Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
Man, I have to strongly urge you to stay away from McAfee and Norton. They're terrible, unreliable and bloated antivirals.

The best anti-virus I've found is Webroot. Not free, but like $20 per year. Extremely lightweight - doesn't slow your machine down - and the best protection.

And super fast - it scans my laptop in under 90 seconds.
Since you said it...

I worked with McAfee in the professional world and worked on 2,000 machines that used it. And likely worked on no less than 1500 of them over the years and some of them 50x or more.

I found McAfee severely slowed down every machine it touched. Now mind you though, that was the mid-90's & Win 95 at first and onto XP after that. The machines were fast for the time as money was no object to them, but still horribly slow by today's standards, and more so with McAfee installed. I liked the software but not the performance. And I found that after complete removal, it still left remnants around the PC causing issues. It wasn't bloated for our corporate version but might as well have been with the speed.

And Norton was similar but ran a little faster - but was actually worse in leaving shit behind. Never used either of them again. Perhaps they are awesome today, I don't know, after those horrid experiences I simply never tried. LTG gives it a thumbs up so I'm confident that they learned over the years and got better.

I see Norton is one of the highest ranked today.

And believe it or not, McAfee is on many lists too. So who knows, but for folks that worked on it on the early years may be hesitant today.

What a coinkydinky, got McAfee, Norton, Webroot and Kaspersky as the first 5 on the list!! Just one list though, but I go by the averages of overall. I just wish that subscription shit never happened to gouge you yearly and go back to a one time price!

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best...rus-protection