Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

"Over what? Syria? Screw the place. Let Russia keep the dirthole." G #164

Sensible.

BUT !!

I don't think it was ever about who gets to keep the dirthole.

Wasn't it rather more about common human decency?
    "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return." U.S. Secretary Colin Powell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Russian Defense Ministry to suspend communications hotline with Pentagon as of April 8

Military & Defense
    April 07, 20:58 UTC+3
    The US military attache in Moscow was summoned to the Defense Ministry to get an official note, according to the ministry's spokesman

Defense Ministry's official spokesman Igor Konashenkov

© Anton Novoderezhkin/TASS

Read also

US still seeks dialogue with Russia on flight safety over Syria — Pentagon

MOSCOW, April 7. /TASS/. Russian Defense Ministry suspends as of April 8 the operations of a communications hotline with the Pentagon, which the two sides established in line with a memorandum of understanding on prevention of incidents and ensuring of flight safety in Syrian airspace, Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov, the Defense Ministry's official spokesman told reporters on Friday.
    "About an hour ago, the US military attache in Moscow was summoned to the Defense Ministry to get an official note, which said the Russian side was suspending as of 00:00 hours on April 8 the observance of its obligations under the memorandum of understanding on prevention of incidents and ensuring of flight safety in the course of operation in the Syrian Arab Republic," he said.
    Gen. Konashenkov refuted US media reports claiming Russia had decided to keep the hotline open.
    He said the Defense Ministry had sent an appropriate notification to the Pentagon via military diplomatic channels earlier on Friday.
    Reports on the ministry’s plans to suspend contacts in the format of the memorandum emerged on Friday afternoon. The Russian side had to make the step after the U.S. had delivered a strike with Tomahawk missiles at an airbase of the Syrian Air Force in Shayrat.
    The sides designed the memorandum in October 2015. It spells out a set of rules and restrictions aiming to prevent incidents between Russian and U.S. aircraft in the skies over Syria.
    The two countries maintained round-the-clock operative communications and specified a mechanism of mutual contacts inclusive of mutual assistance and aid in critical situations.

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/940208
    Indifferent alike to praise or blame
    Give heed, O Muse, but to the voice Divine
    Fearing not injury, nor seeking fame,
    Nor casting pearls to swine.
    (A.Pushkin)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

My congratulations to you and the terrorists you keep on supporting!

US airstrike was ‘generous gift’ to Islamic State — Chechen leader

World
    April 08, 7:17 UTC+3 MOSCOW
    "The way was cleared for terrorists," Ramzan Kadyrov said.

Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov

© Yelena Afonina/TASS

MOSCOW, April 8. /TASS/. The US air strike on a Syrian air force base in Homs became a "generous gift" for terrorists in Syria, Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov said on his Instagram page.
    Read also

Defense Ministry: Militants launch massive attack on Syrian troops after US missile strike

"The blood of civilians was spilled by missiles from their (US) warships in a generous gift for the IS (Islamic State terrorist group, outlawed in Russia - TASS). The exhausted army of (Syrian President Bashar) Asad lost up to ten aircraft. The way was cleared for terrorists," Kadyrov said.
    However, the Chechen leader said, the West chose to turn a blind eye to this blatant violation of the international law.
    "The world does not dare to voice any objection against US actions," he said. "The European Parliament, which reacts to every minor issue in Russia, now holds its tongue."
    On an order from US President Donald Trump, the US armed forces fired a total of 59 Tomahawk subsonic cruise missiles at a military airfield in Syria’s Homs Governorate. The deadly strike came as a response for the chemical attack in Idlib on April 4 and targeted what Washington claims was a starting location for the attack.
    Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Moscow views the incident as an aggression against a sovereign state.
    According to the Russian Defense Ministry’s spokesman, Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov, Syrian militants launched a large-scale offensive on positions held by the Syrian government troops shortly after the strike.

More:
    http://tass.com/world/940247
    Indifferent alike to praise or blame
    Give heed, O Muse, but to the voice Divine
    Fearing not injury, nor seeking fame,
    Nor casting pearls to swine.
    (A.Pushkin)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    PS
    D #98

"What's Russia's expectation from such moves ? That America will suddenly start quaking in its shoes, suddenly abandon its values and its commitment to stand up for, and fight for, what is RIGHT ?" D #98

True, but potentially immaterial.

"Mutual Assured Destruction (M.A.D.)" may have enabled U.S. to survive the Cold War. -You kill us, we'll kill you even worse!-

- fabulous -

The question is, which of these two madmen, Putin or Trump, is the more dangerous.

They've gone from bromance to sabre-rattling in just a few months.

You can do whatever you like.
    But if you have some spare time,
    might not be a bad opportunity to update the supplies in your fallout shelter.
    You won't survive a TNE.

BUT !!

At least you'll have a little more time to catch up on I Love Lucy archives before the human race is extinguished by these two world-class geniuses.
    Yeah, and I'm not holding my breath waiting for Dems to admit their Trump/Putin sneaky relationship "news" was nothing but partisan crap.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Yeah, and I'm not holding my breath waiting for Dems to admit their Trump/Putin sneaky relationship "news" was nothing but partisan crap.
    Nearly certain much was partisan crap.

Then again, Trump seems to suddenly have 'awakened' to the threat of chemical weapons on men, women, and children. North Korea has been acting badly, now it's leaked that China has been put on notice that we may be moving nukes back to South Korea, within spitting distance of both China and Russia.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'm not going with 'you're wrong,' but do think that beyond a doubt we have troops in Syria, more every month. We just don't know everything there is to know, nor should we.
    Re: your last sentence- exactly!

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Nearly certain much was partisan crap.

Then again, Trump seems to suddenly have 'awakened' to the threat of chemical weapons on men, women, and children. North Korea has been acting badly, now it's leaked that China has been put on notice that we may be moving nukes back to South Korea, within spitting distance of both China and Russia.
    I'm sure as a businessman there is much about the world political stage the he needs to learn. We need to hope he is a quick learner, and will proceed cautiously.

My point was strictly that Dems will never acknowledge that the Trump/Putin bromance was anti- Trump media bias bs.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I'm sure as a businessman there is much about the world political stage the he needs to learn. We need to hope he is a quick learner, and will proceed cautiously.

My point was strictly that Dems will never acknowledge that the Trump/Putin bromance was anti- Trump media bias bs.
    Again, an argument that I agree with. At the same time, there are certainly reasons that pretty much all agreed with his decision the other night, to respond.

He may well fall within the limits of other presidents I truly did not like, that certainly helped the US in the long term, where historically their positive moves are shown in a better light. While it doesn't change their character flaws, whatever they may have been, the fact that they did more to benefit is eventually acknowledge by all but those that are dishonest.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

@Abbey you may find this article interesting. Nearly everyone knows where I stood on the last election, but as I said from the beginning, I'd give it time. The decisions of this week give me reasons to keep giving him time:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...-theory-214999

[QUOTE]<header class="" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: proxima-nova, &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; text-align: center;">President Not-Obama

How Trump’s Syria strike got even some key Obama advisers cheering.
    </header>
    By SUSAN B. GLASSER
    April 07, 2017

Is this the week Donald Trump found a foreign policy? Or a foreign policy found him?

President Trump bombed Syria, talked tough on North Korea, dumped his chief political ideologist, Steve Bannon, from his National Security Council, opened up a rift with Russia over the Middle East, and summited with the leaders of Egypt, Jordan and China.

Amid the head-spinning drumbeat of new developments, few doubted that Trump had made what conservative commentator Byron York called a “whiplash-inducing change” in his administration’s foreign policy, by all accounts impulsively jumping into a Syrian quagmire he had long pledged to avoid, and doing so in response to the televised barbarity of a chemical attack just days after his own top advisers publicly declared they were no longer interested in forcing Syrian dictator Bashar Assad from power.

Ever since his shocking election upset victory in November, national security hands have been waiting for Trump’s first international crisis to understand more about how an untested president would lead, and this week will undoubtedly be studied as key to decoding his presidency’s emerging—and fast-evolving—approach to the world. So what have we learned from all the months of debating whether Trump will prove to be the “America First” neo-isolationist leader his campaign rhetoric suggested, or a dangerous warmonger who’s promised not to let the United States get pushed around anymore, now that the crisis has actually erupted?

First and perhaps most important: No matter how Trump ultimately comes out of the foreign-policy ideology test, what he really seems to want to be on the world stage is the not-Obama. And when faced with a choice, the best way to understand what Trump will do is to expect he will opt to differentiate himself as much as possible from his predecessor.

“He’s proved he’s not Obama—and that’s useful to him,” one former senior Obama official told me, one of many veterans of the previous administration I spoke with Friday who were supportive of Trump’s airstrike on Syria.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I think this is true for many of us:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ria-airstrike/

APR. 7, 2017 AT 3:27 PMMost Senators Support Trump’s Syria Airstrike

But many have reservations about what comes next.

By Perry Bacon Jr.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

From the above link:

NUMBER OF SENATORS
    POSITION ON INITIAL STRIKES DEMS GOP TOTAL
    Strong support 1 32 33
    Support with qualifications about next steps 29 17 46
    No clear position with reservations about next steps 13 2 15
    Oppose 5 1 6
    <footer class="viz" style="box-sizing: border-box; text-rendering: optimizeLegibility; margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-top-style: initial; border-right-style: initial; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: initial; border-top-color: initial; border-right-color: initial; border-bottom-color: rgb(240, 240, 240); border-left-color: initial; border-image: initial; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 17px; line-height: inherit; font-family: ArnhemPro, Georgia, &quot;Times New Roman&quot;, serif; vertical-align: baseline;">As of 6:30 p.m. on April 7, 2017
    SOURCES: PUBLIC STATEMENTS AND MEDIA REPORTS
    </footer>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Flights resumed at the airport we struck. Appears the missiles didn't do jack shit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    Flights resumed at the airport we struck. Appears the missiles didn't do jack shit.
    What part of "Trump was sending a message" are you failing to grasp?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

From the above link:

NUMBER OF SENATORS
    POSITION ON INITIAL STRIKES DEMS GOP TOTAL
    Strong support 1 32 33
    Support with qualifications about next steps 29 17 46
    No clear position with reservations about next steps 13 2 15
    Oppose 5 1 6
    <footer class="viz" style="box-sizing: border-box; text-rendering: optimizeLegibility; margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-top-style: initial; border-right-style: initial; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: initial; border-top-color: initial; border-right-color: initial; border-bottom-color: rgb(240, 240, 240); border-left-color: initial; border-image: initial; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 17px; line-height: inherit; font-family: ArnhemPro, Georgia, &quot;Times New Roman&quot;, serif; vertical-align: baseline;">As of 6:30 p.m. on April 7, 2017
    SOURCES: PUBLIC STATEMENTS AND MEDIA REPORTS
    </footer>
    I'm guessing rand Paul was the oppose.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post