://hotair.com/archives/2016/11/1...s-appointment/

19. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Cruz appears to like the idea of appointment to SCOTUS :

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/11/1...s-appointment/
    I saw that too, wondering if he is having a change of heart? We'll see though if any of these 'floats' actually are anything at all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I'd rather be on the SC than be Prez. Powerful position where I don't need to ever campaign again.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

22. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I'd rather be on the SC than be Prez. Powerful position where I don't need to ever campaign again.
    I've always held that a lifetime appointment as a Supreme Court justice equaled if not exceeded a term as the President.
    Especially to one that is a true Constitutional scholar and dedicated to the preservation of this great nation.
    Were it my choice to make, I'd happily chose the lifetime appointment and be a very strict Constitutionalist that opposed the political activist leftist justices now infecting that body..-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.