Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I don't believe so. Not two hundred years ago. They were, for the most part, puritans. Our world has changed dramatically... for the worse. Everyone is guilty, daily, including myself. I'm sure I break something. You too.
    So ask yourself this: Why would puritanical Christians, if they were intending to establish a government based on Christian principles, codify the concept of "freedom of religion" when doing so would be, or at a minimum facilitate, a clear violation of the First Commandment?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    So ask yourself this: Why would puritanical Christians, if they were intending to establish a government based on Christian principles, codify the concept of "freedom of religion" when doing so would be, or at a minimum facilitate, a clear violation of the First Commandment?
    Because they never intended to "force" anyone to worship "only" Christ. They wanted people to be free to worship whatever God they wanted. But that does NOT take away from the fact that the founders were "themselves" Christian by and large.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Pale's point is well taken, but I would also add that they fervently believed that a nation whose laws were based on the guiding principles of Christianity would be a strong one, and one that God blesses. In addition, many of these men were well versed in history, and knew well what happened to countries that turned to immorality.

That is far different from trying to establish a theocracy; far from forcing anyone to be worship the Christian God.
    Last edited by Abbey Marie; 07-07-2007 at 10:53 PM.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Pale's point is well taken, but I would also add that they fervently believed that a nation whose laws were based on the guiding principles of Christianity would be a strong one, and one that God blesses. In addition, many of these men were well versed in history, and knew well what happened to countries that turned to immorality.

That is far different from trying to establish a theocracy; far from forcing anyone to be worship the Christian God.
    A government founded by Christians is a far cry from a government founded on Christian principles, especially when you consider they intentionally left out what has to be considered the most important Christian ideal...the First Commandment. Without it, there is no Christianity.

Any suggestion that freedom of religion is a Christian concept is laughable. Without the restraint of man's law Christianity would be just as tyrannical as any other religion that's achieved too much power.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

A government founded by Christians is a far cry from a government founded on Christian principles, especially when you consider they intentionally left out what has to be considered the most important Christian ideal...the First Commandment. Without it, there is no Christianity.

Any suggestion that freedom of religion is a Christian concept is laughable. Without the restraint of man's law Christianity would be just as tyrannical as any other religion that's achieved too much power.
    Can you show me a bible passage where Jesus stated that people should be forced to worship Him? You cannot. In fact, the whole of Christianity is based on man's free will to choose to worship Him or not. No true Christian would ever dream of incorporating the 1st Commandment into our nation's law. To do so would be to prove de facto that you are not a follower of Christ. To try to say otherwise is indeed laughable.
    Last edited by Abbey Marie; 07-08-2007 at 02:00 PM.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Can you show me a bible passage where Jesus stated that people should be forced to worship Him? You cannot. In fact, the whole of Christinaity is based on man's free will to choose to worship Him or not. No true Christian would ever dream of incorporating the 1st Commandment into our nation's law. To do so would be to prove de facto that you are not a follower of Christ. To try to say otherwise is indeed laughable.
    "Thou shall have no other god" is a direct contradiction to "worship who you choose".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ................

"Thou shall have no other god" is a direct contradiction to "worship who you choose".
    I was just about to post that.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Funny how no one who actually believes in the ten commandments agrees with you. Take Joshua for example:

"15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Joshua 24:15)

Now here we have the words of a man taught directly by Moses and also by the Lord. Obviously there was no contradiction for the Israelites a generation later. Why then should this interpretation be rejected for your own?

The Lord doesnt force anyone into anything. He gives us a choice. So choose this day whom you will serve.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Abbey and Avatar4321 are apparently unfamiliar with the term <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coercion"><b>COERCION.</b></a>
    "... whenever any number of men, calling themselves a government, do anything to another man, or to his property, which they had no right to do as individuals, they thereby declare themselves trespassers, robbers, or murderers, according to the nature of their acts." - Lysander Spooner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When refering specifically to religon, you're right. When refering to a government, you're wrong. Seperate the two... remember... "seperation of church and state?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LOki View Post
    Abbey and Avatar4321 are apparently unfamiliar with the term <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coercion"><b>COERCION.</b></a>
    It is you, grasshopper, that is confused.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is you, grasshopper, that is confused.
    Still making shit up from nothing but your imagination I see. Bravo!
    Last edited by LOki; 07-08-2007 at 07:43 AM.
    "... whenever any number of men, calling themselves a government, do anything to another man, or to his property, which they had no right to do as individuals, they thereby declare themselves trespassers, robbers, or murderers, according to the nature of their acts." - Lysander Spooner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LOki View Post
    Still making shit up from nothing but your imagination I see. Bravo!
    My reality is based here on earth, in America. It is your's that appears to be off somewhere else. Andromeda perhaps?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My reality is based here on earth, in America. It is your's that appears to be off somewhere else. Andromeda perhaps?
    I suppose you find this distracting from the reality of having no actual game--I'll enjoy your return.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Geez, I wouldn't have thought his needed to be explained, but here goes. God gave us free will to worship Him, or not. If you choose to worship Him, there are rules He wants you to follow, including, that you shall have no other "god's" before him. The Jews of the time needed to hear this message, btw, as they were following Moses into the promised land, yet falling back into worshipping other "gods".

So, since we are discussing Christianity, I will repeat, can you show me anywhere in the Bible where Jesus says that God is coercing us to worship Him? In fact, Jesus says that if you ask Him into your heart, He will enter. Dose that sound coercive to you?

-Abbey