Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I am electronics ignorant, just a dumb Boatswain's Mate.

What does it do?
    It's an audio/video, integrated preamp/amp.

Pretty much a very high end, home theater receiver, minus the receiver(tuner), that acts like a processor/amp. I never listen to radio on my home theater anyway so who needs that?

I've always done a step up every time I replace a unit in my home theater, and I have a Denon AVR-4810CI now which was the Denon flagship home theater receiver in 2010, and it retailed for $3,000.00. It is a work horse and built like a Sherman tank. The problem is being 8 years old now, it doesn't have 4K pass through or bluetooth or Dolby Atmos, etc, all the new goodies, and I do need the 4K HDR pass through. I can't even plug my Mediacom TiVo box into it because it's set to output native 4K 60fps, and the Denon flat out rejects it, won't display it, not even pass through. Best it can pass is regular old hidef, 1080p. 4K is 2160p.

So I'd LOVE to have the new Rotel. Rotel is very high end, high quality stuff known for it's outstanding sound... but that $3,800 price tag has got me holding back. All my CC's are paid off, and the only thing I owe on is the new gym, and I could pay that off right now. I like to make those payments though because it looks great on your credit report. But when I get the gym paid off, and we get that 2.8% COLA raise... I'll probably pull the trigger on the Rotel. I know I'll be very anxious to drop that kind of money, but when I get it home and get it set up and start listening to it, all that will disappear...

I don't think I'll ever get tired of music. Jamming the tunes is something I still do, almost daily, and I like the high end equipment. The sound has to be experienced. If you've never listened to high end audio before, you really have no idea what you're missing.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 10-18-2018 at 09:18 AM.