Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default 9/11 Mastermind - 20 years later and still no trial

WTF is up with that?

If I had my way I would have had him take his last breath 20 years ago. Instead...?

---

20 years after 9/11, mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed still awaits trial. What went wrong?

It's all about how the justice system at Guantanamo was set up, says one national security expert: "The system is set up to fail."

GUANTÁNAMO BAY, Cuba — It should be the trial of the century, but most Americans long ago stopped paying attention.

Two decades after the 9/11 attacks and nine years after war crimes charges were filed, the pretrial wrangling in the case against accused 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other defendants resumed Tuesday after a long Covid shutdown. It marked KSM's first court appearance in more than a year. No trial date has been set, and none is anticipated any time soon.

Alka Pradhan, a civilian employee of the Defense Department who represents one of the five, called what's happening here a "farce." While other lawyers decline to go that far, nearly everyone seems to agree that the effort to bring these defendants to justice has gone badly off the rails.

"This failure is not on the people prosecuting, defending or the judges involved," said Kevin Powers, a national security expert at Boston College who once advised the Pentagon's office of military commissions on Guantánamo issues. "It's really the way the system was set up. And that's what really people have to understand: The system is set up to fail."

Rest - https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...still-n1278592
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks icansayit, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Two reasons....

LAWYERS who make BIG bucks, and the ACLU who get paid by the TAXPAYER whether they WIN or LOSE.

The ACLU will fight for even the WORST of the WORST...They have NOTHING TO LOSE.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

4. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    several homes in the American west and one in the UK
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

The underpinning of the law for military tribunals has been successfully challenged for almost two decades.

He will not to to trial for years yet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    LAWYERS who make BIG bucks, and the ACLU who get paid by the TAXPAYER whether they WIN or LOSE.

The ACLU will fight for even the WORST of the WORST...They have NOTHING TO LOSE.

...​So true....!!