Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Clearwater Beach, FL... doesn't get much better than this...

Hurricanes!
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Hurricanes!
    Was in hurricane Elena while in Tampa... I'd much rather go through that than a tornado in WI.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I'm thinking high humidity all the time, alligators, and huge bugs.

But you seem determined.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I'm thinking high humidity all the time, alligators, and huge bugs.

But you seem determined.
    That's true... the humidity can be stifling, and since it never freezes, the bugs are gargantuan, the biggest spiders I've ever seen in my life, and fleas and cock roaches are a real problem. Never heard of 'gators being a problem around Tampa, but I know you have to keep your eyes peeled in other places in the state.

I've been giving this a LOT of thought, about ALL things I have here that I wouldn't have in Florida. Here in Wisconsin I have 250,000 acres of DNR land to go play in that's just a couple miles from me, and there's millions more all over the state. I have friends that own 500 and 600+ plus acre farms I can go hunt or shooting on, and that DNR land is going to open up to ATV's and UTV's. That's one of the cool things about Wisconsin, there's a lot of land. I have no idea where I'd ever go shoot my guns in Florida, and I hate ranges. I don't like being around a lot of other people shooting guns that I don't know. Having LAND to go play or shooting on is a big deal in my book. Another thing is, I have friends here that I have known for 30+ years. They're old, dear friends. I used to bartend here at a bunch of different places way back in the day, so I got to know a lot of people, and in small town Wisconsin, you just get to know a lot of people, I don't know if that means anything to anyone else, but that means a lot to me. I like having old friends that I know I can trust under any circumstances. Starting all over making new friends seems like a daunting task at my age, since I don't really trust anyone I don't know.

So... after sleeping on it and much thought, I think the best thing for me to do is go back to my plan to buy a nice trailer, one with a bathroom and small washer and dryer, and just go down south each winter for a few months. And if in doing that at some point I decide that I would like to just live down there, then move.

One way or another, my days of spending winter in Wisconsin are going to come to an end.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 04-17-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

That's true... the humidity can be stifling, and since it never freezes, the bugs are gargantuan, the biggest spiders I've ever seen in my life, and fleas and cock roaches are a real problem. Never heard of 'gators being a problem around Tampa, but I know you have to keep your eyes peeled in other places in the state.

I've been giving this a LOT of thought, about ALL things I have here that I wouldn't have in Florida. Here in Wisconsin I have 250,000 acres of DNR land to go play in that's just a couple miles from me, and there's millions more all over the state. I have friends that own 500 and 600+ plus acre farms I can go hunt or shooting on, and that DNR land is going to open up to ATV's and UTV's. That's one of the cool things about Wisconsin, there's a lot of land. I have no idea where I'd ever go shoot my guns in Florida, and I hate ranges. I don't like being around a lot of other people shooting guns that I don't know. Having LAND to go play or shooting on is a big deal in my book. Another thing is, I have friends here that I have known for 30+ years. They're old, dear friends. I used to bartend here at a bunch of different places way back in the day, so I got to know a lot of people, and in small town Wisconsin, you just get to know a lot of people, I don't know if that means anything to anyone else, but that means a lot to me. I like having old friends that I know I can trust under any circumstances. Starting all over making new friends seems like a daunting task at my age, since I don't really trust anyone I don't know.

So... after sleeping on it and much thought, I think the best thing for me to do is go back to my plan to buy a nice trailer, one with a bathroom and small washer and dryer, and just go down south each winter for a few months. And if in doing that at some point I decide that I would like to just live down there, then move.

One way or another, my days of spending winter in Wisconsin are going to come to an end.
    Now that sounds like a plan, T. And you can then go on adventures anywhere you want.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Hurricanes!
    Yes, but they are not surprises, like tornadoes or earthquakes. Plenty of heads up, to decide whether or not one needs to seek higher ground.

I've not spent much time on Florida's southwest coast, but plenty time on the Gulf in Florida panhandle. I LOVE IT!
    We were stationed in Jacksonville, Florida for 11 years. We loved it!
    I keep trying the wife that wet should move to southwest Florida. About ten more years in the PNW and hopefully after real retirement, we'll get to move to Florida or Texas.

I worked with a guy, in the Navy, in Connecticut. He was from Ohio. He absolutely hated snow. He was getting out of the Navy. When asked where he was moving to, he said, "I don't know. I'm going to tie a snow shovel to the front of our van and drive south. When someone says, 'WTF is that?' I'll know that I've gone far enough."
    I always loved that answer!
    Telling someone they have to be “politically correct” is a violation of their 1st Amendment right.
    People’s feelings are NOT protected, under the US Constitution.