Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

These stolen valor guys just piss me off. If I had a nickel for every "Rambo" I have met over the years I could retire to my own Caribbean Island in the style I would love to become accustomed to. In fact, I have met or heard about so many of these supposed heroes, it makes me wonder where the hell the REAL veterans are. You know, the guy or gal that served 4 years as a cook, truck driver or clerk. They are more a hero than the pukes pretending to have fought off the entire enemy horde with a pen knife and 550 cord.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    That's just it ... people full of war stories always raise an eyebrow with me first. Sure, we let stuff slip here and there on the board over the YEARS, but we aren't constantly wearing our medals under everyone's noses.

I've NEVER met a vet in a bar that wasn't Marine Recon, A SEAL, or a Green Beret/Ranger. THAT is what offends me about the stolen valor bullshit. They cheapen my MOS, and if I bother to tell anyone what it was (which I really don't), you get looked at like you're just another full of shit bar hero. Assholes like this guy ruined any of that for me eons ago. Someone comes up to me and tell me they are a vet (I usually wear a Marines ball cap) , I buy 'em a beer and change the subject. They usually leave quick enough because they want to brag about something they never did and I'm not interested is stamped on MY forehead.

This clown will at least have to move after he gets done being hammered. I'm quite sure he is going to have to account for some funding for his "unit". It's a shame for those guys and I hope they can keep their unit after he's wiped off the chalkboard.
    I hear ya there. I only spent 8 years in the AF. Was planning on lifing it but got out because of medical problems that are still with me today. But I spent 4 years at Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, NV, and 4 years at MacDill AFB in Tampa, FL, and I've talked to enough veterans that I know were only in one term, and they have endless stories, they go on and on and on, and it DOES leave me thinking, I'll bet only a fraction of this shit is true. Yes I have a few stories after 8 years of service, but every stinking day of active duty wasn't note worthy. It was the same shit, different day. Go to work, fix the jets, go home.

One of these people is my nieces husband who spent 10 years in the Air Force and was deployed to Iraq, but he has stories on top of stories on top of stories, and I mean even stories that include being in COMBAT. NEVER heard of such of thing in the AF. My brother in Law who's a Marine like yourself, he and I both pretty much figure mister AF combat man is spreading it a little THICK. I like the guy so for the sake of keeping the peace, we just let him ramble on.

My older brother spent two tours in Vietnam in the Army as a canon cocker, God rest his soul. When he got out he didn't want to say SHIT about it. Most veterans I know that have been in actual combat DON'T want to talk about.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 12-17-2017 at 09:42 AM.

4. Thanks CSM, Elessar thanked this post
    Likes CSM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I really don't want to be offensive here, and I DO get why you are angry, but- does his honor guard work ameliorate any of this? We just had a military honor guard at my WWII veteran Dad's funeral, and it really was much loved by everyone. We all agreed it was the most touching and important moment of the day.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

6. Thanks aboutime, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I really don't want to be offensive here, and I DO get why you are angry, but- does his honor guard work ameliorate any of this? We just had a military honor guard at my WWII veteran Dad's funeral, and it really was much loved by everyone. We all agreed it was the most touching and important moment of the day.
    No forgiveness. The crime outweighs anything he might have done. His honor guard work was done under false pretenses. That means everyone who used that honor guard until he got busted is going to feel deceived and cheated. At a minimum, there will always be a ? in their minds when dealing with anything that has to do with veterans. He stole their trust.

He stole the trust of the actual veterans he deceived into becoming art of the honor guard. Just as bad, he laso gave the media something to blow out of proportion and beat to death and portray the military in a negative way.

Let me turn the question around: How would YOU feel if you found out "the most touching and imortant moment of the day" was led by a fraud? Someone who should not have been there and did not EARN the right to be there as he presented himself?

Here's the kicker ... this guy had 8 years active duty? He could have legitimately started an honor guard through the VFW and/or VA with a HONEST request. But then, he wouldn't have been big man on campus the right way. The ranking person would be in charge. That wouldn't do for someone whose main point is his own ego and being adored even if the adoration is for a lie.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Abbey. No offense taken. His intent was purely honorable, but veterans who know he is just a pretender do not want to take away from the Day. Behind the scenes. People like him dishonor those who he pretends to honor in his false way...designed only to be welcomed, or thanked for what he is doing. That, in itself is a Dishonor to other Real Veterans. That's just how we see it. Hope you see how we feel as well.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

10. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Obviously... there's good and bad in this situation.

It's sad... the man let his ego ruin his good intentions.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 12-19-2017 at 04:55 PM.

12. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Obviously... there's good and bad in this situation.

It's sad... the man let his ego ruin his good intentions.
    I don't believe he had any good intention. I think his "good intentions" are incidental to his seeking more adulation from others.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

14. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I don't believe he had any good intention. I think his "good intentions" are incidental to his seeking more adulation from others.
    Good point.

16. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

There's no such thing as "stolen valor" and unless it can be proven that he profited financially the law will hold him blameless. If he was "well liked" and established a color guard, that shows his innocence. All of those military trinkets mean essentially nothing, life is just a one-act play and this guy was simply fulfilling a role, he really did nothing wrong.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GravyBoat View Post
    There's no such thing as "stolen valor" and unless it can be proven that he profited financially the law will hold him blameless. If he was "well liked" and established a color guard, that shows his innocence. All of those military trinkets mean essentially nothing, life is just a one-act play and this guy was simply fulfilling a role, he really did nothing wrong.
    Trolls must troll.

19. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

OH... MY... FUCKING... GAWD...

Negged...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 12-19-2017 at 05:58 PM.

21. Thanks Gunny, Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Ain't no way in hell you were ever in the Army.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Ain't no way in hell you were ever in the Army.
    I don't Think Oliver Stone would even talk like that.

24. Likes High_Plains_Drifter, LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

"Military trinkets"? Are you shitting me??? Obviously you have no fucking idea what the hell you are talking about! Some of those "trinkets" represent far more honor, integrity and service than you will ever know. If you don't know what those words mean...google them and educate yourself...

and yes, you have managed to piss me off... and that is not easy to do.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    "Military trinkets"? Are you shitting me??? Obviously you have no fucking idea what the hell you are talking about! Some of those "trinkets" represent far more honor, integrity and service than you will ever know. If you don't know what those words mean...google them and educate yourself...

and yes, you have managed to piss me off... and that is not easy to do.
    Obviously the "ARMY" logo that has been put by his board name was put there by mistake.

I don't believe ANY veteran, of ANY branch, would say something so ASININE.

27. Thanks CSM thanked this post
    Likes CSM liked this post