Quote Originally Posted by Taco Junkie View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong.

A runner leaps over the pile and extends the ball and breaks the plane of the goal, then the ball is swatted out of his hands and there's a scrum and whoever recovers at the 5 yard line. But the touchdown stands because essentially the play ended when he broke the plane of the goal line so no fumble. Am I correct? I've seen this happen hundreds of times.

A receiver catches the ball, turns and extends the ball across the plane of the goal in one movement but the ball comes out on contact with the turf or another player and we have no catch. Is that correct? If so can anyone explain that logic (non) to me?
Except when he turns into a runner. Normally just "breaking the plane" makes it a TD, but he went on the ground, and then reached across and lost control for a split little second, while never losing the ball of course, but enough for them to state it was an incimplete pass. If he stayed in the air, and just reached across with the ball, and then was tackled back at the one, it would have been a TD.