Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default 1000 honor killings per year

And that amount is in Pakistan alone. Yes, the article is 2 years old, but nothing has changed. Some will have you believe that this rarely happens (gabby), but as you can see, in just this one country it is normal. I know this has been discussed before, but it still pisses me off every time I read it. And sure, now that they publicly toss stones at their family member, until that person is swollen, bruised and bones broken to death - now honor is restored to the family.

-----

In Pakistan, 1,000 women die in ‘honor killings’ annually. Why is this happening?

On Tuesday, a pregnant 25-year-old woman was stoned to death by her family for marrying a man she loved.

The stoning took place in the middle of the day, outside a courthouse, beside a busy thoroughfare. The woman and her husband had been “in love,” her husband said, and they’d gone to a courthouse to sign the paperwork. Outside, the woman’s father, brothers and extended family waited. When the couple emerged, the family reportedly tried to snatch her, then murdered her.

“I killed my daughter as she had insulted all of our family by marrying a man without our consent, and I have no regret over it,” her father told police, adding that it had been an “honor killing.”

The anecdote is horrifying. But even more horrifying is the regularity with which honor killings and stonings occur in Pakistan. Despite creeping modernity, secular condemnation and the fact there’s no reference to stoning in the Koran, honor killings claim the lives of more than 1,000 Pakistani women every year, according to a Pakistani rights group.

They have widespread appeal. Eighty-three percent of Pakistanis support stonings for adultery according to a Pew survey, and only 8 percent oppose it. Even those who chose modernity over Islamic fundamentalism overwhelmingly favor stonings, according to Pew research.

It’s the year 2014. Why is this still happening?

Some Islamic fundamentalists think that only through the murder of an offending family member can honor be restored to the rest of the family. Honor killings predominantly affect women — 943 women were killed under such circumstances in 2011 and another 869 in 2013, though not all of them were stoned. Some were just gunned down in cold blood.

Rest here - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a646697099a9
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Kathianne, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I know I'm not supposed to, and I really try, but it's very hard not wish very bad things on these filthy animals.

Oh wait, that is insulting to animals.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

4. Thanks jimnyc, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I know I'm not supposed to, and I really try, but it's very hard not wish very bad things on these filthy animals.

Can you imagine threads like this if it were about catholics? Yikes. Now imagine if it were even about just one catholic honor killing.

But 1000 dead in one year, done by muslims? Too many out there simply don't give a crap.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Can you imagine threads like this if it were about catholics? Yikes. Now imagine if it were even about just one catholic honor killing.

But 1000 dead in one year, done by muslims? Too many out there simply don't give a crap.

I always think about the silence from our feminist sisters.

And Bully, does he care? I don't recall seeing any outrage from him.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

8. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I always think about the silence from our feminist sisters.

And Bully, does he care? I don't recall seeing any outrage from him.
    You won't see a hell of a lot of outrage from liberals on this issue, and I'm unsure as to why, because this shouldn't have anything to do with political affiliation.

But let it be about catholics, and denying a cake - you will get 500000000000000000000000% more anger and involvement from them.

10. Thanks Abbey Marie, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

They are evil incarnate, living darkness amidst this ocean of sheep.
    Protected by powerful allies, dem party, president and TRULY INSANE LIBERAL MEDIA!
    As such you are not supposed to wish them well my friend.
    As evil is never to be coddled r embraced by Christians.
    Jesus in the Temple ran the wicked out and it wasn't by talking to them!
    HE USED FORCE IN HIS RIGHTEOUS RAGE AGAINST SUCH EVIL!--TYR
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

12. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post