Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Well... I didn't think I addressed that issue. I was trying to be specific about the lack of personal protection for caregivers, and how I felt about them possibly condemning themselves to a death sentence to resuscitate someone. I could go over it all again but, there shouldn't be a need to be redundant.

The issue you stated above is an even more grave one I think. Something I'm not sure I know enough about to render an opinion, other than, what is the tipping point where we either all get back to work, or some of us get back to work, or none of us and just let our nation entirely implode? What do we do? Hard question to answer far as I'm concerned, but that time is coming, quick.
    If having the proper equipment available is the issue, than this conversation really is just a waste of time.

I thought the point that Abbey was making, which has been in the news for at least a few days, longer if one pays attention to Italy and other countries running ahead of us. The point being that doctors in Italy by circumstances-as they are locked down and staying shut-are forced by sheer numbers to make choices on who gets ventilators and even beds. Over a week ago some hospitals were refusing admission to anyone over 60, regardless of how sick.

Now we have the President getting antsy about the economy, for good reasons. However, he has even indirectly addressed the issue of the vulnerable, the cure shouldn't be worse than the problem. Dead older, weaker folks cannot be the chief concern. Younger, stronger people might get depressed and off themselves. That would be bad, very bad.

So, prioritizing resources may well necessitate kicking an older person off the ventilator or even just send them home with some well wishes and hopes. The young who are temporarily ill, need them. Odds are much better for and with them.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    If having the proper equipment available is the issue, than this conversation really is just a waste of time.

I thought the point that Abbey was making, which has been in the news for at least a few days, longer if one pays attention to Italy and other countries running ahead of us. The point being that doctors in Italy by circumstances-as they are locked down and staying shut-are forced by sheer numbers to make choices on who gets ventilators and even beds. Over a week ago some hospitals were refusing admission to anyone over 60, regardless of how sick.

Now we have the President getting antsy about the economy, for good reasons. However, he has even indirectly addressed the issue of the vulnerable, the cure shouldn't be worse than the problem. Dead older, weaker folks cannot be the chief concern. Younger, stronger people might get depressed and off themselves. That would be bad, very bad.

So, prioritizing resources may well necessitate kicking an older person off the ventilator or even just send them home with some well wishes and hopes. The young who are temporarily ill, need them. Odds are much better for and with them.
    That was very well explained... thanks. My earlier opinion was somewhat related, but a minor issue comparatively.

I guess all I could add to that is... I hope and pray we don't get to that point.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-26-2020 at 06:06 PM.