Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
The one good part to this bitter cold, we'll have a lot less BUGS around this year because when it gets down below -30 like it did, it even kills eggs that are hibernating waiting to hatch in the Spring. We didn't have squat for winter for the last 3 years, and consequently we had a lot of bugs, so I'm almost glad we had this blistering, dangerous cold spell. If it got rid of some of the overabundance of insects, including mosquitoes, then I'm ok with a few days of super cold. Now it's going the other way and it's going to be way above average temps again, in the 40's, massive swing.
We didn't get the power cuts it was suggested we might get, after all ...

I think mine was one of the last places in the UK to see some snow. Started falling around 11pm, my time .. lasted for around 6 hours. No great problem, in my locality, as it turned out, though there were reports of a road in the Devon / Cornwall area that had five miles of traffic on it that couldn't move, the hapless drivers being stuck for most if not all of the night with their vehicles.

Big disruptions to public transport continuing ... many schools closed ... because we're incapable, apparently, of coping with a ten centimetre snowfall ..... and by our standards, 'very cold' weather, hovering around (just above) freezing point.

The coldest parts of the UK would've seen temperatures plunge to around -16 centigrade (PLUS 3 degrees F). It was the UK's coldest night for seven years.