Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
Abbey. I have to agree with Gunny on this one. It may sound romantic in a way, to hear that happening...at first. But Gunny and I both know, living on a ship, UNDER a flight deck, where AIR OPS take place almost 24/7 for six months or more...SOON gets pretty old, tiring, and SLEEPLESS. Especially when (As I Did) stand 12, or 8 hour watches that rotate every three days, giving you only a small window to actually get some sleep.

Those Harriers Gunny spoke of....I remember as well aboard the USS Nassau, during Operation Desert Shield, and Desert Storm in 1990-91. We left Norfolk August 18, 1990, and the ship didn't get home until May of 1991.

That video I posted is on a carrier that NEVER STOPS launching, and landing aircraft. The only difference between being there in person, and watching the video is....YOU CAN TURN OFF THE VOLUME.
I miss going to sea, but I will never miss ENDLESS NOISE. Even when the aircraft stop...being around 5000 other people ALL THE TIME...isn't as nice as it looks.
Oh yeah. 368 days straight sea time. We were on our way home and they turned us around and sent us back to the Gulf. Not to mention Stop-Loss cost me 7 months time in grade. Any wonder I hated Saddam?