Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

This came from an article I was just reading about Jared Kushner and potentially getting a gig in the White House. I believe the first portion I posted shows how Ivanka can easily be in the White House 100% legally.

But, as to the 2nd portion, I don't agree with "wiggling" and going around law and precedent set. She shouldn't be in a position where she determines law, nor a position as Rev stated where she is proposing legislation.

I would be fine with an advisory role to the POTUS working in the WH.

-----

Past examples:

It would hardly be the first time a president has run into issues with nepotism in the White House.

John F. Kennedy picked his brother, Robert Kennedy, as his attorney general, though the current anti-nepotism statute wasn’t passed until 1967 -- four years after JFK was assassinated.

Former President Jimmy Carter also reportedly had a brush with the statute when he was prevented from hiring his son as a White House intern.

The most notable recent example, however, was in 1993, when Bill Clinton appointed First Lady Hillary Clinton as the chair of the president’s Task Force on National Health Care Reform, sparking a lawsuit in DC federal court.

A lobbying group at the time, known as the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, alleged that Hillary Clinton was acting outside her non-governmental role, and thus both were in violation of anti-nepotism laws.

The court's ruling was that the White House and Executive Office of the President were not agencies under federal anti-nepotism law. Multiple law experts contacted by ABC News believe this made way for the incoming president to potentially have leeway to appoint relatives to advisory positions in the White House.

-----

Due to the 1993 ruling, legal experts say Trump's wiggle room would be if he does not pay Kushner a salary, and appoints him to an advisory board that doesn't fall under a specific government agency.

"I think it clearly violates the intent of the law," said University of Minnesota law professor Richard Painter, who served as a Chief White House Ethics Lawyer from 2005-2007. "But there are arguments that could be used to try and wiggle around it if you were making an appointment in the White House."

Washington University of St. Louis law professor Kathleen Clark said Kushner would very likely still have to sign a non-disclosure agreement and another agreement not to trade on any sensitive information made available to him due to his access to the president.

There would be no technical restrictions on Trump keeping Kushner close as an informal adviser with no official role. And hiring Kushner as a "government contractor" could separate him entirely from the reach of the anti-nepotism statute, the experts argued.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/nepot...ry?id=43619177
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimnyc
    What's to stop someone like her from chatting up various politicians and having folks on speed dial, even as a regular citizen?...

Jim, of course you're entitled to your opinion but i suspect if Obama's half brother and other family became naturalized citizens and began chatting up congress and advising Obama from space in the White House, suggesting new regulations/legislations (as Ivanka is doing)/
    That you and other's that are carefree about Ivanka would have more a problems with Presidential Family Influencing U.S. gov't ...as a matter of principal of course.

...Sarah Chamberlain, the president and CEO of the center-right organization Republican Main Street Partnership, told Independent Journal Review that Ivanka Trump has been calling Republican members of Congress since her father’s victory last month.“She’s calling some to talk about the child care provisions,” Chamberlain said. “It’s gonna be a big issue for her.”…
    “I think she’s hoping to [play a large role in the administration]. It did come out she’s gonna have an office in the East Wing and actually I think she’s gonna be a great addition. I think she was a huge help in getting her father elected.”
    In case you’ve forgotten, Trump’s Ivanka-crafted child-care plan caused a ripple among the three conservatives left in the party when he announced it in September, as it guarantees six weeks of paid maternity leave for new mothers. Under the plan, if your employer won’t cover the cost of that, Uncle Sam will. The expense to taxpayers will, supposedly, be offset by eliminating fraud from the federal unemployment insurance program, but ridding programs of “waste, fraud, and abuse” is a classic lip-service panacea for new federal spending....
    http://hotair.com/archives/2016/12/1...ld-care-plans/

yes creating legislation and policy
    Last edited by revelarts; 12-19-2016 at 08:57 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    Jim, of course you're entitled to your opinion but i suspect if Obama's half brother and other family became naturalized citizens and began chatting up congress and advising Obama from space in the White House, suggesting new regulations/legislations (as Ivanka is doing)/
    That you and other's that are carefree about Ivanka would have more a problems with Presidential Family Influencing U.S. gov't ...as a matter of principal of course.
    No one has been carefree. I clearly stated that I thought it needed to pass muster with Trump's counsel, and stated I don't think she should be making legislation and what not. I want whatever decisions they make pertaining to Ivanka to be be legal. That's not care free.

Chelsea Clinton has had access to and has dealt with a shitload of folks in congress. Big deal, I couldn't care less. It won't be the first time that family has had easier access to politicians, nor the last.

yes creating legislation and policy
    Well, the childcare stuff wouldn't be the first time someone of the "female" persuasion in the WH has gotten involved with. But I don't think she should have her hands/name on anything to do in congress.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock