Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
What the hell... Amazon owns Ring...

I don't know Jim... I won't bring any of that crap in to my house. It's bad enough the surveillance power and potential in our cell phones...

You know why no one talks about Orwell's 1984 and "Big Brother" anymore? Because so many have happily brought it through their front doors...

Apple, Google, Amazon... thanks but no thanks, I can set my thermostat and turn on my lights and electronics all by myself thankyouverymuch...
I always take that stuff into account, but to an extent. For example, I won't be using a camera to monitor inside the home areas, as that "may" be problematic. Video will be of front walkway and rear and side entry ways. Nothing personal really. So if they wanna monitor what I see out my doorbell, or how often I bring my dog outside, so be it. And with the automated lights, same thing really. My phone is still 10x worse than all of the ring stuff collectively!!

A lot of folks get the pan Cams and stick them all around inside the homes, and that's much different. Folks are now IN the home and usually audio included. Not for me. Fun for testing, but out they go.

So all in all it's automated lighting and outdoors entry ways. And 3 tiny steplights inside, of which no cam or audio, simply and only tony lights. Motion lights and security cameras have been around forever. Now, it's the introduction of the internet & online storage and what not. I'm aware of such things so try to protect myself as I go along, to avoid any privacy issues.

BUT - if someone just willy nilly starts placing 9 indoor cams and such, and connect it to the internet and store all the records there - you're almost asking to be hacked or watched!! So placement and knowledge are huge! And not just disabling certain things as well, but knowing how to TRULY disable things!